Reply To This Topic

World's easiest quiz
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
I'll post answers in a few hours.

1) How long did the Hundred Years' War last ?

2) Which country makes Panama hats ?

3) From which animal do we get cat gut ?

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution ?

5) What is a camel's hair brush made of ?

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal ?

7) What was King George VI's first name ?

8) What color is a purple finch ?

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from ?

10) What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane ?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
10. Orange Wink

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
1. 116 years

2. Equador

3. Sheep

4.November.

OK Someone else take it from here......

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal ?

I don't know, but the ones in the Atlantic are named after the sound the human inhabitants made to communicate.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:

That's easy.......China.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Admirable job!

Here are the official answers:
ANSWERS

1) How long did the Hundred Years War last ?
116 years

Ecuador

3) From which animal do we get cat gut ?
Sheep and Horses

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution ?
November

5) What is a camel's hair brush made of ?
Squirrel fur

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal ?
Dogs

7) What was King George VI's first name ?
Albert

8) What color is a purple finch ?
Crimson

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from ?
New Zealand

10) What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane ?
Orange (of course!)

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Admirable job!

Here are the official answers:
ANSWERS

What is the color of the black box in a commercial airplane ?
Orange (of course!)

I am 5 years retired, but we still had some black boxes, I think. Flight recorders took all different shapes, locations and colors in the early years. Even a sphere, which happened to be yellow. The black boxes that I remember being around the longest were in some of our earlier 727s, which we kept for short fields, like San Diego and Steamboat Springs, as well as some Caribbean and Latin American flights.

Since we acquired a lot of of our fleet from other airlines, it was always an Easter Egg hunt to find it, and always a Christmas Morning surprise to see which variety it was.

They were supposed to be replaced by the newer ones, but the aircraft interfaces were not up to date, and we kept getting extensions from the FAA.

All the later ones, from the DC10 forward are International Orange with a diagonal reflective white stripe. They also have a radio beacon that starts to transmit when it gets wet.

I don't know how that black box thing got started, because we had the yellow ball on the 707s and the black box on the 727s. I don't remember what the other aircraft had.

Anyway, most avionics circuits were in black wrinkle finish boxes that slid in and out of racks with receptacles. As we transitioned from piston aircraft with DC electric systems, the jets had AC power and much of the previously hard wired components were in boxes for ease of replacing and trouble shooting.
The term Black Box meant any one of them. I think the news media picked up on the Black Box term as something they could say that made the listener think they knew what they were talking about. We often chuckled when we heard the Black Box spoken of, because we knew there was a whole bunch of them, and the thing they really wanted was a yellow ball. At least, on our aircraft. Later, most of our electronics boxes were were smooth gray.

I wish I had counted, but I'd guess the dedicated compartment under the cockpit of the DC10 had a hundred. Each box was full of cards. The entertainment and reading lights had hundreds of boxes, three for each pair or trio of seats. And, each cabin zone had a couple of boxes to coordinate all the little boxes at the seats.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always heard it was a geek reference to anything that was electronic and mysterious, but I like your historical perspective as I never knew there were so many varieties.

It probably occurred to the first few crash scene investigators that there are better colors than gray, black, sand-tone, etc. Once again an amazing feat getting the French to concede to an International standard they didn't think of!!

I ave to wonder why the don't telespond info to satellite and ground stations continuously with today's level of electronic sophistication. It seems antique to have the recording on-board the fated craft.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

I ave to wonder why the don't telespond info to satellite and ground stations continuously with today's level of electronic sophistication.

Actually, the latest generation of airplanes do have engine parameters and some systems information sent by radio. All digitized, of course.