Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

De-Cloaking
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello all,

Its been my pleasure to be a more-or-less silent member for several years now, but events in my life and four years of research have finally convinced me that nothing on earth would make a greater contribution to my health, happiness and the overall welfare of mankind than my (hopefully soon-to-be acquisition of a 20-something foot Regal.

I want to thank and congratulate the members and moderators for this great forum and resource that's a such a model of civility and utility.

If I were in a position to pay cash today, I'd be really tempted by that beautiful 28'er that showed up the other day. But, I think I'd prefer the bed-in-the-left-corner - bath on the right side style. IE, however, without having seen either in real life.

On a personal note, I'm a retired 60-something guy with some years of full-timing experience in VW and converted school buses who's ready to go again in more comfort. Hope to see everyone down the road.

Rick Lewis

Rick, a WTB

Posts: 15 | Location: portland, oregon, usa | Member Since: 11-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: PL77
posted Hide Post
You full-timed in a VW bus? My hat's off to you, sir, that's quite an accomplishment.

So...what's with the "Rick the WTB" designation?

Posts: 52 | Member Since: 03-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it's a lot easier when your major wardrobe items are cutoffs and flip-flops.

And, yes I full-timed sometimes alone but mostly with company for about eight years in several V-dubs - one a home-done conversion and two Westfalias. It's not really difficult if the weather's nice, you like the outdoors as a living/dining room and remember to never buy a non-consumable without throwing something else away first.

Which is easier said than done, for sure, and stuff always expands to the limits of space.

The WTB is an explicit acknowledgment of my official change to a real wannabe Barth owner - soon to be buyer/owner - status from a maybe-wannabe.

Rick, a WTB

Posts: 15 | Location: portland, oregon, usa | Member Since: 11-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: PL77
posted Hide Post
That makes a lot of sense, and resonates with what I've seen in my own life. My better half and I have lived in the same apartment for four years now, a small one bedroom, and are completely content. Now that there's a rug-rat on the way we need to move to give us just that bit of extra space for a baby room.

But we're loath to do it, because we know that our simplified life will go down the crapper as soon as we have more space, and suddenly we'll start collecting *stuff*. And we really hate *stuff*. But houses look so empty unless they contain *stuff*, so it's a necessity when you upgrade in size.

What to do. I'm trying to convince her to hit the road full-time, but even if I convinced her we'd never hear the end of it from family and 'friends'.

I guess I'm saying that I respect your decision to hit the road, and I wish I was at that point in my life as well Wink

Posts: 52 | Member Since: 03-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rickklewis:
But, I think I'd prefer the bed-in-the-left-corner - bath on the right side style. IE, however, without having seen either in real life.

Rick Lewis

We had a corner bath coach. With the bath on the driver's side.

It is a very efficient use of space for one, but requires some management for two. If the person against the wall comes to bed late or gets up earlier (or in the night) it can be a problem. The person who is not against the wall has to either draw up his/her legs or be crawled over.

The bed itself was only 6 inches narrower than a standard house bed, so that was not an issue, even for us big 'uns.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can remember when crawling(ed)-over was fun, or an invitation thereto. Now that I'm rather older, larger and single - I might need to reconsider.

Rick, a WTB