Forums    General Discussions    Intake air filter?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Intake air filter?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted
When I went up on the roof today because I thought it was very odoriferous (stink) when we went for another little ride to get some adult beverage. Just forward of the wind vane vent for the black water tank there is a vent cover about 18 inches long that when I look under it there is a paper filter. The screws are caulked over so before I go taking it apart. What's it for? I'm stymied?? Seems to be over the frig maybe?
Confused

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the refrig vent.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
My guess is it's not a paper filter. this coach comming from AZ. I wondering if it spyder webed covered screen that keeps birds out of fridge vent,
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
So what needs to breath on the fridge? I know there is gas but that is taking in air at the panel and control opening. This is under a plastic vent cover and is a rectangle and looks like I can see the face perforated metal and swear I can see the paper accordion paper filter materiel under that. Sorry if i seem a little dense on this one but..... I can take apart when I get back home to see for sure what it is. Seems odd it is located that close to the black water tank vent whatever it is.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Dana, open the lower outside access door and look straight up inside. You can probably see the bottom side of the roof vent.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Picture?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
RV "absorbtion" fridges actually cool through heat, i.e. the pilot flame supplied by LP. The top vent is basically the chimney for heat to escape. I'm not sure about the filter, maybe it's there to keep debris/bugs OUT of the exhaust vent?

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
use a mirror at the burner look up .take off the vent cover on top and look down.you should see something
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I really am having trouble imagining a filter in the upper outlet of the fridge cavity. Mine has a coarse screen, but anything finer would slow the rise of cooling air over the fins. I have added a muffin fan up there and it makes a difference. I may add another one.

Next time I pull the fridge out, I am going to put in a baffle to keep the chimney hot air from getting anywhere near the cooling fins.

And probably some fire shielding.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
Bill does it still have a twisted piece of metal going down a hole to take the heat to the sides of the heat tube. Myholiday rambler had one that would rust and drop into burner screen ,it had be cleaned every year . It was not stainless .
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
Bill does it still have a twisted piece of metal going down a hole to take the heat to the sides of the heat tube. My Holiday Rambler had one that would rust and drop into burner screen ,it had be cleaned every year . It was not stainless .
lenny

Yes, my twisty thing is still there. It is a little shorter now, as I got tired of rust flakes in the burner slots. I think I cut off about two inches off the bottom. It no longer drops rust flakes.

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
When looking down from the roof through the refrigerator vent you are probably seeing the top of the refrigerator. I venture that the vent is not directly over the space where the heat from the exchange rises.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
is a paper filter

paper wasps' nest?

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Okay you all are correct it is the venting from the fridge. When you look up from the fridge access you can see the duel screens to keep pests out and then the bottom of the vent cap. From the roof looking through the side holes of the top plastic cover that's caulked on it looked like the old air intake filters from the tractor cabs of 20 years ago. Even after looking up from the bottom I went back up top and looked and it still looked like a what I said. My bad, those pictures in my mind can cause issues. head bang

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I have some question as to the need for a screen up there. I have had several RVs without it, and at least one with a side panel exit that was just louvers. And, of course, the bottom panel has always been louvers with no screen.

Maybe it's like a Davy lamp. The mesh helps contain a fire. Smiler