Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

gambling on toasters
 Login now/Join our community

posted
the big adventure did end with us safe at home. pics and story from the link below.

http://www.schusterphoto.com/toaster/

paul schuster
santa cruz

Posts: 29 | Location: austin, tx | Member Since: 07-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Wow, you sure made my day. Thank you so much for blessing us with your travelogue and the kids are charming. The ideal travel companions indeed.

And, may I say, the "toaster" doesn't look near as bad as it did no Ebay. It will definitely be a "touch of class" when it is all shined up. I have the entire product line brochure for 1973 which I am sure is exactly like yours. Do you have broadband? if so I can email it to you. It is a PDF and is around 9 MB.

And, by the way, great photography.

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited July 27, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story. Our '72 22' Barth has had many such adventures. The picture of the wrench standing on his head fixing the water pump reminded Carol and me of the NAPA (auto parts) tour where we had to replace the timing chain in the Wal-Mart parking lot in LaGrande, Ore in 95 degree heat. We became a tourist attraction and people were stopping by to see if they could be of any help. One couple even invited us to come over to their house and take a shower. I know that you will have fun with your Barth. We still are. I still have my '22 and it will stay in the family.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, thanks for the PDF. at the moment I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of literature that came with this.

I LOVE that picture of the guy in his smoking jacket and his wife in paisly skirt serving cocktails. I think we are going to get some period correct polyester threads to travel in style.

most my other cars are of the same era

1965 ford econoline
1970 porsche 911t w/ euro 3.0
1971 porsche 911e w/ 2.7
1972 bmw 2002
1973 bmw 2002tii

just made an appointment with my mechanic to leave it there while I am out of town. the tranny shudders a bit at first so he's gonna check it. but I told him that I dont mind replacing compenents w/ new/rebuilt. we got it cheap so we can spend $ on piece of mind. we're hoping for a december trip to baja.

that ebay auction was put together really poorly. bad pics just cause the seller to loose money if hte item is good, and cause the buyer to loose if its just crap to start with. so this was a big gamble. I bugged the sellers with numerous emails and finally phone calls.

I'll surely keep you all updated on the restoration and updates/changes. I might replace/redo some of the interior. I like to have everything a certain way.

paul schuster
www.schusterphoto.com

Posts: 29 | Location: austin, tx | Member Since: 07-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Paul:

Excellent find, I have a sister coach I am going to run out from Kentucky to Los Angeles this Friday---If we make it--- Time and tools, we will see.

I have an aluminum fly wheel I had built for my 1973 2002 ti that is just sitting around my place. Want it?

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timothy,

I'd love to have your aluminum flywheel. but I'm afraid I can't afford to offer you much. with so many cars I'm way behind on my maintenance.

I'm a stay home dad and the youngest is 18 months. he doesn't let me spend as much time in the driveway as I'd like. also all these fun cars are getting to be costly.

paul

posted Hide Post
btw, wouldn't this look great being pulled by the toaster?

they are nearly the same color and both 72

http://www.schusterphoto.com/silver%20sled.htm

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Paul:

Drop me a note at my email wcoyote@warpoodle.com and we'll work out the shipping the fly wheel. It just needs a good home, pay for shipping or wait until I get up your way and it is yours. I can not bring myself to just junk it. It is used but I think quite serviceable. We can chat when I get back from my trip. Maybe a trip north with my wife and we can compare toasters and time permitting I can copy some of you documentation.

Timothy

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited July 27, 2004).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Wonderfful story, beautiful kids, & IMHO, a great buy. But the maintenance on your other toys is going to get further & further behind. Been there, done that.
Roy

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ownership of a Barth AND a TII is proof of very good taste.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so I got the toaster back from the wrench today. they replaced spark plugs and changed the oil. and they could find nothing wrong with it.

I found it odd. I'm not sure if they have won me with their honesty or if they have lost my trust in the ability. I think I'd have been happier if they wanted to hit me with some repair.

I did pay them fis the wiring to the tail lights. they found a plug that had been pulled in the rear. shop manager seemed very impressed that all the cab lights up top also work. he said "those NEVER work".

so final bill on my ebay gamble comes to around $2300. now if I could just get the MPG up to around 10 I wouldn't have to spend so much in the tank.

so I got it to fit in my driveway and I promptly ripped out two layers of orange carpet. I think I'll go hw flooring.

got hot quickly so I flipped the switch for the onan. fired right up and the a/c hit me w/ cold air.

it's a great day in santa cruz,

paul schuster

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Boy isn't that the vintage coach owners common psychological state. If the mechanic can't find something wrong then he must suck as a mechanic. I am still giggling over how true that is.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuegos100:
so final bill on my ebay gamble comes to around $2300. now if I could just get the MPG up to around 10 I wouldn't have to spend so much in the tank.

paul schuster

Golly, Paul, for what you paid, you could use distilled truffle oil for fuel and be money ahead.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited August 06, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for sharing this story and the pictures with us.The Barth and the kids look like they are a whole lot of Fun!!!!!Hope The very BEST for you folks!

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post