Forums    General Discussions    NOT SELLING!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

NOT SELLING!
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of ryegal
posted
Ok Now is when I need help,please! My sons want me to sell my Barth.and I have been wavering! not anymore.So I need help.my first job is to redo my bathroom. As I have said so many times I have a water leak from my freshwater tank to the new water pump. My son checked it out and toget to the hoses and connection we need to go into the bathroon floor.I also want to completly redo my bathroom. If anyone has the any information that will help us. Dave I hope your reading this you know the 1977 class C that is for sale? I want my Class C watersystem set up like that one.Please help me !

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Ryegal, my freshwater lines pretty much hug the perimeter of the coach. I've found two places where they are buried under the floor. One , I discovered the day we brought the coach home. The lines to the galley sink had frozen, & I had the devil's own time going through the floor to access them. Just be sure before you start, that your leak is not in a line behind a wall, rather than under the floor. Walls are usually easier to remove.

Is it possible that your leak is coming from a faucet connection above, and running down the vertical water line to wet the floor below? That's the kind of thing I've found more than once after I tore everything out.

As to re-doing your bathroom, if 'twere me, I'd decide first whether to recycle the fixtures, or buy new ones. If the latter, I'd decide what I wanted to get, measure everything, and make sure it would fit. Then I'd take out the old fixtures, the cabinetry, and the floor coverings. The more junk you get out of the way, the easier it will be to access the sub-flooring.

I've been there, and done some of it, and you'll probably find the sub-floor is good quality plywood screwed to the coach frame. If you can't remove a full panel, be careful where and how you cut. The frame is a lattice of square aluminum tubing, & you don't want to saw through any of it.

You'll probably be limited to keeping the toilet where it is, because re-doing sewer pipes & holding tanks ain't no fun, but water lines are usually flexible tubing for which hardware store compression fittings are available.

In the end, it's you who will decide how much, and what to do. Don't listen to your sons. They think the whole idea of Mom getting a motorhome, and then working on it herself is unladylike, and not in the image they have of their mother. But it's your coach, your money, your wishes, and your life.

Babe, if you can handle a saw & a scrrewdriver, and turn a wrench, and you are not totally mechanically challenged, you can do it. You'll get frustrated, you'll ask yourself why you ever started the job, and you'll go to bed sore and wake up sore every morning until it's done, but you'll be able to point with pride to a job you did.

You'll think it's killing you, but it's really keeping you alive. Your sons don't realize that.

How do I know this? Been there & done that with some of my kids. I'm 76. Last spring I stripped the carpet & floor coverings in our kitchen & dining area, & replaced them with laminate. I just finished re-tiling our bathrooms, and I'm still sore from that. I wasn't dumb enough to try to re-carpet myself, so I hired that done. But I like my house a lot better now.

Only problem is, it has kept me from working on the Barth, & I still have a dozen items on my do-list there.

Go for it babe, and don't give up.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited August 02, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
olroy, how nice of you to take the time to write such a nice letter and offer advise.

I wish you both well.

Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
It sure is and I thank you from the bottom of my heart! And you are right they don't think I can do it,we will see but I will at least try.I made the announcement last night that I was keeping it, and the oldest just rolled his eyes but gave me a hug and kiss before I left. Mark is a good man and he knows nothing about mechanics he,s a chef.I think they are worried that my Barth, not me is to old.Thank you so much for all the good advice, and guess what the grandson and I are going out in our Barth today for 2 days. So we will check all this stuff. Thamk you ! Donna

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Donna, You go get um Girl!
We have our acreage for sale. When we bought it my oldest brother told me i would never be able to keep up with it as i am paralyzed. Well HE was right. 23 years later i'm selling it cause it's just getting to be to much.
On the water problem, all our coaches are a little different but on mine there are shutoffs under the sink floor in the bathroom. I found these leaking AFTER i removed part of the carpet & bedroom floor to access the water pipes running to the water heater.
Mike

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
You make me wish that I lived in seattle just so I could come over and help you out. Your only as old as you feel my dad keeps telling me.

I wish you luck and hope everything comes out alright. Keep plugging along.

Bill

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
I subscribe to the thought that I'm only as old as I act...and I'm getting younger every day. At least thats what my kids tell me.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryegal,
If you're going to remodel your Barth this place may come in handy for you...
http;//www.olywa.net/singletonsrv
It even local to you.
Have fun, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input and susport. I do know of the place in Oly. I haven't been there yet but plan to go Sat.I will keep posting as I go Thanks Donna