Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A Plea for Help From the State of Nevada
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
Glenn Barrett, Program Officer with the Nevada Department of Vehicles has a 1972 Barth Coach on his hands and can not find the VIN#. I suggested the cabinet behind the drivers head and/or the inside of the generator door. Any other ideas out there??

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, on my 1976 the vin numbers are located just to the left of the driver chair, under the window and also if you open the front radiator hatch there is a plate with the numbers, right side of radiator behind the defrost hoses up near the top.

Good Luck Ralph

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The VIN usually refers to the chassis number applied by Chevrolet.

The Barth tag also has the GM VIN. Mine is on the sidewall a foot above the floor behind the driver. Some are on cabinets and some are in the over-the-windshield bin.

Here is a drawing:

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave:
I'm a little foggy on this info, but we
used to put two VIM numbers steel-stamped
on the frame. If my memory is correct, I
believe the mumbers are near the front
suspension, and about 6-8 inches apart. The
hidden number was covered up by the front
suspension, when it was assembled to the
frame. I believe it was an 8 or 9-digit
number; like 2 alpha characters followed by
the 6-digit build sequence number. I would
suggest that the State of Nevada contact the
Product Information Dept. at General Motors.
The phone number for general info is 313/
556-5000 and ask for past model Product
Information Dept.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Jake, along these lines, I've been trying to find a decoder for my 1978 P-30 (12.3 gvwr)......The current VIN decipher system doesn't apply, i.e.: my VIN is

CPS3783327179

Would the GM contact you mentioned above be of any assistance to me?

Lee
Wash. DC
'78/24'/P-30/454

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lee:
CPS3783327179 is a valid VIN. C is for Chevrolet, P is for Forward Control chassis,
S is for 454 V8, 3 is for 30 series (1 ton),
7 is for body type-Motorhome chassis, 8 is for model year(1978), 3 is for Asm. Plant (Detroit Assy. Plant), and 327179 is the vehicle sequence number. I hope this answers your question. Some day I'm going to get a scanner so I can copy the page from my Truck Data Bool.

Incidentally, I now have a 1983 Truck Data Book, a 1985 CKGP Truck Service Manual, and
a 1985-86 CKGP Service Parts & Illustration
Catalog. What I don't have is a 1973 Motor-
home Chassis Service Manual, which would be
very handy to have, since it had all of the
initial service procedures.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
What a fountain of info. The Nevada fellow was going to check the site for additional info and you guys came through big time.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Jake,

I've been huntin' for that exact info for a couple of years......Thanks!

Lee
Wash. DC
'78/24'/P-30/454

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Jake:

Thank you. Great stuff!!

My VIN is CPZ373J115545

Now I know I have a 1973 Chasis, I have wondered if it was a 72 or a 73 for some time.

Can you tell me what engine type Z is?

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
With the early coaches, on the tag where you find the vin is their also a Barth coach number?

------------------

Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Dave, Answer is: Yep.....

My P-30 VIN and Barth VIN are on a laminated tag, located above the driver's side window on the paneling.....Chassis VIN/GVWR info is also on metal stamp attached to steering box assembly & viewed via engine compartment.

Do you know if Barth VIN's are coded some way, or just a numeric production sequence?

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Dave:

On my 1973 25 footer we find the following.

On a plate mounted just below the break master cylinder is a Chevy plate that has the Vin number and GVWR.

On the driver side, inside the coach below the driver window is a Barth tag it has the vin number, GVWR copied from the chevy tag and something called a Vechicle I.D. No., mine reads 73011226mc25

The vin number is CPZ373j115545.

My guess is the Barth number is the build date followed by the Motor Coach type, maybe, I think. Not too sure what the 6 means but 7301122 Looks like the 22nd of Nov. 1973. This as I said is an uninformed guess.

Timothy

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited August 11, 2005).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tim in my 1976 manual the Z engine designation stands for a 454 V/8.
Ralph

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Ralph:

I did a web search and found for 1973 a note that suggests Z=454 4bolt.

Hey we have rock crusher V-8s. Cool or what?

OK not as cool as Bill H's 502 but still fairly cool. I suffer from 502 lust.

Timothy

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited August 11, 2005).]

Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Ergo: Does an "S" in the engine portion of the VIN signify a 454 2-bolt?