Tools
Reply To This Topic

Direct TV
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
Is anyone else as irritated with them as I am?

This is easily the worst company I have dealt with this decade!

Shoddy and deceptive billing practices. Salespeople are liars. Support is non existent.

They just put a dish on my daughter's house and they ran the wires OVER the roof!! And now they want her to pay to move them. Why did they run the wires over the roof when they could have run them 6 more feet around the eves? I'll tell you why, because they make their installers pay for all their own wire and materials and therefore they cut every corner.

This company needs a class action lawsuit up their Direct wazzoo!!!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My experience has been just the opposite. The only recurring problem I've had is with the Barth's sat receiver losing its memory. Never taken more than 5 minutes to restore.

My home installation was very smooth, but I have a friend who is a Dish and DirecTV dealer.

I had Dish for a couple of years, and it was absolutely wretched.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
We dumped pay TV (Dish Network at the time) 4-5 years ago and haven't looked back. I was tired of paying monthly to watch mostly commercials.

Now we get HD signals over the air for major networks, and watch everything else for free online (laptop hooked up through flatscreen) on hulu.com and many of the networks that have their shows online. Local library has fairly new DVD releases for $1 (free after movie is 6 months old) so we pay very little for on-screen entertainment these days!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I can tell you the Dish installers are no better. My nephew has Dish installed at a townhouse he was renting. The dish mounted on the wall just outside of where the TV was at. They mounted the dish and ran the cable across the entire wall and round a corner blasting holes every 18" for cable clips. All they had to do was drop the cable straight down and through the wall to the TV. The landlord was a bit ticked off when he saw it.

One product I will give a great review for is Roku. I can't say it will work well in a motorhome but for home use this thing is GREAT. You can get Netflix on it and a bunch of other cool content, much of it is free. I replaced my HTPC with the Roku box and couldn't be happier. It does HD very well and can throttle back the connection when needed. My Comcast connection is very good so I'm always at HD speeds.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
I also give the Roku a thumbs up Thumbs Up I have had it for a month with Netflix... got rid of Starz and HBO.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
We dumped Direct TV a year ago when they stopped providing the XM/Sirius music channels. They refused, saying I had a contract. I told them there was no longer a contract, because they had defaulted on the terms of the contract, hence had unilaterally abrogated the contract, by no longer providing the channels I signed up for and had being paying them for.

They said no dice.

I sent them a copy of my contract, with the music channels on it. They said the new music they were providing was essentially the same. I said no dice.

I disputed their charges on my credit card, and finally closed the card to keep them from constantly charging the card.

It took forever for them to realize I was not going to pay them another nickel, but they did finally mail me a Fedex mailer to return the box.

We now use Dish and are happy.

Installers are local hires, and can be all over the map for either company.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I too have had Roku for better than a year and consider it a great value. Much better than most of the pay for movie channels that have become bogged down with their own brands of internal advertisement.

If it hadn't been for the Blue Bird having a satellite dish, I probably would never have gone that route. I do find it pretty cool when I can pull down Direct in the middle of a parking lot or field though.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Bill h makes a good point, the installers are subcontracted to do the installs. To be fair, my parents had Dish Network installed a few months ago and those installers did a great job. They even came back a few months later and helped program the remote to work with a new TV my parents bought.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post