Forums    General Discussions    This is our Heritage and one to be very proud of
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

This is our Heritage and one to be very proud of
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
Sam and Rita Powers from Ohio sent me these photos of their 1968 28 foot Barth travel trailer.

I posted his emai to me because it is so interesting.

Hi Dave,

I copied the attached pictures from some old poloroids I found. Not the greatest quality but thought you might like to see what our 1968 28 foot Barth Travel Trailer looked like. I haven't found any inside pics that show anything yet. Our unit was built as a show unit and had red shag carpet and about a 4' blue on the outside and white on the inside skylight over the front table. There were lights around the inside. It looked like a blue flying saucer on top of the trailer at night and got a lot of comments from neighbors. There was a couch across the front with a table in front of it. then the kitchen area followed by twin gouchos then a rear bath with a tub on the left and the lav on the right with the vanity along the back wall in the center. We had a 28' Blazon (Wood type construction) first but couldn't shut or open the door unless there were blocks under the trailer. The Barth was VERY well built including a full box frame around the outside of the trailer.The trailer and floor were built first and the completed top(walls, roof and all was set on the floored trailer and fastened down. The walls were all of aluminum I beams fitted through each other and riveted together. We spent a winter in minesota and the stock furnace kept us very comfortable. I admit it had to run most of the time in the -30 degree weather but we were hooked up to a 300 gallon propane tank instead of the two 30 pounders on the tongue. Rita and I lived in the barth for almost 4 years starting in Indiana were we boutht her to Ohio,Alabama,Texas,Minnesota and South Dakota. I installed Telephone office switching gear for North Electric out of Galion,Ohio. sorry for going on but your Barth site has stirred a lot of memories. Have a good Easter. The poodle sitting up was Patsie and my wife Rita is in front of the door. The poodle sitting up was the reason for the color picture of the side.

Sam & Rita Powers
Shelby,Ohio 44875

k8usa@surplushound.com

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
What a great post! This old trailer looks like a prime example of what made Barths a special brand. I doubt I would have walked comfortably inside, unless Rita is over 6 feet tall, but I sure would have enjoyed the experience you folks had. Thanks for sharing.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

[This message has been edited by Danny Zeeff (edited March 26, 2005).]

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 6'1" and could stand up and walk without hitting my head. There was no roof air or storage compartments under the floor.The Barth was completely covered underneath by aluminum. The air conditioner was a window style mounted just above the Refrigiator just to the left of the door. I think the AC was the only thing that didn't work very well on this unit. The air discharged across the isle against the kitchen cabinets. Not too efficient in a 28' box. Oh, the trailer length included the tongue so it wasn't actually 28' of living space.I think we paid almost $10,000
for the Barth. That was a load of money in 1969.

Sam & Rita

Posts: 1 | Location: Shelby,Ohio,USA | Member Since: 01-01-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
We bought our first RV in 1969, a new 18' travel trailer for $1750. The dealer also sold Barths. The cheapest, around the size of the rig we bought was, as I recall, about $4500, a ton of money as the man said, and well above our pay grade. But
we lusted for a Barth from then on

In the ensuing years, we went through three more travel trailers, two van conversions, two Class "A'" motorhomes, and four cruising boats. Most were used, so I became pretty good at maintenance & restoration,

Went looking for a Barth in earnest, in 2000, and finally got one in Jan., 2004. The current objective is to live long enough to enjoy it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post