Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1986 21' barth has 6.2 diesel
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Its in pretty good shape as far as i can see, it has 58000 miles there asking 10000.00 it needs tires and batteries 6 and 6 is this a deal or no deal can someone please help, the orginal owner purchased it for 60000.00 in 1986 thanks for the help looking to by it this week

Posts: 2 | Member Since: 01-29-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Subject: "1886 21' barth has 6.2 diesel"

Wow, 1886! The Barth came out even before the Model T! Wink

Seems like a fair bargain, but you really have provided very minimal information. Do you have experience with motorhomes/RVs in general? You should be checking the A/C units, generator, and refrigerator for function... those can be very costly replacements. You need to make sure everything works properly... SEE it work, don't just take the seller's word for it. Tires (if they are 16") will cost $700-1000, so factor that into your offer. Has it been sitting a long time, or was it regularly used in recent years. Idle storage is a motorhome's worst enemy.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
For a 1989, 22' Regal, NADA shows a price range of $8170 to $9840. This one is 3 years older. It has a diesel, but not one with the best reputation. Needing tires & batteries puts it at the low end value-wise. THere will be other needs too, that you won't learn about until you own it.

NADA is only a rough guide. There aren't enough sales reported to establish average market values for Barths, so these are calculated on a formula. I watched the market for a couple years from 2002 to 2004, & sales averaged about 10% below NADA low book.

I would bargain hard at this price. Cash-in-hand can be a powerful incentive for someone who needs to sell.

The big advantage of a Barth is the quality of the coach. The chassis, drive train, appliances and accessories are standard items. A well-maintained Barth doesn't fall apart, but the standard items wear out at normal rates

The bottom line is this: Fair market value is not determined by guides like NADA, it's determined by a meeting of the minds between a willing buyer and a willing seller.

No RV is a financial investment, it is an investment in fun. If it fulfills your needs and desires, and you can afford it, pay for it what you will, remembering the tires and batteries, and other unexpected expenses that will occur. You're miles ahead if you can do your own work. Good luck, and bargain hard.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna TOW that RubberGlide to Daytona, at least you'd be doin' it in style!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The 6.2L had a somewhat shortened career in many applications; a rebuilt engine should go somewhere around $3.5-4K plus installation. On a 21' Barth (GVW somewhere around 9,500 lbs.) it could be OK. Diesels are especially susceptible to developing issues if not used frequently, and that one has averaged only 2,900 miles per year.

I wouldn't necessarily avoid it, but I'm with olroy - I think this is more like a $7,000 unit than $10K.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the info i will check to see that everything is working
quote:
Originally posted by HdDyna:
Its in pretty good shape as far as i can see, it has 58000 miles there asking 10000.00 it needs tires and batteries 6 and 6 is this a deal or no deal can someone please help, the orginal owner purchased it for 60000.00 in 1986 thanks for the help looking to by it this week

Posts: 2 | Member Since: 01-29-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Hi,
It is not enough that everything is working. You'd want to make sure that things are working, AND in very good condition. Believe me, the cost of the brakes and fuel systems can add up. If you can have the rig taken to a truck mechanic so he can assess the condition of such things, it might cost you a few hundred, but might save you a few grand later. Risk vs. reward....
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 526 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post