Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Towing a Barth Regal 25'
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Turbodoc
posted
I wanted to tow my Barth behind the Zephyr and reposition it to Florida. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking to disconnect the driveshaft and clamp a tow bar to the front bumper.

I think this might work:
Roadmaster CLASSIC Tow Bar Mounting Bracket 171-2

Larry A. Barry DDS
2006 Tiffin Zephyr
NV5I

Posts: 59 | Location: Amarillo, Texas | Member Since: 02-20-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
That bracket is engineered for something the size and weight of a full size van.
Furthermore, won't you be taxing your tow vehicle?

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post

The bracket holding on the bumper does not look like it is up to towing the vehicle. Whils this barth does have tow hooks, I'm sure they were never meant for long distance towing.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
The Zyper has a GVWR of 46,000# and a GCWR of 61,600#. This is where I would look first. What is the weight of your Barth? Next I would look at the brake controller and then the overall legal length of the combination. I am a born worry wart and just like to have a huge margin for error in everything I do.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I think it would be safer to drive it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Personally know a person who tried to tow a Toyota Dolphin MH (class C) AND wrecked after a few miles. He said the towbar gave out, I believe it is not rated for so much weight. But there is a thread somewhere here of a guy towing his 1970s Barth successfully, I think with a dually.
I am sceptical about towing that much weight without brakes on it.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I learned my lesson on towing about 25 years ago.

When towing with a towbar, always have a bigger tow vehicle than the vehicle you are towing.

Things like a long wheelbase and weight figure in dramatically on your being able to control the vehicle in tow.

I tried to tow a 1972 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup with my 1983 Chevy S-10 Blazer. Everything went well for a couple of miles. After I got up past 25 mph, the 72 Chevy was way too much for my Blazer....too heavy, too wide and my Blazer was too short of a wheelbase and too narrow a track.. The 1972 started to run the show... I slowed down, got it under control and managed the few miles more to my destination.

Hope that helps someone.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Turbodoc
posted Hide Post
My Zephyr would have no problem towing this Barth. My car hauler loaded with a Lincoln Navigator weighs more than the Barth. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Larry A. Barry DDS
2006 Tiffin Zephyr
NV5I

Posts: 59 | Location: Amarillo, Texas | Member Since: 02-20-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Larry,

The dynamics of towing four down are completely different than trailer towing. It's not all about weight, but about stress on components. Towing four down creates exponentially higher turning resistance. This is even more pronounced with big rigs and high overhangs like your Zephyr or my Wanderlodge.

As others have stated, the tow bar is no where near properly rated. The bumper is also no where near capable as, say, a frame mounted hitch. Why chance a catastrophe.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The trailer with the SUV has brakes; I don't know how you'd power the Barth's brakes. The Barth's front wheels may or may not caster in turns. I can't imagine how it could be towed safely, even if a robust towbar could be found.

I'd contact a truck load broker and see if I couldn't get a lowboy to backhaul it.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My car hauler loaded with a Lincoln Navigator weighs more than the Barth.

What does your Barth weigh? From other posts, I'm guessing the Barth is around 12,000 lbs. I'm guessing the Navigator is around 6000 lbs and maybe 3000 for the trailer?

I went and weighed my Royale (P30 chassis)last week. I thought it was around 14,000. WITHOUT being completely loaded and missing my wife and 2 of my boys, it came in at 17,900 pounds. I'd hate to say but it might push 19,000 loaded out with everyone......

Too bad you don't know a reliable college student who could drive it down for you...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've made up your mind, Turbo Dr., and won't take NO! for an answer. look forward to reading your (or heir's) post about how it went.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
ask the local RV dealer who delivers the new RVs from the factory. Them guys always look for a ride back or some extra money, a lot are retired and take a trip to Florida. Last I heard they get about 50 cents per mile plus gas.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
If you can get us to Amarillo and back to Tennessee from Florida, Tere and I will be happy to drive it down there for you. I had a service drive a Dynasty from Florida to California and it cost around $2000. Considering the time and fuel cost, it wasn't a bad deal.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you can get us to Amarillo and back to Tennessee from Florida,

That spawns another idea.... We have a close friend who is a retired engineer. A local car dealership flies him all over the country to pick up new cars for clients adn drive them back to Oklahoma. I know he has been flown as far as the east coast and drove cars back here.

If you'd like, I could contact him and see if he'd be interested. I'm sure he would and I'd trust him with my coach in a heartbeat.

We are due east of you, in Central Oklahoma on I-40 and that might help out...