Tools
Reply To This Topic

spare tire mounting bracket
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I still haven't found a mounting bracket for my spare tire. I guess in the original form, Barth must have bolted some kind of a bracket directly to the aluminum frame and had some kind of an external plate flush against the rear of the motor home,with a couple of studs sticking out. Any help out there? What I've got works but it sure is ugly.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Maybe Dave will remove his and post a picture.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My spare (33' Regal) isn't mounted outside. It hangs from the overhead in the driver's side basement storage compartment.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I don't know, Bill. Dave is more of a wine connoisseur than a tire mechanic, but he's a man of many talents, not the least of which is running this web site.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
My spare tire bracket is bolted to the rear bumper by 4 bolts. I moved it up a little higher on the bumper because the spare was in the way of the trailer hitch. I can post pictures if needed.

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Ronnie!
Could you post the pics? Mine is held on by a tubular assembly that goes in front of the tire rather than behind it, and the whole mess bolts to the face of the bumper rather than the top. Thanks,
Jim

Picture of flashnyellow
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Here are some pictures of my spare tire rack.

------------------
Ronnie
1985 28' P-30 454

Posts: 61 | Location: Lafayette, LA USA | Member Since: 12-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I am sorry it took so long to post my picture, I was embarrased by the fact that I haven't cleaned the pine needles off of the bumper. Here it is June and the coach is still winterized.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Ronnie's looks like a standard after-market RV spare tire mount. I bet that Dave's is a square tube welded to the hitch receiver, and comes up through a hole in the bumper apron.

BTW Dave - Get out there and take that tire off. Get a husky wire brush, and knock off all the rust you can. Then mask it off from the back of the coach, and spray it, or paint it with some "Extend" rust treatment, according to the product's directions. Get a can of hardware store paint in black or a matching color, and paint it up good.

It'll take you an hour or two on a nice day, and take 1/4" off your midsection. After you get the tire back on, everyone will think it was done by a real pro.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited June 05, 2005).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dad, I'll get right on it. hehe

Since after almost 2 years of self searching someone offered me a job and my wife suggested that it would be wise to take it. I told her that during the years when othere were finding themselves, I was in Korea so I was actually enjoying myself. Plus I had more time to work on stuff.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited June 05, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post