Forums    General Discussions    Remodeling Sugar!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Remodeling Sugar!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of nuevomex
posted
Hola to everyone!

We have decided to do a major overhaul of Sugar's interior. We want to remove the couch, replace it with a washer/dryer and a workspace (ie, small desk) for Gary. Which is the best washerdryer combo and can you vent them through the floor? Also would like to add built in benches on either side of the fold out table. We would like to find a spot for our datastorm equipment. We've got wires out the WAZOO! And without rewiring the whole thing they need to be next to the foldout table.

Also, remove the carpet and do the entire floor in wood, like the kitchen area. So where do we start? Does anyone have the names of people who could do this, preferably in our neck of the woods (New Mexico). Also, any advice and suggestions would be most appreciated. Gary and I have neither the time nor the inclination (not to mention the expertise) to do this ourselves. Also, does anyone know anything about the automatic awnings? Thanks, Susie

Posts: 14 | Location: London, UK and Abiquiu, New Mexico | Member Since: 03-04-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Hi Susie; you might try the MAK and BNO websites for buses for info on washer/dryer combos. I know some of the people that are converting buses have put them in so there should be some info in the archives on those sites. Also you might find a bus nut in your area that could either do or knows of somebody there that can do the other things you want to do, Good luck, Ed

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You might also check the websites of makers of the premium motorhomes (Newell, Beaver, Prevost, etc.) and see what brands they use for the washer/dryer combo.

One of my friends just bought a Beaver with two automatic awnings (the oterhs are standard pull-down)- they're cantilevered (meaning there are no diagonal braces supporting the weight) - and required substantial reinforcement of the coach frame to handle the load. There may be other kinds more adaptable to a Barth that wouldn't need the rework of the frame.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Susan Richardson:
Also, does anyone know anything about the automatic awnings? Thanks, Susie

They have neat little anemometer that senses wind speed so it can automatically retract if the wind gets too high. Nice, but I have seen several damaged by sudden gusts. In fact, most awning damage I have seen is caused by sudden unexpected gusts, not wind that just got higher and higher.

So, if you camp where there could be sudden gusts, don't let the automatic retraction feature lull you into a sense of confidence.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Splendide is the major manufacturer of RV washer dryer combos Splendide

They have vented and ventless models. The vented models are much better and faster at drying, I have been told.

On the automatic awnings, I have found that they do not supply nearly the shade as the manual ones do. Make sure you check this out because I know you folks are in NM and travel to Mexico. You might want to go with a manual so you can have the maximum shade.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
On the automatic awnings, I have found that they do not supply nearly the shade as the manual ones do. Make sure you check this out because I know you folks are in NM and travel to Mexico. You might want to go with a manual so you can have the maximum shade.

Another consideration is how well they can be adjusted for rain. We lower our roller way down, and always have one side lower than the other to assure max protection and runoff. For cold, we attach side curtains, too, so look at that if you think that might be for you.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of nuevomex
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Right now we are at a Datastorm Rally in Kerrville, Tx, then tomorrow heading down to Goliad, Tx to see some friends.

I was advised here NOT to let Camping World do the remodel. Someone mentioned Davis Kitchens. So we might go that route. My problem is that I want it done YESTERDAY!

Also toured three Newells that people here have. Geez, Loueez. Pretty incredible. One of them was only 6 months old. ( a little too fancy for our tastes!) The scuttlebutt is that it was a 1.3 million dollar coach!

As of now, we have decided AGAINST the automatic awning and FOR the Splendide! We're thinking the non-vented type. I can always hang the stuff out to dry in Mexico!

Keep those suggestions coming! Thanks, Susie and Gary

Posts: 14 | Location: London, UK and Abiquiu, New Mexico | Member Since: 03-04-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I sold the patio awning off of the bus last year. Will replace with a window awning which is what was on the bus before. Talked to a guy that has an rv park, he said that about 98% of all the injuries to people in his park over the years were from patio awnings. Ranged from pinched and broken fingers to broken arms to head injuries. I think the things are a pain in the butt plus i know two people that lost their awnings in sudden wind gusts and did major damage to their rigs. With that said, i can see where a plastic palace would need reinforcement for an automatic awning but i would think that the way the Barths are constructed none would be necessary. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
I think the things are a pain in the butt plus i know two people that lost their awnings in sudden wind gusts and did major damage to their rigs.
I went thru a sudden wind gust event the first year I took my Barth to the races - I saw a very sad Rv lot when all was said and done.

Most of the people there lost there awnings - Me being the helpful opportunist decided to go around and help people remove there destroyed awnings. I needed parts for mine (broken before I got there) and figured that this would be a great time to get them.

You'll chuckle at this - I only walked over to the high end coaches. My line was "Wow, that's a shame, I hope you have insurance" they would tell me yes and then I would say "I don't, (low head, sad eyes) let me help you remove what's left and if there's some good parts can I have them?" Everybody I asked said yes. Get this, they all felt good about helping me out! Of course, I was and still am very grateful.

All (yes, all) of the destroyed awnings were on coaches from people who did not know how to deploy one. The spinner locks were rusted or the legs were put on the ground without using hooks to secure them. I got enough spare parts that day to redo my awning two times over.

"If life hands you lemons - go make some lemonade"

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Back before I got the Barth, we used to rent Cruise America coaches to go racing. I asked the agent why they didn't have awnings, and he said they tried that but they always got broke or injured the renters because they weren't set up properly. Our Michigan friends at Talledega were a perfect example this year. They forgot to lock in the tension bar and a little gust flipped the awning up over the top of the coach. Nothing destroyed but a stronger gust would have done some serious damage. With my screen room attached and securely staked down, the awning is much more solid, but I'd still stow it if a storm was coming. If I am just using the awning, I roll it up at the first sign of inclement weather. Takes only seconds, and it can be rolled out in seconds after the danger is past. Awning and patioroom are AE, and I'm very satisfied with the whole setup.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
You might want to try Foretravel in Nacogdoches, TX. They do some pretty nice work.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Chevalier:
You might want to try Foretravel in Nacogdoches, TX. They do some pretty nice work.

And the understatement award of the day goes to ..................EDDIE!

We spent all day and evening last week at the RV show here, and one Foretravel is the only one that gave us Motor Home Envy. What a nice interior it had! Usually we sneer at the bad taste and poor work on high dollar interiors, but Foretravel always gets it right.