Forums    General Discussions    What Makes My Barth a Regency?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What Makes My Barth a Regency?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted
Well after all this time I have finally discovered what makes our coach a "Regency".

We have had a lot of discussions about what makes a Barth a Regency. There have been a number of impostors. Breakaways with Regency decals on the sides. Regals with 'Regency Like" appointments. How could I ever be sure my Coach was really a Barth Regency?

I have been working on the data tag project for about 9 months now and that helped BUT I wasn't sure.

I thought it might be the big diesel in the back pushing the coach down the road or maybe the little diesel up front giving it that reliable electrical power out in the middle of no where BUT I wasn't sure.

That big heavy Gillig bus chassis with it's 22.5 inch alloy wheels were a clue BUT I wasn't sure.

The interior is really nice and the cabinets are real oak wood and the counters and sinks are all corian BUT I wasn't sure.

The 102" wide body should be a clue BUT I wasn't sure.

I hope I have found the final proof needed to convince myself that my coach is not an impostor.

Yes, believe it or not the only place on the whole coach that I can find with any indication of the Regency name is on the Glove Box Door. Gosh, I hope somebody hasn't stole the door of a real Regency and put it on my coach.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Nick, here's an obvious question.
What about the blueprints? On each page of my blueprints it is cleared marked that it is a Breakaway model 1B.
Don't your blueprints also identify your coach as a Regency model xx?

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Nick,

For a minute there I thought I too owned a Regency.

I found the big 8.3 diesel in the back........................yes.....little diesel up front.

22.5 alloys are there....on a Spartan chassis (seems equivalent enough)................

Corian counters throughout.........matching Birch cabinets, even book-matched like a fine boat.........

This is looking good........even a washer/dryer on board......damn!

102" across....looking good...........

Wait a minute..........I can't find the darn glove box.......dammit! I don't have a glovebox!!

I guess I'm stuck with a rotten old, diesel pushin, diesel generatin, 22.5 inch alloy rollin, wide bodied, gloveboxless................Monarch!!

Well, at least of got a washer on board to do my laundry......all that excitement, I think I soiled my undies!!!

CN in NH

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raymag:
Nick, here's an obvious question.
What about the blueprints? On each page of my blueprints it is cleared marked that it is a Breakaway model 1B.
Don't your blueprints also identify your coach as a Regency model xx?

Raymag, didn't think to look at the blueprint. Hope you realize this post was in jest. I did find it ironic that the only actual marking was on the glove box door.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Raymag
posted Hide Post
Nick, I was pretty sure that it was in jest also.
The line between the options available in the Breakaways and the Regencies is sometime quite blurry.
For example, my Breakaway has a factory installed ceramic floor from the front entry door to the foot of the bed and in the bathroom, something you don't see in a Breakaway (maybe even in Regencies).
It also has pleated shades in the windshield, driver's window, and in the door, something I've never seen on any other Barths regardless of the model.

It also has the original Barth bra installed on the front with snaps.

Because of all these extras we always thought that we had a very special Breakaway.

Real

1991 Breakaway 30Ft
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Spartan Frame
4 Speed Allison Model 542
Front Entrance
Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension

Posts: 126 | Location: Shefford, QC Canada | Member Since: 08-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I think any Barth is what Barth said it was. Glove box logo, data tag, factory invoice, brochure, magazine ad, whatever, as long as it came from Barth. It was their progeny, and they named it. In the absence of factory information, all other information is apocryphal. Not necessarily wrong, but not divinely inspired.

There is a post here from a former Barth employee that says Regencies (and the few chimeric Royales) had more heavily constructed shells with a larger roof edge radius.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I really expected bill h to come forward with this info but seeins how he didn't, I'll do it. In keeping with the Barth tradition of installing the best of everything, in late 92 they contracted with the Regency Glove Box company of Cheboygan, Wisconsin to produce top quality glove boxes for the new line of coaches. Apparently the spec sheet neglected to delete the company logo from the doors on the early 93 models, thus giving the impression that the coaches themselves were Regency models. Sorry bout that Nick! ROTFLMAO

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I knew it!!, I knew it!!, I knew it!!. Still no proof. What does I guy have to do? Mad
Nick