Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

8.2 Diesel thoughts
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello. I’m new here. I have been around Barths for years. All have been gas 454 motors. I’m looking at a 1984 Regency 36 foot. I know it has the GM 8.2 Diesel that was either rebuilt or replaced by Jasper Engines at some point. I want a diesel pusher and would rather it be a Cummins or 6V71 Detroit but want some opinions from some of you. Should I pass on it even though it seems cheap? Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Posts: 12 | Location: Kansas | Member Since: 11-07-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Sadly, the early Regencies were orphans among orphans. Barth wanted to expand their motor coach line to include diesels and opted to build coaches on MCC chassis. These chassis had independent suspensions and a great ride but there are no suspension parts available any more.

In addition, the 8.2 Detroit Diesel was a very marginal design. Nearly every one has failed over time. Some upgrade mods were installed by rebuilders but the fundamental design flaws made it a very problematic engine. Very strict attention to loading and heat control is needed to keep them running.

The coaches themselves were well made. If the coach is cheap, can be moved to a permanent site, it might make a good
park model.

I have had both gas and diesel Barths with good success but I would avoid the 8.2 and the MCC chassis on the early Regencies.

Good luck with your coach search.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve thanks for the well explanation of the Barth model from this era. Like I said I’m familiar with the large diesels and had heard nothing good about this engine and the information you provided about the coaches suspension was very helpful in my search. Can you tell me what year Barth offered the big diesels the length and model they were offered in to narrow my search? Thanks

Posts: 12 | Location: Kansas | Member Since: 11-07-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Barth abandoned the 8.2 MCC chassis around 1986. All were 35 ft in length. From that point on, they built Regency coaches on a full air Gillig chassis, with a few on Spartan chassis. Most of these later Regencies had Cat 3208 engines and 4 spd Allison trans. A few had 8.3 Cummins engines. Usually 34 to 40 ft range.

Barth also built the Breakaway series diesel pushers. These were Spartan chassis with 5.9 Cummins engines with Allison trans. These have steel springs and air-over-hydraulic brakes. Most were in the 30-34 ft range.

After Barth failed and became Barth RSV, they built the Monarch line of diesel pushers from 95-98. These have full air Spartan chassis, 8.3 Cummins, 6 spd Allison and were 34-40 ft long.

Any of these are much more common Barths and there are many still in service. Parts are available for both chassis and engines. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The MCC was my introduction to Barth and Dave Bowers. I searched Barth after having a tour of an MCC in 2002 just South of Circleville, Ohio. I found this site exchanged info with Dave Bowers and he gave me the skinny on that model. Mostly the negative was the front suspension but if you took the coach to a magician near Chicago a beefy upgrade could be had. The ride and drive ability was touted to rival a sport car. This person passed away but for a period his son continued the front end upgrade conversion but I have not seen any reference for several years.
I don't think any disparaging mention was made of the 8.2 until several years later. A search on this site might offer more insight.
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
This should help. 8.2DD

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
above loaded badly....

try this:

https://everythingaboutboats.org/detroit-diesel-8-2/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post