Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Is this 1988 Barth 33 Regency worth $12k
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted
Just wanted to get some input from the experts on a 1988 Barth Regency 34' with tag axle.
This was the first Barth I have looked at and I am now sold on Barth but not sure about this one.... Need Lots of TLC..

What is GOOD
Roof top ACs work .. 1 of units is 1 yr old
No apparant roof leaks
7kw Gen starts
454 engine starts
new alternator
Low miles --50k
Gen has 240 hours
Fridge replaced
tires ok

NOT GOOD
Awning shot
Exhaust leak on engine
Dash air not working
Propane tank leaks
No maint records
Interior very worn.
Bath vent broke
Vent in center of MH broke and taped up
Levelors not working properly
Carpet worn
Not sure about air bags.
Paint average.
I am sure many things that are broke I did not see in my 1 hour view of this Barth.
My wife said YUK!!! so there is some selling I have to do....

My guess there is $5-6k in repairs. So that would put this Barth when you are done in the $17-18k range. SHOULD I RUN OR SHOULD I LOOK CLOSER.
Did not have my camera with me so I am Sorry to post this with this general description, but if this is worth more investigation , I will get pics and send.
Owner would listen to offers but I was unsure on how much to offer. Located in Central FLorida
If this does not pan out , that is alright as I have now aquired the "taste" for a Barth
Regards,
Ray

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
To begin with it ain't a Regency. It is a Regal Se. Book is 11K to 16K.

Pick it up for $9K or so and then go from there.

By the way, welcome to Barthmobile.com

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep, welcome to Barthmobile.com. I'm repeating myself repeating myself, but the bottom line with a Barth is that the coach won't fall apart faster than you can fix it. This is NOT true of most stick-and-staple plastic pigs, most of which of '88 vintage should have been (or will shortly be) converted to mulch.

There were no corners cut in the manufacture of the coach.

The exhaust leak on GM 454s is usual; however, this unit has averaged only 2,600 miles per year; this isn't really enough to keep the engine in top shape. Plan on repairs/upgrades more in the $8-10K range, but in the end, you'll have a primo coach, a gaso equivalent of a Prevost, Bluebird, or Newell. Nevertheless, don't discount the fact that an '88 will neet a LOT of TLC.

You didn't say where you live, but I'm in N. Central Florida, 20 miles north of Gainesville - I've not encountered this coach before.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dave on the price, though I'd say $9K max, & that's after getting a professional opinion on engine & running gear.

Rusty's right on the quality, & I think also on the repairs, provided you don't have to change the engine. Much also depends on how much you can do yourself. At $9K to start, plus $8K in repairs & upgrades, you'd have in it about what I'd sell my '93 33' Regal SE for. The only problem you mention that is shared by mine is the paint. Mine is in the Barths for sale section. Trouble is, it's about as far away from central Florida as you can get, up on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.

Mine had a lot of deferred maintenance, though apparently less than the one you're looking at. I drove mine home to Washington from Arizona after servicing it, & installing some new instruments. It doesn't sound like the one you're looking at would be ready for a long trip that easily.

I'm well-experienced with the inability of spouses to see the potential in run-down artifacts that are objects of beauty to their husbands. That is certainly a major consideration. Been there, done that, occasionally to my chagrin.

I wouldn't say to run, I would say to look closer, but also see what else is available that is in reach geographically & financially, remembering that at $9K, odds are you'll have at least $15K in it, plus a lot of work when you're through.

As I've watched comments about newly purchased Barths on this website, I have noted that nost have had to do a lot of work, and few were able to drive right home without problems.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray,
For what it's worth, buy a plane ticket to Seattle, rent a car to Sequim and buy "Old Roy's" Barth. Take a nice, slow trip back to Florida and see all the things that Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico Have to show... It's a super rig and I would recommend it to anyone.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
Much thanks for the responses , that has helped alot. I think this one warrants a closer look just to make sure. My dilemma is that I would love the challenge of fixing up a unit like this in reality I have very little time to be able to spend on a major project like this but if there is a will there is a way as they say....

FYI
This Barth is in Deland Florida only for the last few months maybe longer , before that it was located in South Florida and before that in New Jersey according to owner. Evidently has been lived in more than used as a traveling motor home.

Sure wish Olroy was closer to Florida. I was curious that the for sale post refers to a 90 Regal but it was referred to as a 93 in the response to this post. Sure looks like a nice unit.

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
That bit about '93 is an Oops! It is a '90. Sorry about that. Maybe a Freudian slip? At least I didn't call it a diesel.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Before you go diving in financially, make sure you get the DOT codes on the tires too. Those numbers will reveal the true age of the tires regardless of their outer appearance or tread remaining (which is what many people base their opnions upon). RV tires should be replaced every 7 years to avoid those nasty highway blowouts.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Touring Bee:
Ray,
For what it's worth, buy a plane ticket to Seattle, rent a car to Sequim and buy "Old Roy's" Barth. ... It's a super rig and I would recommend it to anyone.
Cheers, John

I'll second that. I have been in the coach, and it is a nice one. And Roy is a savvy guy with machinery, so you will know what you are getting.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post