Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Emblem Magnifico
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
Thanks to Dale Smith who is a supremely talented woodworker I have the emblem of emblems. In fact, Deb and I were speachless when this arrived. God Bless you Dale and many, many thanks.

Oh, and by the way, Dale says to the rest of you, don't even ask

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave, and Deb, you are kind. It is made of solid ziricote, and the two small base pieces are just slotted to cradle the emblem. The emblem is not attached, and the bases are ebony. I did not attach in case you want to use the emblem for another purpose. Glad you like it. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
What an elegant piece of work.
Very nice Dale Smith.

So Dave, how are you going to award this trophy to the appropriate Barth owner, Barthmobile member?

------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
All I can say is WOW!!!!!!

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Very nice work Dale, having done a lot of woodwork myself, I am really impressed. Would you care to detail the process a bit? The thin parts are very delicate how did you manage to keep it together? Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill, thanks for asking. It is made of 1/4" stock, and is actual size. I did not remove my emblem, but used the old " lay the paper over and rub pencil to get the pattern. It is within a 1/16" I cut out the piece on my band saw, and then filed to shape. I used an 1/8" round over router bit, but quickly found the ball bearing would not allow for the sharp interior corners. I then purchased a bit with the very small brass tip which allowed me to clean out same. You can't tell from the picture but the wood has a relief cut between the "B" and the "A" to make it stand out better. As far as keeping it from breaking which I might add that I informed Dave of this concern, I always held the piece exactly where I was sanding to prevent flex. I sanded down to 600 grit paper, and then buffed with paste wax. I used my large floor based buffer, and kept turning the buffer on and off to keep the speed low. I am aware of how a buffer can steal a piece from ones hand. I told Dave that should he not like the emblem that I would take it back, it hasn't shown up in the mail yet though. It was a fun piece, but must move on to other artsy things. Dale

[This message has been edited by DALE SMITH (edited January 14, 2004).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post