Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

gas mileage
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I'm looking for a used Barth (vintage '85-95), and I see references on this website to drivers getting anywhere to 7 to 13 miles a gallon out on the road. Let me ask: Which are the models or engines that get in the upper end of that range?

Posts: 2 | Member Since: 11-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The upper numbers, (which are at the upper limit of upper) would be with a 30 foot Barth Breakaway with the Cummin 5.9B engine. Running at around 60 mph on a flat surface pulling nothing heavier than Saturn.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
7, maybe 8 mpg, would be a Chev. 454ci gas model, in the longest unit ever made, fully loaded, climbing a steep grade and pulling a bulldozer....

7, maybe 8 mpg, would also be for a 454 in a twenty footer, lightly loaded, going down a mountainside in neutral and being pushed by a Mack truck with failed brakes.....

Basic law of physics: 454=7~8mpg

Anyone doing better? Is so, PLEASE share the secret......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
A real world number - 1990, 33' , 454-powered Regal SE, towing a 1996 Suzuki Sport Sidekick. Actual gross weight about 21,500 lbs. Banks Powerpack on the engine, otherwise stock.

1512 miles from Sequim, WA to Quartzsite, AZ, via I-5, I-84 & U.S. 95. Lots of long climbs @ 45 mph, across Eastern, OR., & Northern Nevada, in 2nd gear, with my foot in the carburetor, secondaries howling. Overall fuel mileage for 1512 mi.- 5.7 mpg.

On the flat, with the toad, I estimate 6.5 to 7 mpg., without the toad, maybe 7 to 7.5. But I do most of my traveling in the mountainous West, so I'll be lucky to average 6 mpg overall.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
More real numbers - 1992 36ft Regency 300hp Cummins pulling a Honda Accord - 1100 miles in July 2004 = 10mpg, I get 11mpg without the Honda.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1988 33 footer only get high sixes with a 454 and with 47000 on the clock. I also have a header system from gibson which inproved my mileage from mid 5's. No towing

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roy Are your down South? Drove by your place today and didn't see you there. Dennis

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
1973 25 footer 454

This is what I got driving from Kentucky to Los Angeles

10 MPG on the flat at 60-65 MPH

7 MPG on hills

7-8 MPG when running over 70 MPH Down to 6 at 80 MPH.

Of interest, the secondaries did not appear to open; the carb is full of gunk.

Based on what I am reading I may put off the carb rebuild, LOL.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Dennis,

I got an email for Roy he is on his way to Yuma via Quartzite. You ready for this. You know that 25th anniversary regency that is for sale. Talking about travelers. I talked to those folks three times in 10 days by cell. Once in NM, once in SCarolina and once in Nova Scotia and then yesterday, Roy passes them on the freeway in California. Are they travelers or what, boy am I jealous...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post