Forums    General Discussions    Carring 500 lbs. scooter on receiver Bike Carrier
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Carring 500 lbs. scooter on receiver Bike Carrier
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
posted
I have an 88 33' Barth with a tag axle on a P30 Chassis. I would like to buy a Scooter which weighs 510 lbs. If I carry it on a receiver Motorcycle carrier. Would I need to add a spring to the rear?

Posts: 4 | Location: Fontana, Ca. USA | Member Since: 08-10-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gerry:
I have an 88 33' Barth with a tag axle on a P30 Chassis. I would like to buy a Scooter which weighs 510 lbs. If I carry it on a receiver Motorcycle carrier. Would I need to add a spring to the rear?

Which maxiscooter are you planning to buy? I have an Aprila Atlantic 500 and have compared it to the maxiscooters offered by Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha. IMHO the absolute best maxiscooter is the Suzuki Burgman 650.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
Which maxiscooter are you planning to buy? I have an Aprila Atlantic 500 and have compared it to the maxiscooters offered by Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha. IMHO the absolute best maxiscooter is the Suzuki Burgman 650.

I'm looking at the Honda Silverwing. Do you haul it on a Hitch Reciver Carrier?
Gerry

Posts: 4 | Location: Fontana, Ca. USA | Member Since: 08-10-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gerry,
Your 33' should do just fine with 500 lbs of bike on the reciever. We have a 34T, with almost a foot more overhang than you and carry a bike all the time. Just use your airbags to compensate for the extra weight if you need to. We can't really tell the difference if the bike is there or not. We either hang a Vincent or an Enfield back there, so we may be a couple of pounds lighter, but that shouldn't matter. It sure as hell beats backing up with a trailer or a toad.
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Black Shadow????

Are you really Jay Leno using a pseudo name to post?

Nice bikes.... slober drooooool

And you have a Barth..

Tim

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited March 10, 2005).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 98 Electra Glide and we now pull it on a 16' Toy trailer along with lots of other junk but I was looking at this carrier by RV Lifts at http://www.rvlifts.com and think they are a pretty good thing if they will fit on your motorhome.

You can call or email them and tell them what you have and they can pretty much tell you if it will work with your rig. We first wanted to put one on our old 32 ft 5th wheel but they talked me out saying if my frame is not around 10 inches tall it will be too much for it.

He said they are mostly for strong motorhomes.

I think my 87 Barth Regal SE would do it but would have to save some dough first. I think they retial 1700.00 for the kit and you would have to pay to get mounted.

quote:
Originally posted by gerry:

------------------
Gordon B
1987 Barth 32' SE

Posts: 30 | Location: Havasu Lake Calif USA | Member Since: 04-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post