Forums    General Discussions    Musings: If I Didn't Have a Barth...
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Musings: If I Didn't Have a Barth...
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
I am the very lucky person who bought OlRoy's Barth. My wife and I saw our first Barth in 1980 but were unable to buy it at that time. Later we saw a tag Barth in Portland Oregon but it was way out of our price range at the time. Since then we have owned an Itaska, a Dalphin tag gas with slide, and a Foretravel.
The Barth is the best built of them all and on a Chev. P-30 chasi parts are no problem. No more calles to Freightliner for suspension parts!!!!! Roy did a fantastic job on restoreing the coach mechanicaly and it is now my privalidge to restore this Grand Old Land Cruiser cosmeticaly.

Ellis in Boise :)zenflyr@aol.com

Posts: 3 | Location: Boise, ID | Member Since: 11-30-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Ellis. Good luck, have fun, & make her real pretty.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Ellis, you are in for a lot of Barth fun with what I'm sure is one of the nicest 33's around. We have a sister ship and totally love it. Great to have you aboard.

1987 Newell ~ 40ft Widebody
2x f/o's: 1988 Barth - 33 Ft. SE tag axle & 1976 Barth - 24 Ft.

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I shopped for a Final Motorhome since '03, and specifically a Barth since the latter part of that year. Had I not snagged StaRV II, this '93 33' Beaver would have grabbed my attention. The Cummins 8.3L is only rated at 250HP - it can do much better...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thought about this old post last weekend at Oscar Scherer State Park. We were riding the Schwinns around the campgrounds and came upon a Cedar Creek 5th wheeler. Absolutely gorgeous! Slides sticking out everywhere, and a perfectly fitted screenroom made a huge home. Didn't have the Kodak with us, and nobody home to ask about it, but if I was to go the 5th route, this would be on top of my list to check out.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
This was a real fun post to read from the beginning. Like most, I started camping in a tent. One of the fun things was to dig a ditch around it so that when the rain came, it didn't get wet inside. Even camped in the back of a '68 Ford station wagon. When Tere and I were first married, we did tent camping with the kind that just sort of pops up. No problem with ditches. Along the way, their were a couple of pop top trailers. Remember almost being blown off a mountain top while sleeping through a blizzard in one. Ended up with the kids and wife in the nice heated bathroom at the campground. We were the only ones there. Friends had a Toyota based class c, and it was very nice. Went to a dealer to look at small class c's, and ended up buying a 26' Trek, our first real motor home. Loved the "Magic Bed", and huge bath. It was so hard to hold on the road that we traded it in on a '95 Monaco Dynasty with a 300 Cummins. It was a beautiful coach, but more than we could afford to maintain. Then came a class c, wood rot and all. Finally, our pain ended when I stumbled on Barthmobile. I really don't think there has ever been anything in Barth's class. Sure, you can buy Prevosts, Newells, Foretravels, or Bluebirds, but there is nothing out there or has there ever been, that quite matches Barths initial cost and ownership costs. If I had bought my Barth first, I would have saved over $20000 over the last 8 years.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
the barth was my first motorhome.am very pleased been minor problems only i feel very lucky to get what i got tks.

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Conundrum
posted Hide Post
If I didn't have a Barth... I'd have my driveway back and who knows where the Rig would have ended up.

I have many fond memories of my Grandpa and Grandma and spending most of my childhood summers with them in Flagstaff, Az camping at the Dairy Springs campground where they volunteered to be able to stay for more than the 14 day limit.

I however have not been able to use it nearly as often. Now that gas is down and it has one tire completely flat on the rear, I'm looking at it again (not just as an eyesore) and thinking I need to do something, anything to either get it going (Fuel tank, tires/wheels, other maint.) or get it to someone who will do it for me/them.

I'm sure my Grandpa is rolling in his grave over my lack of attention to it, but I hope he understands. Frowner

Anyways, thanks for the site, I wish I would have found it in '02 when I had it registered last and will be hanging around from time to time, that is, if I still have it. I might have found the support I needed to persist in its repairs and not have to listen so much to the "Aluminum Can" comments of the wife as well as "when are you going to get rid of that thing?".

Edit to add- it's a 1970 on a 1-ton chassis and 350 Chevy, so many changes, I'd have a hard time listing, but will update my profile as best as I can when I have the time.

Adam

Posts: 3 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Member Since: 12-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post