Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Entry door windows
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Breakins can happen anywhere. Many Barths come with a single cylinder deadbolt in the door. A thief can break the glass and reach in to unlock the deadbolt. A double cylinder deadbolt will protect against that.

Additionally, Barth did not make the doors, so they are of the usual(low)RV quality. My entry door is of the non-screen variety, and is flimsy. I fear it could be pulled open easily by gripping the lower rear corner and pulling. I considered reinforcing the door, but am now planning on installing a second, matching deadbolt toward the bottom. This will only be used in high theft areas.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just leave our two chow dogs in the house. One of them, Big Oz, just loves to meet new people.

Posts: 22 | Location: Houston, Texas | Member Since: 03-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
"loves to meet new people". Gotta love that one.

Yup, two Chows would be a good deterrent, all right. But lots of thefts occur when the RV is parked. Heck, I had a whole darn trailer stolen from storage once. Just a little Shasta, but it was nice, dammit.

We had a thief go through the neighborhood a month ago and broke in to every vehicle that was parked in driveways. Ignored vehicles on the street, including my Barth. He stashed his loot under bushes to come back and pick it all up. He then stole a car and was returning when the police, taking a car break-in report, stopped him.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The crack about the chows, Big Oz in particular is only about half in jest. We live on the North-West side of Houston and have never bothered to lock our doors. I think the bad guys would much rather look for some place without the welcoming committee. Cheap, low tech security system--having 4 dogs in the house. You don't even have to remember to turn them on.

Posts: 22 | Location: Houston, Texas | Member Since: 03-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post