Forums    General Discussions    Approximate cost of repair?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Approximate cost of repair?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted
Yesterday I travelled several hundred miles with $ in hand to buy my Barth. When I saw it, I was troubled by the # of "little things" (?) that were wrong and not disclosed and foreseen. So I didn't 'take it' and now consider whether to let it go and jump on the learning curve of a worthy reclamation project. I have read some of you completely restoring while others got one 'mint' and needing nothing. If you'll indulge me, here are some things needed, and I wonder if anyone would be bold enuf to give me a range of what I would spend if I hired a pro to fix the following:

Ladder in back broken and parts missing, ladder mounts were unattached.

Several rivets missing.

Guages were fogged up with some moisture and some didn't seem to work.

Brakes probably need done.

One wiper arm missing.

Transmission pressure guage reading very very low (even after 30 mins of warm up and 30 mins of driving)

Back up camera/monitor looked like clouds, no picture.

No seat belts (this coach is 15 yrs old)

Dash Heat and AC didn't work at all.

Couch was torn and mended poorly.

Spotlight wouldn't rotate.

There were good things about the coach, but I am not so handy and somewhat a newbie, so I am wondering if any of you who've had any similar experience could help me get my mind around how much $ would be needed to make this functional. I want it more functional than pristine, but I wonder whatit would take. I do know that most of these answers are real close to "it depends", and I also am working to get it to a qualified mechanic(s) to get an estimate. But that will be difficult logistically. So I am wondering if any of you might venture your counsel?
Thanks, Jerry in Atlanta

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
This is only an opinion, but I would pay more for a well-maintained coach because I would have reason to believe that things were fixed as they failed.

I would pay MUCH less for a coach with a lot of neglected maintenance items because I would be afraid of the items I did not see or know about. You could catalog the price of fixing each deficiency you list, but what about the ones you didn't see?

Trust me, there are many more.

Still, if you are handy and can get it cheap enough, it could still be good. The basic Barth structure is good forever.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
You'll need a new couch - go to Flexsteel website (probably a "jacknife" type that makes into a bed).
Couch and new camera system will be $2,000.

My opinion from what you've described: $5,000 to start. "Minor" stuff that went unfixed means the major, unseen stuff was even more neglected.
------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited March 04, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
This coach Jerry is describing is a 34?ft Regency pusher, CAT/Gillig combo. I think I would want to have at least $10K available for this coach when you consider brakes, camera and other deficiency's. What do you all think would be be a good safety net?

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Jerry, It DEPENDS! How deep are your pockets and how much do you want to spend on it.
We bought our Barth in Dec. 2000 from Les in Lincoln, Ill. He had the coach on consignment. He tried to steer me away from it, in that he thought i would be happier in a different coach and this one needed visable work done and had not been maintained very well. (this my opinion.)
I LOVED this coach. I saw the potentiel. What i did not see was the real dollar costs needed to reach that potential.
We paid $27,500 which was a little over 1/2 of asking price. A GOOD deal imo. at the time. RV'S were bringing good money yet at that time. prices fell shortly after.
To date we have invested? (NO! SPENT!) about $65,000.00 including purchase price. This in part due to my inability to do some of the work myself. we were also able to do alot of it ourselves as well. in adition we wanted some improvments others might not want or need.
Our coach still needs some things done to it in time, such as paint and a few misc. items.
Now to be fair, ANY RV that you buy is going to need some work done to it over time. there will be things you want to change, some expensive, some not so bad. If you have to hire everything done it is going to cost.
I think with the improvements we have made our coach should bring around $35,000. NOT a real good investment.
I still contend that i have a better motorhome than if i had spent that money on a stick & staple unit that was brand new. Other opinions may vary.

------------------
mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted Hide Post
Jerry .I am a new RV/Barth owner and I think your getting some good advice... No matter how good of shape the RV you buy is in your going to be doing something.. as Things are always breaking /losening or need to be changed out.. Remember your driving a house down the road... Have you looked at a couple of units.. I looked at about 15/20 and personally went and saw 6/8 and learned alot... Some people are just really good about up keep and some are not.. First hand experience (I am not a mechanic and want thngs to be done right)It is costly to have some one work on your unit.. But as I have found with my autos keeping up is better than catching up... I can clean and lay carpet and stuff like that but I want the thing to run properly... Your list is short now because this is what you were told or see what about the unknown...
A suggestion I would have is have them take the unit to a local RV place and have them at your expense go over it..I did it with 2 of my possible buys and at the cost of 175 for one and I think 125 for the other got alot of helpful information... I felt the price was high for the evaluation but the info I got I feel saved me alot..And you can do this from afar.. as u can set the appointment up and have the seller take it over and "you" only get the results and I must say the seller not knowing what you found out puts you one up in negotiating... I ahd a I think he was asking 9 for a unit and dropped it to 2500 and I felt i could of gotten it for less.. But I also found alot of concerns..
Anyway I bought mine with no mechanic going over it and only was looking at it for about an hour .. went back 3 weeks later and picked it up... I think going thru the process helped me know a good one when I saw it.. and the former owners are still talking to me and are still answering questions for me... they have even emailed me to see how things were going..
Another suggestion which was given to me by a fellow list member take the for sale section here on the list and call all the units you might be interested in no matter how old.. you will be surprised what will come out of it.. the more you talk to these Barth owners the more you learn.. they are just excited about their units and love to help and will even direct you to others that are for sale not on the list but they know about them and will tell you honestly what they know about them.... take care if I can be of any help please feel free to contact me.... MAiden voyage tomorrow ..

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
This coach Jerry is describing is a 34?ft Regency pusher, CAT/Gillig combo. I think I would want to have at least $10K available for this coach when you consider brakes, camera and other deficiency's. What do you all think would be be a good safety net?

I would worry about the big things on this Barth,like CAT and etcs:If you don't take care of the little you don't take care of the big thing!Don't take this that I don't like the CAT I do!I don't like a RV that hasn't been taken care of!

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Barth Regency 34ft. 8.3 Cummins 300 hp.
Spartan K2 MM.

[This message has been edited by bubbiebarth2 (edited March 05, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by bubbiebarth2 (edited March 05, 2005).]

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"I want it more functional than pristine..."

EVERYTHING on a Barth (and most motorhomes)is functional, and pristine = good working order. The nature of the beast is such that everything not functional is culled, due to weight, available space, cost, unintended consequences, etc.; e.g. to the newbie a back-up camera system may seem an unneeded extravagance but the veteran KNOWS how necessary it is.
Also: "Ladder in back broken and parts missing, ladder mounts were unattached..."
Probably backed into something which MAAY indicate unseen structural damage to roof or rear framing; inspect closely from inside to be sure nothing is bent.
------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited March 05, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09

Picture of garryp
posted Hide Post
"Transmission pressure guage"

The guage was probably a temp guage, and low is good.

If you really enjoy restoration projects, have the bucks and patience to restore, do not want immediate use, and can get it at a price that takes into consideration all the flaws, then buy.

Othwerwise, keep looking.

There is a Barth sitting in Columbus, NM (near Poncho Villa State Park). Looks unused, but not sure, as I did not try to find out. Next time I am over there, I will snap a photo and try to get the info if it is 'available'.

Posts: 209 | Location: AZ | Member Since: 09-01-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to throw in my two cents worth. It is much less expensive to buy a well maintained RV than to have one fixed up for you. The last time I asked, RV dealer labor rates were around $60.00 and hour, and that was a few years ago. If you can't do the work yourself, I would keep on shopping.

[This message has been edited by AF retiree (edited March 05, 2005).]

Posts: 7 | Member Since: 02-26-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post