Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Has anyone out there built a PC
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
I went looking for motherboards and was overwhelmed with the choices. Any suggestio9ns??

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
In the back corner, Jack raises his hand in response to what could be a loaded question.
He then answers the question with a ‘Yes’ and then continues with the following questions, to the questioner.

You must first decide what you want to end up with.
What size board (must fit into case)
What type of peripheral boards, and how many?
What CPU chip, and what speed?
What type of memory, and how much?
What Chipset?
Serial, Parallel, and USB (type 1 or 2) support and how many of each?
Configuration of back panel (will it fit existing case)
Do you want built in (i.e. not upgradeable) sound and/or video support.
What type of power supply will be powering it? (and how big will it have to be)
By the time you get to this point, you will be down to one or two boards, and it then becomes things like cost, warranty, package deal, etc.

Have you eliminated a Dell system (either new or reconditioned), which is probably going to be cheaper, work just as well, and arrive in working condition?

HTH YMMV

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Dave:

I use "INTEL" mother boards, they offer solid bios and robust hardware at a fair price.

You may call me at my office 714-516-9580 ext 33 or email me at timothy@entelegence.com I can call you back on the company phone or respond by email. A phone call works better for me for the basic questions.

By the way if you build a computer you will get more horse power for your money but unless you need the horsepower a preassembled computer may be more cost effective.

Best Regards:

Timothy O'Brien

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited December 08, 2004).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave - I used to have a business building small systems for people. It was great when the selling prices in the stores was $1000+.. But now when I can order a complete system from dell for $350 including a CRT and usually free shipping, it doesn't make sense to try to build one. WWW.Dell.com offers decent machines and the offers change weekly. I would highly recommend checking them out.

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I build PC's and servers for a living and have had great sucess with Gigabyte boards. If you are upgrading I can help you with choices or if building a new one I can advise you there as well. E-mail be at dgtilley@shaw.ca and I'll answer any questions you may have.
Dave Tilley

Posts: 4 | Location: Calgary, AB, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post