Forums    General Discussions    New member with questions on longevity :-)
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New member with questions on longevity :-)
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello all,

I'm a 46 year old teacher. I've been fulltiming for 2 years now and love it! I stay in the seattle are for the school year and travel all summer. I noticed there are a few other members in western washington.

I'm presently in a 22 foot '83 winnebago and want to get a slightly newer rig, maybe a little more room and have been looking at bluebirds, newell and barth as my next rig. I can't afford new on a teacher's salary.

I plan to continue full-time until I can't drive safely any more and was wondering if it is realistic to get a barth from the late 80's or early 90's and get another 30 years from it. I cover about 3-5000 miles per year.

Thanks for any input!

Keith

Posts: 2 | Member Since: 06-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Needless to say you can get what you desire, IF YOU MAINTAIN THE COACH, PROPERLY. Hey, I know of many vehicle's that were made in the 40's and 50's that have SURVIVED. To me it is as simple as that, PROPERLY MAINTAINING, ANY MOTOR VEHICLE. Some if not ALL experts would say that 3-5000 miles per year is NOT a POSITIVE though.

Let's see what the EXPERTS say on this subject. Who am I to give out advise?

P.S. I do want to state that there are units out there that would be VERY difficult to keep running for a long period of time, but Barth is CERTAINLY NOT ONE OF THEM. It is QUALITY.
Dale

[This message has been edited by Smith Brother (edited June 13, 2005).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Keith,

I like your thinking, i.e.: look for an older "quality" machine like Barth, Newell, etc. and concentrate on previous-owner care.
THAT'S where the REAL values are.......

If I didn't have my Barth, I'd probably be Newell shopping, and if I lived on the Left Coast, I'd be chasing down & tire-kicking this unit currently on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

At that vintage, the owner would have to be a D-I-Y'er for the care & feeding of it, but OH the admiring stares it would bring from the new Prevost crowd at FMCA shindigs!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Lee, sure hope you are feeling well. I agree about the value of high quality vintage rv's but in my humble opinion. That Foretravel is one UGLY motorhome.

Still something very special about the Barth look, I think.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
OK if we're going to look at SOB's on E Bay, you have to see the 69 MCI. This is my dream sob, but I'm not sure I'd buy it even if I could. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte...rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Dave, if this doesn't link could you do it for me? Thanks

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Never mind Dave, somehow it worked this time.
I really am afraid to figure all this PC stuff out because I figure if I do it'll be time to check out. Seriously though, we have a really good community college offering reasonable courses. Can I really get good at this stuff by taking one of these?

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There 8 Barths listed on RV Trader Online.
There's a 1984 30' listed in Minot, ND, for $15,500 and a 1988 28' listed in Portland, OR, for $19,950. You should check out this
website. Just search using the name Barth,
but you can't beat the Barthmobile website.
That's where I found my 1985 25' Regal B for
a very reasonable amount.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
The smog laws are I think the big deal. You can keep anything running but engines built in the 80's and into the early 90's may prove harder to smog in the comming years. The cut off in California is 1973, 73 and before do not require smog checks. That Newell is looking rather attractive. Chevy engine parts are more common that the Ford parts from this period, that may be something to think about. The Barth models built on a P30 are easy to get low cost parts for.

When I purchased my 73 I went in with the idea that everything except the chasis and frame would need to be replaced. It is a bit of work and I never expect to see a return. On the other hand I have a new 73 Barth and I expect to be complete in the six thousand dollar range, recaro seats included. This assumes my labor at zero value.

There are many views, this is just mine.

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Keith. I think a Newell or Bird would offer more than "a little more room. I agree with your choice of three quality coaches. However, only a Barth would offer "a little more room". A Bird or Newell would offer a lot more room. And they are diesels. Are you considering a diesel or gas Barth?

Regardless, a Barth body is so well built that it will easily last 30 years. I got tired of coaches getting rickety on me and bought a Barth. If you want a gas coach, ir is either BArth or and old Airstream, and they have less storage. A Bird or Newell will also last 30 years. A Barth seems to be a better value, though. The year of a coach is not as important as maintenance it has had. Or hasn't had.

One more thing: Make your decision on length based on where you will be camping. Many sites have length restrictions.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited June 13, 2005).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Great feedback! :-)

As far as keeping an older rig running, it's like you guys said, it's certainly possible. I am a DIYer except for major drivetrain and chasis repair, and I don't mind the work. I've considered keeping my Winnie going for many more years, but I don't think it makes as much sense as getting a very high quality used coach to dump the money, care and time into. Something that might actually last the 30 years till check out time. ;-)

It's like "bill h" said, even though my winnebago quality seems "okay" it already feels a little "rickety".

As far as power goes, I am a big diesel fan. My 22 foot Brave has the 6.2 diesel and I tow a VW diesel golf. I maintain these engines myself, if you can call filters, fluids, glow plugs, belts, alternators, etc. maintenance. only the easy stuff so far.

I will be traveling from Seattle back to Tenn. to visit family in July or Aug. I am just taking the toad and towbar in case I find a new "home". I'll check out the good possiblities along the way if you guys have any suggestions or are considering selling one of your rigs.

Thanks again! :-)

Keith

Posts: 2 | Member Since: 06-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkalford:
even though my winnebago quality seems "okay" it already feels a little "rickety".

Keith

Oh, you are in for a very pleasant surprise. There is no comparison. The difference will be so stunning that you might be so smitten that you will fall in love and buy the first one you drive. .

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by davebowers:
in my humble opinion. That Foretravel is one UGLY motorhome.

[/QUOTE

Dave, Foretravels got better looking in the later years. Here is an early one that is YOOGLY!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4290260683&idx=2

posted Hide Post
Keith:
Be sure to check the "For Sale" on this site. Some have been on there for some time and may still be for sale. I know ours is on there in Indiana but it is not a diesel. Like the others said, look at several and don't jump on the first one. They are a great coach and I know you will find what you like.
Cowboy

Posts: 24 | Location: Andrews, IN USA | Member Since: 09-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I agree with bill about the surprize in ride. I recently road in a 99 Georgie Boy with less than 25 thousand miles and it actually scared me going down the highway. I'm sure if this was all you had experienced you'd think that this is just the way coaches are. Not so! They don't all creak and groan when you walk around in them sitting still, and they don't all feel like they are ready to come apart at any moment going 65 down the highway.
BTW, the MCI auction is over and they didn't get a single bid.!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

[This message has been edited by Danny Zeeff (edited June 15, 2005).]

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We had a lady in Prescott, AZ who sold a (as I recall) 1996 Barth 36ft Monarch. I think she got somewhere around $85K for it. She bought a brand new Monaco Executive $450K or so. I wrote here an email and made a statement like, "wow you ware really moving up in luxury." She let me know in no uncertain terms that the Monaco's ride was not where near the Barth. She said that when she turned a corner with the Monaco she could hear it squeak and twist and so, but the Barth was sure and solid and like driving sedan vs. a panel truck. Even though she had upgraded to the multiple slide coach, she made sure I knew the difference. I'll never forget that, I wish I would have saved her email. The Barth she sold was some beauty also.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post