Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tires
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
There was an article in the Daytona News Journal today about the school bus maintenance program. In the article it said "tires are about $260 each now, but they will be $400 in October".
Has anyone heard of big tire price increases? I will need a set in about a year I'm wondering if I should move it up.
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Tires prices have increased dramatically already. I bought Michelin XZE 225R70 19.5 load range G three years ago and paid $300 ea +/- for the 2 front tires, two years ago I bought four for the rear for $360 ea and now replacing the front 2 because of the panic stop flat spotting I paid $450 ea for 2. Crazy!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
And I thought that in a recession, prices at least were supposed to stay stable, if not decrease. What's wrong with this picture?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Devaluation of the dollar and inflation are the only two explanations...

BUT....you know we aren't having any of that according to government stats....

All I know, is that it takes more money at the grocery store to fill the buggy....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The price of tires will follow the price of oil. This said crude oil has dropped about $20 in the past couple of months. Much of this is due to the raising value of the dollar.

That said I just installed two China tires on the front of our Breakaway for about $550 for the pair out the door.

Next year probably will require 4 more for the rear due to age.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w&bknocke:
There was an article in the Daytona News Journal today about the school bus maintenance program. In the article it said "tires are about $260 each now, but they will be $400 in October".
Has anyone heard of big tire price increases? I will need a set in about a year I'm wondering if I should move it up.
Wayne
wally 34ft monarch van isle,is recapping a good option in the states?

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
If I was a trucker and drove a lot of miles, I might consider recaps.

BUT since I have my family in the vehicle, don't drive it all that much, only have to deal with 8 tires instead of 18, I would always worry about the recaps blowing on the road....

For me....the peace of mind of new tires outweighs the money saved.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I suppose it is but this is not a truck application. The amount of alligators I see on the road and the potential damage a recap coming off could do to the coach I would never consider it.

Tires are one thing I never skimp on!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:

That said I just installed two China tires on the front of our Breakaway

EEEEEK!

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The Chinese tires I bought are Cooper spec tires. Imported and distributed by them. In over 55 years of tire ownership I have always had good luck with Cooper. The last set of tires I bought were Bridgestone and were just OK.

I will not use Michelin on a MH do to their sidewall cracking. Have had terrible luck with Goodyear on our bus. The best tires I have had for RV use were Kumho.

The thing about "Made in China" they are as good as the company ordering them. If you want cheap you get cheap. But if you want quality you can get that also at an affordable price. Keep in mind your Ipad, Iphone and Ipod are all made in China as well as most of the stuff from Walmart.

That said we will all know in 4 or 5 years if I made the right choice.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I know I would never trust any tires from China.
My grandson had bought two sets of tires that were made in China and both sets failed.
No he wasn't a hot rodder and drove a small Toyota.
I told him after the first set that China tires just don't have the quality built into them. After the second set failed he agreed and said he would never buy another set.

I have had good service out of the Goodyears I put on my MH. On my cars I have always used Michelin, however would not use them on the MH because Michelin was having a sidewall problem on MH tires. They claim that problem has now been fixed.

Because of an increase in price of the Michelins I bought a set of Coopers for my 1988 Crown Vic. We don't use this car very much except on Sundays and car shows as it is in mint condition with 36000 org.miles.

I would never put on or trust tires from China on a MH. Having a tire blow out or fail in a 35 ft MH isn't something I want to experience.

Jim

1985 Barth Regency
35ft DD Ally trans.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim & Barb:
I know I would never trust any tires from China.
My grandson had bought two sets of tires that were made in China and both sets failed.
No he wasn't a hot rodder and drove a small Toyota.
I told him after the first set that China tires just don't have the quality built into them. After the second set failed he agreed and said he would never buy another set.

I have had good service out of the Goodyears I put on my MH. On my cars I have always used Michelin, however would not use them on the MHwally because Michelin was having a sidewall problem on MH tires. They claim that problem has now been fixed.

Because of an increase in price of the Michelins I bought a set of Coopers for my 1988 Crown Vic. We don't use this car very much except on Sundays and car shows as it is in mint condition with 36000 org.miles.

I would never put on or trust tires from China on a MH. Having a tire blow out or fail in a 35 ft MH isn't something I want to experience.

Jim

1985 Barth Regency
35ft DD Ally trans.

wally 34ft monarch vanisle.please google recapped tires for motor homes.It is eye opening that some prison institutions are recapping excellent tires.Why not,it is a move up from making licsense plates.In Canada recappers are strictly regulated.

Edited by Rusty to separate reply

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I had Wan-Li tires on the front (The Kellys had blisters); I had belt separation after <40K miles.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I had Wan-Li tires on the front (The Kellys had blisters); I had belt separation after <40K miles.
Rusty thank you for editing my piece.also thanks for suggesting rotella oil.I like the golden look.Chat with you soon as i know you are busy with milford.I find the Barth format very imfomative.

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
...just paid @2800 for 6 Michelins installed at MCR---was quoted $2000 last year!!

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2589 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post