Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

RFID - in a Tatoo
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
Frost & Sullivan Microelectronics Technology Alert - 01/19/07
Radio-frequency identification (RFID) tags continue to become more common. First introduced as a way for pallet-level tracking of goods in warehouses, the tiny radio tags are being introduced in a variety of scenarios, including a next-generation US passport. Now, a startup company reports that they have developed a form of RFID tag that can be applied as a tattoo using special ink into the skin of an animal. By patterning the skin with the biocompatible ink in a precise geometric pattern, the researchers claim that they can form a ‘chipless’ RFID tag within the skin of an animal that can then be detected using a scanner from up to four feet away, through the animal’s hair, without line of sight.
"This proves the ability to create a synthetic biometric or ‘fake fingerprint’ with biocompatible, chipless RFID ink and read it through hair," said Ramos Mays, chief scientist for Somark Innovations, the company conducting the trial. Mays said that the findings served as a true proof-of-principle of the company’s plans. The developers plan to first target the technology at agricultural markets to allow better identification and tracking of cattle. Such tracking is especially important to help protect against the spread of animal-born diseases such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or ‘mad cow disease.’ Further down the road, the company officials hope to extend the technology by licensing it for use in other markets, including pets, laboratory animal tracking, and even tagging of military personnel.
The FDA has approved the use of a different form of implantable RFID tag, inserted in a capsule under the skin, for use in medical applications. Such devices are also being marketed as a way of identifying the owners of lost pets.
The amount of information contained in an RFID tattoo using the new technology would depend on the amount of surface area covered by the ink pattern, the researchers said.
Details: Mark Pydynowski, Somark Innovations Inc., 4041 Forest Park Ave., Saint Louis, MO 63108. Phone: 314-615-6391. E-mail: mark@somarkinnovations.com.

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
w/ “FRED” FRont End Diesel
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Such devices are also being marketed as a way of identifying the owners of lost pets.

You mean the owners get the tags and not the pets??
...and the pets call 911 when they are lost?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
that's useless. I would want it on the kids and it has to be locatable within 100 miles. Tattoo them as infants I say. On the butt or somewhere where it doesn't show. Oh, and how about the wife too? Not on the butt though....

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Take Dave’s idea and apply big brother government theory and what do you have? Something kind of scary.

’84 Barth Regal 25 ‘
w/ “FRED” FRont End Diesel
Chevy 6.2 L diesel

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike, I agree with you - the implications ARE scary.... especially since it seems more and more that 911 WAS an 'inside job" as the the validity of the official story requires either suspension of or complete disbelief in the laws of physics.

Posts: 48 | Location: boonville,ca. | Member Since: 01-30-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I was of course kidding. I think there is NO chance that tattooing of people to keep track of them in the US is a possibility. Maybe N. Korea or some totalitarian slave state.

The memory of the Holocaust itself is enough to NEVER allow this in any country that I am aware of.

But for animals people have been branding cattle for probably a 1000 years. They have been inserting those things in dogs and cats for what, 20 years.

I would add however, (and I don't mean tattoos) if there is a tag one could pin on kids clothing so that you could find them easily if you lost them at Disneyland or the fair, (like we have) I would be for that..

When bar codes first came out, I know a guy who was president of a major company here in Minnetonka, MN who refused to use them because he was sure it was a "sign of the beast".

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grouchyandugly
posted Hide Post
i am certain that hillary would love to have one on bill (anywhere). to say that 911 was an inside job, one would have to know absoulutely nothing concerning placing explosives enough to bring down buildings, the manpower/womanpower involved and the length of time placing charges; and this is america ! where everyone is EAGER to leak anything to the press !
the JFK assasssiation was an inside job; performed by a former marine; who is now standing (figuratively) next to murtha.

Posts: 6 | Location: Macclenny, Florida | Member Since: 01-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I used to wear an ID card with a locater chip. It spent a lot of time in a metal container while I wore a duplicate.

the first one they gave me had a magnetic stripe that showed a pretty blonde girl from another airline when it was scanned. I hunted her down, and got her door access code number to see how long I could use my card wwith her picture. I went months and months that way, bing waved through all sorts of checkpoints by semi-somnalent TSA and airport security monitors. The FBI finally blew my cover on one of Gerald Ford's trips to NY. They got upset when they saw how long I had been using the card. I pointed out that they had checked me almost weekly for months themselves, as GF flew back and forth a lot then. They decided to drop the matter if I would get a new card.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
OH OH. I think I am in trouble. I think the FBI knows I just posted here about the card. There is a black helicopter circling Las Posas now.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
quote:
semi-somnalent

I was a drama major, what does that mean..

And hey guys, no politics...I am very paranoid about this.

Hey I believe those airliners flying into those buildings knocking them down about as much as i believe that we went to the moon..or that they don't have a flying saucer sitting down at Area 52. ha

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
El Segundo Bill must have been half-asleep when he posted semi-somnalent. He meant semi-somnolent. No wonder Dave didn't understand him.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
No Roy, drama majors would not recognize semi-somnolent either.

Not to change the subject but has this website seemed slow as snot to anyone but me for the last day or so??

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Dave, indeed it has been incredibly slow. When I posted about Bill being half-asleep I thought the website had gone to sleep. I wonder if we've caught a virus.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Just now it took 15 seconds for this reply window to open, and it took one full minute for the previous post to appear after I hit the "Post Now," button.