Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Amsoil as fuel additive
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
Larry Perry ( the Magic Mechanic of Winter Park Fl) was on radio advocating adding Amsoil outboard 1:100 oil to fuel. His rational was the ethanol in gasoline reduces it's lubriosity. He also said low sulfur diesel was hard on injectors. He recommends adding 1 oz per 5 gal of fuel.
What do you guys with years of experience think of this idea?
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
I think I would check with Amsoil and see if they have any similar recommendations... they know their own formula better than anyone. There are still limited places to get non-ethanol gasoline... buy it there instead. I wonder if this topic has been covered at bobistheoilguy.com forums... those are some oil guru's over there!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w&bknocke:
Larry Perry ( the Magic Mechanic of Winter Park Fl) was on radio advocating adding Amsoil outboard 1:100 oil to fuel. His rational was the ethanol in gasoline reduces it's lubriosity. He also said low sulfur diesel was hard on injectors. He recommends adding 1 oz per 5 gal of fuel.
What do you guys with years of experience think of this idea?
Wayne

LOL...my years of experience go so far back that I still love the smell of castor oil from a vehicle exhaust. Or from the open hairpin valve springs on a Norton Manx. Perhaps I will add some just because I like the smell. When I raced a two stroke on Sundays (using castor oil), I drained the gas on Monday and put it in my Vespa, which was my commuter bike. It smelled real nice, but people stared. I got smiles and thumbs-up from the few who knew what it was.

But, drifting back to the thread, top lubes have been favored by many since forever. I remember a glass jar under the hood that had top lube sucked into the intake manifold to keep valves and rings free, etc. And, of course, MMO, Bardahl, etc all have their proponents

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w&bknocke: His rational was the ethanol in gasoline reduces it's lubriosity.
Wayne

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO1963 I am looking at a 1960 fuel injected Mercedes gas sedan. Salesman says it is really wonderful but you need to add a little oil to the gas since they don't refine as well in Europe as we do so they have some oil left in the gas and it has higher lubricity. Sound familiar? I doubt the German's missed much in refinery technology.
Bet Perry's rationale is financial or fictional.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use marine 2-cycle oil in both my diesel van and the Barth, about 1 oz/3 gal. While blenders are supposed to meet minimum specs for lubricity, those specs are much below what even LSD provided, and have shown slight wear in IPs.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
I, too, run marine 2 cycle oil in my diesel engines, including our Barth. Read alot about the low sulfer diesel fuel and it's effect on diesel engines, particularly the older ones that used the diesel fuel as a lubricant. This would be most of our diesel engines in our Barths.
My mix is a little stronger than Rusty. I mix 1 oz. per gallon. You do not have to go buy the expensive name brand additives to do this. After researching this on the internet and recommendations given, I just go to Walmart and buy their brand of marine 2 cycle in the blue 1 gallon jug! Then I put it in 16 oz. squeeze bottles. And each time I pull in to refuel, I will add one of my 16 oz. bottles for every 1/4 tank of fuel I will putting in BEFORE I start the pump.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
FWIW my son owns a trucking company and has tractors with well over a million miles. He runs Lucas. All of his tractors are on first passage with no rebuilds. They are Freightliners.

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The need is fairly primitive, so the use of exotic oil is wasted $. 2-cycle oil is preferred as it's formulated to be combusted. Some folks recommend ATF, but that has additives not designed for combustion. Others recommend "recycling" used engine oil, but my point there is,"Why run back through the engine the contaminants the oil has captured?"

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post