Forums    General Discussions    Looking to buy a 1973 25 foot Barth this weekend
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Looking to buy a 1973 25 foot Barth this weekend
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of vdubnut
posted
Anything I need to look out for with these, over and above the typical motorhome stuff?

If All goes well I should be the proud owner of this on saturday:

-Mike

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog
http://73Barth.blogspot.com

Posts: 39 | Location: Bellevue, WA | Member Since: 01-14-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Make sure the windshield is good.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
If it is not a Chevy chassis, parts availability may be a concern. I think I've read that Dodge and International Harvester chassis rigs were made.

Get underneath and check the condition of the steel framing for the floor, and the interface between the steel framing of the floor and the aluminum framing of the walls.

I hope all goes well!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
This Barth is likely identical to my 1975 Barth. The outside window placement is the same as is the paint color.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/10
Picture of kokoken
posted Hide Post
Lots of luck on getting this. I love the looks of it.

1979 24 footer

Posts: 65 | Location: Indiana | Member Since: 07-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill. Okay The windsheild doesn't have cracks of any kind, but are the seals common place if they look too weathered?

Matt, So I will get under and look at the floor, and where the floor attaches to the walls, thanks for that. What specifically do I need to look for? Just corrosion, or is there a specific fail point in those connections?

Mary, I'd love to see your interior, as it seems no two are alike on here. I'll share with you a few more pics the current owner sent me. http://flickr.com/gp/mikeblumenstein/T7U76P

So, the current owner bought it from a friend's estate, and due to his friend's deteriorating health it has sat for about 7-8 years now, but he winterized it so the plumbing should be fine. He bought it for the motor and 4k Onan Genset, as he has a HotRod shop. (because of THIS board, he decided to sell it rather than part it out, you guys helped save another one!)

Somewhere along the line the roof vent cracked (Still needs replaced, covered right now) so the water got in and destroyed the ceiling panels, doesn't look too hard to replace, I guess when I see it in person that will tell me more.

Pilot seats are in great shape, it's running a Chevy 454 Chassis, so parts should be readily available for that.

The paint needs some work on the outside, I think I might polish it and bring the red outside a bit. I'm a bit of a fan of red. Everything works including a 120v water heater in addition to the Propane heater, stove, oven, fridge, pumps, tanks... needs a couple house batteries, tires and some TLC, but this looks to be a great coach.

I'll let you know how much I'm paying for it AFTER I buy it on Saturday. Thumbs Up

-Mike

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog

Posts: 39 | Location: Bellevue, WA | Member Since: 01-14-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
These windows seem to be unavailable. Like Bill said, make sure they are good.

Even if you don't get it, take a picture or two and share them with us - please also get an image of the data tag.

For 73... it could look like any of these. Usually mounted inside below the drivers side - side window.

http://i244.photobucket.com/al...os/pa8ntfxrs-73a.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/al..._upload/BarthTag.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/al..._upload/IMG_4642.jpg

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I sent you a private message.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
These windows seem to be unavailable. Like Bill said, make sure they are good.

Even if you don't get it, take a picture or two and share them with us - please also get an image of the data tag.

For 73... it could look like any of these. Usually mounted inside below the drivers side - side window.

http://i244.photobucket.com/al...os/pa8ntfxrs-73a.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/al..._upload/BarthTag.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/al..._upload/IMG_4642.jpg

No problem. Just priced out a few things for it, looks to be a pretty reasonable deal for what he's asking vs what most of this era are asking for theirs. This should be a nice investment and project.

From the pictures he sent me, the windshield is in great condition. The VIN is CPZ373J115923 if that helps at all, I'll take a picture of the tag either way and post it up.

-Mike

1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vdubnut:
The VIN is CPZ373J115923 if that helps at all, I'll take a picture of the tag either way and post it up.
The number you're looking for would look something like this.

72081169MC22
73071381MC25

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
Today's the Day! Roads are clear, snow has melted, Mountain Passes are clear. All good things. Smiler

I'll post up more pictures tonight if/when I bring her home.

Wish us luck for a safe trip.

-Mike

1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
God Bless and safe traveling. Smiler

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vdubnut
posted Hide Post
Well I bought it, ended up getting it for $1800 as she is in need of a bit of repair here and there.

Weird thing, is there is not Data tag inside the coach, I see where it used to be, but now it's nowhere to be found.

Have no fear, I do have the Serial Number, as it came with all of the original paperwork, I have the binder, the tabbed sections, even a 1974 edition of the Barth Rangers.

Serial# 73021247MC25
Model 25A
Decor: Plan 2
Factory # 717094003
Sold by Cartier Coach Company in Sylvania, Ohio
Date of Delivery 5/23/1974 with (05893 Miles)
Original Price? $20,994

Yesterday I started pulling the ceiling down as there were SEVERAL water leaks after sitting for so long, replaced the front vent cover and the fan switch, removed the broken antenna and patched and sealed the hole in the roof, replaced the Coach battery and fired up the generator from the panel, works great. Engine runs strong a bit over 90k on the clock, I will take some better pictures soon (it was a mess with the insulation everywhere, didn't want my camera in that mess).

Fridge Works, propane is empty but previous owner said he ran it down with the fridge... (hmm) but it gets really cold with 120v. Converter workd when plugged in, but for some reason the lights and stuff don't work off 12v alone (any thoughts?).

Had to replace a couple tires as I had a blow out on the trip home, $400 later we were back on the road and got home safely.

Post more later!

-Mike

1973 25 Foot
P30 Chevy with 454
73021247MC25
Follow My blog

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Converter workd when plugged in, but for some reason the lights and stuff don't work off 12v alone (any thoughts?).

I'm guessing you mean the 12V lights work when the converter is plugged in, but won't off the batteries alone. They are always running 12V, even off the converter.

You could have dead house batteries, do any other 12V items run off battery alone? Also, check to see if there is a house battery disconnect somewhere in the loop. You could take your house batteries out and have them checked at most any parts store. After sitting that long there could easily be one that is shorted completely out.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/10
Picture of kokoken
posted Hide Post
Sincerist congrats from Indiana !!!

Thanks for rescuing another oldie but goodie.

I can't wait to see pics. Two months ago I bought my 1979 24 footer, paid a LOT more but it was in great shape.

1979 24 footer

Posts: 65 | Location: Indiana | Member Since: 07-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post