Forums    General Discussions    What insurance do you carry?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What insurance do you carry?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
What insurance companies do you use and what type of coverage. I feel no matter what I put into my barth if I total it they're going to value it super low and cut my a check for next to nothing with State Farm. The towing coverage is up to 100 ... I would guess an RV would be much more. Does anyone have aaa? Is that worth it? Doesn't it cover a full tow? Any added benefits for RVs? State farm asks the full retail value in 77 like that has anything to do with the value. I wish o could just insure it to a set name of what I have in it roughly and pay accordingly ... Not a value at the time. I never understood why that matters. With a house you insure a specific value to cover replacement cost.

Posts: 42 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Member Since: 04-27-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Good Sam and FMCA have excellent road service plans. Nick Cagle has AAA and has been pleased (But his wife worked there for years and that may be a factor).

Progressive and GMAC (through Good Sam) have RV-tailored policies. Progressive would require an inspection and photos; GMAC didn't offer RV coverage when I represented them, so I don't know its restrictions. Foremost used to have RV packages. I have mine with Auto-Owners, but it has no RV enhancements.

Most likely, coverage will be offered on a "Stated Amount" basis, which sounds good, but it means for total loss, the policy will pay the LESSER of Stated Amount or Actual Cash Value.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Hagerty insures coaches but they do have pretty wide coverage on boats, classic cars and cars. It seems they offer an agreed value policy as well. Might give them a try.
Tim
http://www.hagerty.com/

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Progressive gives a policy with an agreed value which pays the agreed value with no deprecation.

When is Car Insurance Not Good Enough? When You Use It to Cover Your RV
From the quirky to the commonplace, Progressive warns many mishaps not covered by common car policies; urges considering specialized RV insurance.
MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio — October 13, 2008 — Imagine leaving your RV set up at a campsite and returning to find that a family of bears has moved in and, because they weigh hundreds of pounds and are not the best housekeepers, the RV is torn apart. Or accidentally flooding your neighbor's coach with "black water" by mistakenly hooking your water connections up to the trailer next door. These incidents may sound far-fetched, but they actually happened to Progressive customers. Fortunately for them, they were covered because they had specialized RV insurance, but a lot of RVers wouldn't be.
"Some people make the mistake of adding their RV onto their car insurance policy, only to find out too late that the car policy doesn't cover a lot of things that can go wrong in an RV," said Cathy Pelfrey, RV product manager, Progressive. "An RV is much more than a car — it's a house on wheels. So an RVer really needs a specialized policy that covers more than what standard car insurance covers."
As the number one brand of RV insurance sold through independent insurance agents in the country, Pelfrey says Progressive has seen its share of oddball claims over the years, as well as everyday mishaps that may be excluded from standard auto coverage. For example, if your RV is damaged during a trip, an auto policy could leave you out in the cold but Progressive's RV insurance would pay up to $2,000 for lodging and transportation so you could still enjoy your vacation. Similarly, expensive items like outdoor gear, laptops or other electronics stolen from inside your RV would be covered by an RV policy but typically would not be covered by an auto policy.
Specialized RV coverage can also protect you against depreciation if your RV is totaled. A car insurance policy could only pay the RV�s actual cash value, but an RV Agreed Value policy would pay the amount that you and the insurance company agreed the RV was worth when you bought the policy, regardless of the RV�s value at the time of the loss.
"We're sharing this information about claims and coverages because we want RVers to understand what their policies cover and to make sure they have the protection that best meets their individual needs," said Pelfrey.
While RV insurance covers most of what can go wrong in an RV, there are exceptions. Take the case of the customer who let his motor home fall into such disrepair that the roof seals were leaking, resulting in a small forest of mushrooms growing underneath his couch. Because RVers are required to maintain their coaches, this claim was denied.
To learn more about Progressive's RV coverages, go to http://rv.progressive.com.
About Progressive
The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies, in business since 1937, is one of the country's largest auto insurance groups, the largest seller of motorcycle and personal watercraft policies, and a market leader in commercial auto insurance based on premiums written.
Progressive is committed to becoming consumers' #1 choice for auto insurance by providing competitive rates and innovative products and services that meet drivers' needs throughout their lifetimes, including superior online and in-person customer service, and best-in-class, 24-hour claims service, such as its concierge level of claims service available at service centers located in major metropolitan areas throughout the United States.
Progressive companies offer consumers choices in how to shop for, buy and manage their auto insurance policies. Progressive offers its products, including personal and commercial auto, motorcycle, boat and recreational vehicle insurance, through more than 30,000 independent insurance agencies throughout the U.S. and online and by phone directly from the Company. Private passenger auto products and prices are different when purchased directly from Progressive or through independent agencies. To find an agent or to get a quote, go to http://www.progressive.com.
The Common Shares of The Progressive Corporation, the Mayfield Village, Ohio-based holding company, are publicly traded at NYSE:PGR.
###

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Progressive sounds promising ...

Posts: 42 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Member Since: 04-27-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree, Progressive is excellent (I represented them for 20+ years). They started out as a carrier for sub-standard drivers, but are now competitive across all lines. USAA partners with Progressive for RVs, a pretty strong testimonial.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel this is commercial advertising parading as feel good conversation. Is there a policy here to ban commercial hucksterism?? Ted M. Ball

Posts: 38 | Location: roseville, ca | Member Since: 06-24-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, sky's wife Anne owns, and I owned, general lines insurance agencies for over twenty years each. I think we are qualified to render opinions on certain insurors. Comments on companies that aren't mentioned are, in fact, comments that aren't necessarily flattering.

Neither Anne not I would have any expectation of writing coverage on any Barthmobiler, so there is no expectation of reward.

If you don't value our opinions, feel free to ignore them.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
No name of any agency was never mentioned. Op asked about experience with insureance company and I have experience with progressive with an agreed amount of coverage on mh. Where was the advertising at?

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
I guess TMB is afraid he may learn something. If you don't like the thread you may move on.

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post