Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Newbie looking for info and Advice
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello All,

I found a 1985 Barth on an online auction, and decided to take a trip on the wild side and bid on it. Well I won the auction but needless to say I know nothing about A Barth Motor Coach accept for what I have read here or other sites. The aluminum construction and rear diesel engine was a real appeal to me. And here is where it gets really crazy, I'm in Dealer Georgia and the coach is in California. The auction gave very minimal information or even running condition. Hopefully I can post some pics here, wondering if there anyway tell what model it is, how long it and if there is anyone in the LA California area that knows about these. I had it move to a RV shop today to have it looked over and waiting to hear from them. Still trying to decide if I want to bring it to Georgia or sell it.

Thanks
Mike
404-271-7945

Posts: 11 | Location: United States | Member Since: 03-03-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is another pic

Posts: 11 | Location: United States | Member Since: 03-03-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another picture

posted Hide Post
Side view picture.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Given the year, and a diesel pusher, it is a Regency model. Early to mid 80s Regencies were usually 35 or 36 feet long, built on the MCC chassis and powered by the 8.2L GM diesel.

They, like all Barths, are orphans. These early Regencies were the orphans of the orphans. The MCC chassis was one of the best riding ever made, with adjustable torsion bar suspension. Some suspension parts are getting hard to find. Search this site.

The early 8.2 GM diesels were prone to and sensitive to overheating. With good maintenance and close attention they ran well. Later 8.2s had head bolts mods, etc and were more reliable.

Later Regencies had Spartan or Gillig chassis with Cat or Cummins behind.

The MCC/GM Regencies weren't all bad but then again, it's 30 yrs old. caveat emptor and good luck.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5173 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you
Mike

posted Hide Post
Thank you, Its Currently in Colton Ca. 92324

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
GA Mike

We had a 35 regency for 14 years. It was a great coach and we had a lot of fun with it. The 8.2 is a good motor as long as you maintain it and make sure it is running normal without overheating. I would suggest that if you keep it you put an overheat alarm (red light, or better yet a buzzer) that gets your attention before the damage is done. We lost our engine coming back from a trip. Wasn't paying much attention to the gauges (my fault) and when I saw the smoke it was too late. The problem was the rad that was clogged with road dust and oil. The fellow who purchased it off us had it rebuilt and the rad cleaned and it he says it runs great.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the info and support, this one was donated to charity and I purchased it from the charity. Allot of time charity item just sit around allot, and I'm new batteries and fluid changes will be all it needs. I love the look of if,more like a high end coach than a slap together motor home. Hopefully the shop wil call today with an up date
Mike

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time to talk this afternoon. Hope you found the information helpful. Keep the threads going. I'm sure every one will be interested, and a lot of help to you. Thumbs Up

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for your help, it helped allot.

A brief update, the coach was moved to a shop on Tuesday and it apparent it has sat for awhile. They are draining all the old fuel and replacing with fresh and changing filters. Also new chassis and house battery are being installed. Guys at shop say body is good also interior but being 30 years is old is dated.

Thanks
Mike

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
being 30 years is old is dated

mustn't say "dated". nono It is VINTAGE

Welcome to the forum, Mike. Keep the beauty for yourself. If you don't realize it already, reading the Barth history and examining this coach will convince you that it is in a different league from every 'stick n staple" RV. This Barth was VERY expensive, back in the day, compared to all but a few other extraordinary motor coaches.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Were you able to find out if the books and paperwork are still with the coach?

Dated though the interior fabric may be you have a coach that if the body is straight, and it is mechanically sound, you have something that is far beyond the SOB's(some other brand)out there. IMHO.

From what I have learned in studying the info. on this site, the cabinetry in your coach is worth more than an entire (built for the masses) coach you see so many of for sale on the market today.

Hope you continue to hear good things about your coach. Good luck. cheers

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
For others following this thread; There is a good bit of information and some photos on this coach here on Barthmobile. (Texifornia)

Joel Taylor

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Joel, R U saying there is another thread pertaining to it?
link please
When I search "Texifornia" the only hit is your post from this morning.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post