Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Older Air Conditioning Re-Charge
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Eric D.
posted
Like others here I have a pre-1995 coach.The air conditioning systems,roof and dash need a little help.My question is has anyone tried R-416a as a drop in replacement for R-12.Was the change over successful or did you have problems?

Posts: 44 | Location: Bay Area | Member Since: 02-21-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Eric,

I replaced both of my roof airs last summer. My older units still cooled well but they were noisy and OLD (vintage 1995). I bought 2 new units on EBAY, a 13500 and 15000 for $1250 (I think) and then sold the old but still functioning units for $275 each ($550) on craigslist...total net cost of around $700. I would caution about spending much on repairing them....

By the way, the new units are 410A I think...and it's an easy 2 man, 4 hour job to swap them out...good Saturday morning project....

K

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I converted my '87 Ford 1T van to R134a, and there is no discernible difference in cooling. My Breakaway is on an early '92 chassis, and is stock with R134a. I think the old roof units use R22 (standard for residential units).

Your dash air could be R134a.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Remember these are sealed systems (like almost any A/C), not designed to need recharge. There's a leak if so.

My dash A/C has never worked, and I don't find any reason to use it. It would do very little to cool the large interior on a hot day, and I'd rather keep the extra load off the engine (by keeping dash A/C turned off) and run both roof A/C's on the generator while driving.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Can't a service tech put a "tap" in the line and add the freon? One of my old roof airs had what I thought was a tap on it. Also, R12 has come down in price somewhat and might still be cheaper to add a few ounces of the R12 than convert over to something new...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
Can't a service tech put a "tap" in the line and add the freon? One of my old roof airs had what I thought was a tap on it. Also, R12 has come down in price somewhat and might still be cheaper to add a few ounces of the R12 than convert over to something new...

R-12 is running 20/25.00 for a 14oz can and around 500.00 for a "sealed" 30lb container.I used to buy it legally for about 100.00 a 30 lb can of DuPont.Rather than stay with a vanishing resource,I thought I would change over to something more current.

Posts: 44 | Location: Bay Area | Member Since: 02-21-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric D.
posted Hide Post
What initiated this is that I have a non-ic engine.So,in my infinite wisdom I decided to add a charge cooler.Well,to do that without modifying the the rear access door,I have to separate the radiator stack which means a freon recharge as I am moving the condenser.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Not certain which coach you have, but it looks like a diesel pusher.

On the Breakaway the condenser is on the lower left hand side near the rear. Not in the radiator stack.

I use a product call enviro safe to replace the R12. Seems to work fine. I do have the same problem as others here, in it shutting down.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric D.:
Like others here I have a pre-1995 coach.The air conditioning systems,roof and dash need a little help.My question is has anyone tried R-416a as a drop in replacement for R-12.Was the change over successful or did you have p roblems?
wally vancouver island-r-416a is a blend and has to be introduced as a liquid to benifit from all the goodies.

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wally povajnuk:
quote:
Like others here I have a pre-1995 coach.The air conditioning systems,roof and dash need a little help.My question is has anyone tried R-416a as a drop in replacement for R-12.Was the change over successful or did you have problems?
wally Vancouver island-r-416a is a blend and has to be introduced as a liquid to benefit from all the goodies.

Thank you Wally,you da man.When you added/replaced the freon which fittings were on your gauges,the r-12,134a,or is there a new coupling for the 400 series?
Gary you are correct,mine is a 160hp,at542,Dana 80 pusher.And I am still looking for an early 2000 series Allison for a changeover.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wally povajnuk:
quote:
wally Vancouver island-r-416a is a blend and has to be introduced as a liquid to benefit from all the goodies.
Wally Vancouver Island.Lets Take My 92 Safari Van as an example.1-it didnt work right.It did have original f-12 fittings,suction has regular hose size fittings.Hi side is smaller.I got an adapter from a supplier.It is important to hook up the high side not to over-charge,even if you are charging by sight glass.I am embarrased to say I changed two compressors, the second with a second opinion.We where both fooled because i found out later that someone took the orifice out.Some have tx valves.I then decided to go to 134-a.I changed the oil (very important)My ac works very well to this date.Wally

Thank you Wally,you da man.When you added/replaced the freon which fittings were on your gauges,the r-12,134a,or is there a new coupling for the 400 series?
Gary you are correct,mine is a 160hp,at542,Dana 80 pusher.And I am still looking for an early 2000 series Allison for a changeover.

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post