Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

UH Oh!
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
I don't want to get off the subject and I know we stay away from politics but this will be the headline in tomorrows Wall Street Journal.

IBM AGREED TO SELL its PC business to Chinese rival Lenovo for $1.25 billion in cash and stock.

Who ever thought that would happen...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see AOL is firing a batch of employees to cut costs -- AOL subscribers are jumping ship by the millions. No wonder, as nasty as they are to deal with. I got 6 months free AOL when I bought my home computer; their e-mail was full of bells and whistles I don't need. You need a masters degree to handle their e-mails. I decided I didn't want to pay $25 a month for a load of stuff I didn't use and discontinued AOL; went to cheaper and simpler juno. AOL is nasty, tried to sell me something else, wouldn't give me a fax number to fax my correspondence. Very uncooperative. Anybody using AOL, be forewarned.

------------------
Bev

Posts: 25 | Location: Prince Frederick, MD, USA | Member Since: 08-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BevBarth:
I see AOL is firing a batch of employees to cut costs -- AOL subscribers are jumping ship by the millions. No wonder, as nasty as they are to deal with. I got 6 months free AOL when I bought my home computer; their e-mail was full of bells and whistles I don't need. You need a masters degree to handle their e-mails. I decided I didn't want to pay $25 a month for a load of stuff I didn't use and discontinued AOL; went to cheaper and simpler juno. AOL is nasty, tried to sell me something else, wouldn't give me a fax number to fax my correspondence. Very uncooperative. Anybody using AOL, be forewarned.

Amen to that. Many of my relatives are on AOL, and I DIE when I am visiting and get online.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I agree Bev, most people do not need a front end like AOL. If you are a dial up internet user just get the cheapest isp that will let you get on when ever you want to and with a local number and just use Internet Explorer. I never liked AOL because the windows plus the typeface was too small. Sometimes I had to squint to see something.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, our current Government, to finance the huge and out-of-control defecit, is selling bonds to the Chineese (and, to be fair, other asians) to the tune of a MILLION DOLLARS A MINUTE. Ponder that one, folks...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
You can find little in American stores that isn't made in China, and there's a Dollar Store in almost every shopping center, most of which are operated and managed by native Chinese.

We buy cheap Chinese products, they earn the profits, buy our real estate & businesses, and from surplus profits they lend our government money to pay its bills, so we don't have to pay the taxes that represent the true cost of government.
Sounds like bad economics, but they call it fiscal responsibility. Really?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roy is right..... Our country has been sold a bill of goods in the last four years. If you really care about our future don't buy that Chineese Dell crap, and especially stay away from Wall Mart!
Cheers, John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It is really hard not to buy Chinese. For years, I avoided Chinese junk for quality reasons. Now, I have political and economic reasons as well.

I just bought a Minolta camera, and, of course, researched it on the web. A picture of the underside clearly showed, "made in Japan" on the underside. That clinched it.

But when the camera arrived, it was, you guessed it, made in China.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read something about General Motors investing unpteen billion $ in new assembly plants in 05. NONE of it in North America. A billion or two in China, to build Cadillacs no less. The first time Cadillac will assemble cars outside of the USA!
My father worked for GM for 49 years. Started when he was 15, back in the days when they made cars out of wood! He'd be amazed.
REgards,
Don
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
I don't want to get off the subject and I know we stay away from politics but this will be the headline in tomorrows Wall Street Journal.

[b]IBM AGREED TO SELL its PC business to Chinese rival Lenovo for $1.25 billion in cash and stock.

Who ever thought that would happen...

[/B]

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Nice to see that the intelligence that brought us together as Barth owners carries over to our understanding of world politics. I'm one of the younger scribes at the site and I can only hope this overloaded spiderweb that serves as our current government holds up long enough for Suzy and I to enjoy a little of our golden years. Meanwhile, we'll get out and enjoy the day as often as possible.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post