Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

24 ft with raised roof 1978
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I just bought a barth and am just learning about them,I am sure of 26,000 miles on this camper but title says past mechinal limit,why do they do this to older campers?
I have no idea the value of this camper but can tell it was built with high qulity,every thing works great and cabinets clear to almost 8 ft. ceiling .has new michelin tires and two air conditioners

------------------

Posts: 2 | Location: salineville,ohio,u.s.a. | Member Since: 08-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Sound pretty cool. Welcome to the Barth family. With the ceilings that high, do you think perhaps this couch could have been a commercial vehicle coverted to a motorhome. I have seen bookmobiles which appear to have high ceilings.

If you can, email me come pictures and I will put them up so all can see.

Once again, welcome...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I bought my 1991, 33' 460 Oshkosh Barth for $500.00 with 24,001 miles on it. For the agency to get rid of it they stated it was past mechanical (124,001 miles) limits to get it off of their books.

They could not keep it on the road because the repair shop couldn't track down some minor wiring problems, and the people that drove it really didn't care enough to do the small stuff like add washer fluid or change a light bulb. Their parts department at the dealership liked to order parts based upon part numbers and because Barth is out of business every time they needed a part it was a major hassle for them. It was always in the shop and when you are talking about a foundation with donations coming in their idea was to just buy a new mobile medical lab.

I was happy to give them a donation for their Barth; it came with 2 roof a/c units and 2 generators. They were happy to get a donation as they were trying to find someone to pay to junk it. The dealership was happy to see me take it because they NEVER wanted to work on it again. I figure that if all parties are happy in a deal then it was a fair deal.

It was used in the inner city as a flu, vaccine, safe sex, Aids prevention and community outreach rig. All the items that did not work that I wound up keeping only needed minor repairs. Of course the toilet in the "Barthroom" was the first thing that went.

My Barth took a little over a year to redo and did its first voyage for me this past weekend at Pocono raceway. It ran great and was able to keep up with the $300,000 rigs. It sleeps 5 and I made a spring loaded pull down bed for over the driver and passengers seats. The body is in fair shape after replacing 2 rear quarter panels but otherwise is now in very good shape.

I hope you enjoy your Barth as much as I do.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post