Forums    General Discussions    Fires--What to Do and How to Prevent?
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fires--What to Do and How to Prevent?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There is usually a flexible line between the suction line to the fuel tank and the fuel pump, because, as noted above, something has to compensate for the engine vibration. That line is subject to suction only. Nevertheless, replacing it with a premium line is essential, because if it fails, while the engine might quit, fuel can be siphoned out of the tank, since fuel pumps are mounted low on the engine.

The Ford 460 wouldn't have had a (Rochester) Quadrajet (GM only, as far as I know) - probably a Carter (more Chrysler) or Holley.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Does anyone know of a little trap door that would do the job and save me the task of making one?

Bill h: Why wouldn't an aviation-type trap door from your local airport mechanic work? We used to replace them quite frequently for new paint jobs and other damage repair. The Piper line might be a little more secure than the Cessna top-of-the-wing fuel covers.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
Addressing the earlier question first: The most susceptible line for rot and damage is the connection from the steel line between the fuel tank where it terminates in the right front wheel well area. This short suction line must be flexible to cope with the engine vibration. It connects the steel line to the suction side of the mechanical fuel pump.

Anyone else remember when these lines were braided lines with B nuts on each end? Seems like they went backward.

quote:
IF you have, or someone else has, added an in-line electric pump between the tank and the mechanical pump inlet they have converted a suction line to a pressure line, and GM did not intend that to be done. Thus a weakness has been introduced.

Barth built mine that way.

quote:
the Q Jet inlet has aluminum threads and is very weak. To counter that some mechanics use teflon or pipe dope

Those threads are quite prone to seizure. To prevent seizure,I use a little Silver Goop on them. It is not cheap, but a tube lasts a lifetime, and it is worth the price to avoid the Qjet inlet follies. If you do strip one, there is an oversize, self-tapping replacement available that could save your carb.

Totally agree on the teflon tape being bad for fuel lines. It can stick the float needle open and run rich or flood.

quote:
Because the fire started while the engine was running it is likely the outlet pressure connection from the mechanical pump was squirting fuel onto the exhaust manifold and it ignited and as long as the engine continued to run the pump was delivering fuel to the fire.

Good point.............Makes me think there should be a high temp fuel pump shutoff. Some cars have an impact sensor that shuts off the electric fuel pump. Barth wired mine up without even a low oil pressure cutoff.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lou:
Why wouldn't an aviation-type trap door from your local airport mechanic work? We used to replace them quite frequently for new paint jobs and other damage repair. The Piper line might be a little more secure than the Cessna top-of-the-wing fuel covers.

My mind is drawing a blank, here.

I have only worked on old Pipers, Commanches and earlier.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Re: Clamps. www.clamptool.com I bought one for myself, one for a brother-inlaw and have taken 4 other people to watch a live demo of it at the Az. Marketplace in Yuma. All four bought one. Re: Fire extinguishers. I have four different size coldfire units in the bus along with 8 paint can sized units in the bus and my cars. I bought these over the last several years from Jim Shepard who has become a friend of ours. I also bought my tire pressure system from him and he also has a fire suppression system that would have probably saved the Barth. His website is www.rvsafetysystems.com if anybody is interested. Tell him Ed in Yuma told you about him. Maybe i will get a discount on a refill bottle of coldfire. Big Grin Seriously though he is a very nice and honest guy to deal with and i would not hesitate to do business with him or reccomend him to anyone. His products have given me a greater peace of mind concerning fires and blowouts.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
for bill h: I wasn't very explicit, so let me try again...

I'm thinking that the cowling trap door, say on a Piper Arrow or a Cherokee Six, where you reach in and check engine oil, would do what you want. It's a 5-6" long x 3.5-4" wide hinged, flat door with rounded edges on the opening side that is embedded in the fiberglass cowling. In the middle of the door is a spring-loaded round button that you depress in order to get the door to pop back at you. The door stays nicely out of the way 'til your work is done, and then you close the door and it snaps back into place and is firmly closed 'til next time. Not at all sure this is what you're after but it's what I pictured when I read your post. I remember having one in stock but it sold with everything else when I sold the business. I'm sure I could find one if you think it might work.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
For bill h: Here's a picture I found on the 'Net:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\Barth\Cowling cover.jpg[/IMG]

posted Hide Post
Just returned from talking to my mechanic here in WV. He has been a Ford mechanic for many years and said that was sure the 460 cid that was in my Barth was one of the engines in Ford's major recall, because of ambulances catching on fire. He said that all ambulances, RVs, step vans and the like with the "dog house" were recalled, replacing fuel pump, all lines, regulators etc. He said the ambulances would catch on fire just sitting idling. Do not know if my coach was recalled or repaired. Since it was on a JD chassis, the SN would not do any good calling Ford. Do not know if an engine SN would do any good or not. Just something to consider. This is a very interesting thread. Seems to have made everyone aware of what can happen. Thanks again.

Posts: 24 | Location: Summersville, WV 26651 | Member Since: 02-11-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
You know, I must be brain dead. I very clearly remember the recall. I lived in Charlotte them and one of the emergency vehicles caught on fire and an EMT was killed. Please, all you folks with 460's, call Ford, (while they're still in business).

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know of a little trap door that would do the job and save me the task of making one?

Bill,

Have you considered one of the 'gates' that are used in shop vacuum systems? I believe I've seen metal ones with both 2" and 4" diameter holes. Most folks use the plastic versions or make their own as I do.

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Relative:

Bill,

Have you considered one of the 'gates' that are used in shop vacuum systems? I believe I've seen metal ones with both 2" and 4" diameter holes. Most folks use the plastic versions or make their own as I do.

Mike

Thanks, Mike, I'll Google that. 2 inches might be a little large for the space I am envisioning using. The living room floor steps up just a little bit to the cockpit, leaving me what might be just enough room for a small door for the hose end nozzle on my 2 1/2 gallon Cold Fire.

Does anyone here know anything about the aspirator nozzles I see on some AFFF extinguishers? Or a source of information?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Hey Shadow
The Clamp Tool looks interesting. Have you used it on fuel lines? Do you think it would work better than regular hose clamps?
JIm

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post