Tools
Reply To This Topic

Amarillo Texas
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted
Anyone ever been to Amarillo, TX...What kind of place is it..Summer temps?

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Been through there, never stopped, can't remember anything. Do a Yahoo weather search for Amarillo, TX, go to extended forecast, & click the average temperature box for an idea of annual averages by month. It's almost due East of Albuquerque, NM which is dry, hot in summer, chilly in winter, but nothing like MN.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"...Amarillo, TX...What kind of place is it..Summer temps?"

The only thing wrong with Amarillo: it is 440 miles Northwest of where Dave belongs - Austin, what used to be "the Hippie capital of Texas" and whose official slogan now is (Honest - it's official) "Help Keep Austin Weird!"

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
In about 3 months I is leaving Minnesota. Taking the Barthmobile and hitting the road. I was going to Yuma but have been told that even with two airs at 120 the coach will never get below 90. Don't wanna go east too much humidity in the summer. I did some research and Amarillo looks really interesting for a couple months. They have a nice RV Park, Amarillo Ranch, indoor pool all the trimmings right on Route 66 for $260 a month. They have at least 40 bars with open mic nights all country.

Definatly want to hit Austin, I would love to hit a Billy Joe Shaver concert at some honky tonk. coool man...

Plan is to lose about 50 lbs, get healthy and have fun...

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I was driving a '72 142 Volvo from New Mexico to North Carolina. I had to stop in Amarillo for repairs and spent two nights there. Went out to the sculpture on route 66 that has a bunch of cars stuck in the ground, and spent a half a day at the little grand canyon of Texas. My impression of the area was that it was flat and sprawling, but a good bit of Texas is. There a famous steakhouse that will give you the steak for free if you eat all of it. I think it's 72 ounces, not exactly conducive to losing 50 pounds. Maybe the chamber of commerce would be a good source of info. I was there in late September and it was in the 80's.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Amarillo - Feed Lot capital of Texas ( and the U.S.), located in what is called the High Plains. Days are generally clear and sunny with mild winds. Humidity is very low and the city works to make everything very green. The Top of Texas Staek House on I-40 does give you a 72 oz steak free if you can eat one. The steak is tough and generally from the nearby feed lots - at any time there is said to be 10 million head of cattle being fattened for market. Whatever you do do not camp anywhere near one - the lots - you won't like the odor.
The nights are cool and the sunsets are spectacular. Daytime heat may reach 100 but generally only in late July to mid September. The city is also located in the Permian Basin which means oil and gas. Major industry is agriculture with Oil & Gas second. It is a few hours trip to Lubbock and many old indian and historic sites, but the land is flat and easy with light traffic. Those who move there love it and I suggest you go - you'll enjoy the scenery, the people and the culture.
Tom - from Houston, Austin, Arlington, Dallas and Texarkana.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
It looks to me like a place where the weather is not overbearing, there is culture, even a symphony orchestra and a great looking rv park, Amarillo Ranch with swimming pool work-out room etc. And, only two days from here.

I am also guessing that the country music there is great.

1st month member
posted Hide Post
If you make your way to the Austin area and want to see some of the most beautiful part of Texas, go south about 35 miles and camp on the Guadalupe River at Camp Huaco (prounounced Waco) Springs. This is near New Braunfels and Gruene Hall(oldest dancehall in Texas).

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Chevalier:
If you make your way to the Austin area and want to see some of the most beautiful part of Texas,

I will totally agree on that. Spent some time near Temple, worked at AUS and have family in Ingram. BBQ heaven! Love both the Colorado and Guadelupe rivers.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post