Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Barth Owner
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello Barth lovers ! I have just purchased my first motorhome and it is a 1976 24' Barth with 454 cid. I must say it is in need of ...well...where do I start ! All I can say is driving it home from Alberta to British Columbia Canada sold me on it. Drives and rides like a Lincoln ! Unfortunately it need some rust repair where all these tubular bars run along the bottom. Windshields are broke and entire thing needs redone. I will check in now and then to ask questions along the way as I fix her up. Even though it looks like its too far gone I can't help but have this interest to restore it. Any good info on this unit would be much appreciated. Windshields are $250.00 each what seems like a good price but where can I get the rubber for it ?

Thank God for this site hey ? Kelly

Posts: 7 | Location: Invermere, BC Canada | Member Since: 07-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I get to be the first to welcome you Kelly. Congrats on owning a Barth, and you've definately come to the right site when it comes to info regarding anything to do with Barth. One thing I've recently learned is that before you just throw out a question and wait for an answer, you can search the endless archives and find most anything regarding Barths. I will let our fearless leader Dave guide you through that process and welcome you as well.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome also. I did what you did and bought a 1976 Barth that had been used as a mobile lab. I found the windows in Eugene oregon for 270 USD and I think that they can provide the gaskets. none of my local people want to install the glass, so it looks as if I will need to go to Eugene with the rig. Scroll through the postings for Garth=Barth for my intorduction to the Barth Family.
Papa Don

Posts: 14 | Location: Portland, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 04-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
And a hardy welcome also from the "hot as heck" tundra of Minnesota.

It is great to have another Canadian. It is remarkable how many Barths are in Canada. Here's to great adventures and that this website can be a place of camaraderie and assistance.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted Hide Post
Kelly Welcome to the group... As suggested search the archives as they will answer most questions and keep you reading way longer than youo want to ..There is so much info there it is scary... Enjoy your new purchase I am a first time RV owner as well..and learn everyday...

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio
If you see this... You found me

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the welcome. I am excited about this project. Yes there is much info here and I love it when I can look at other Barths on this site for new ideas. It is weird that alot of people look at me with that deer in the head light look when I say I have a Barth. People seem to forget these rigs and yet I am only 36...I remember looking up at one in our rv park at the age of 5 years old thinking " I want one of these some day " ! Well, my dream came true....only I didn't think it would be quite the fixer upper it is today . It is fuuny will I work on it in the rv park that I live in....people walking by can't help but smile and stop and look at the rig...it has become the talk of the park cuase every time they see it it looks a little better.
Thank you, Kelly (Canada)

Posts: 7 | Location: Invermere, BC Canada | Member Since: 07-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new Barth. Just hope that you will take pictures as you go through your restoration process AND share them with this group on occasion. Good luck on your project.

Posts: 16 | Location: Durant, Ms, USA | Member Since: 06-02-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Hey Papa Don

If you find a place that sells windshield gaskets please let me know

Charles

Posts: 63 | Location: Winona Lake, IN | Member Since: 04-18-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Hey Charles,
J.C. Whitney shows sevewral varieties in their catalog. Don't know if any would fit on the Bartth, but it's a place to start looking.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
HI kelly and welcome !!! so nice to have another Barth. Wgere are you in BC? I live in Seattle, I too am working on my Barth I have a 1975 class C and love it!Oh please post pictures!!! welcome again Donna

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Donna
How about some pics from you. It may work well for my 76 'rebuild'
Papa Don

Posts: 14 | Location: Portland, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 04-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I will post what I find out about windshield seals and thanks again for the welcomes. Donna...I live in Invermere BC...have you heard of Panorama Ski Resort, Radium Hot Springs or Fairmont Hot Springs ? I am located just between them. I've been to Seatle too and I like it there...nice climate ! Love the humidity. Would like to see what a class "C" looks like in Barth too. Kind of a unique bird aren't they ? I'll check out the J.C. Whitney too Olroy..thank you.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Kelly,
There was some talk on new windows & rubber. Look at July 8 Tech Talk on topic "noisy windows". We were fortunate to have bought an 85 that had all the windows & rubber replaced. The company that was used is noted on the responses to the above topic.

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a small code in the corner of the windshield. When I called to inquire cost,they referanced this number and quoted about $250 each. That was installed, provided I helped one installer, instead of them dispatching two. I feel they could provide a generic gasket, how close that is to OEM I do not know.

Posts: 31 | Location: crestline,ohio | Member Since: 02-27-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post