Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

PC based GPS Systems
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I want to purchase a GPS system to mount on the dash that is PC based so I have a large screen dislay and voice instruction versus the small screen of the palm sized hardware. Does anyone have suggestions/experience to suggest to me? What to look at, where to buy, what to expect to pay, etc... Thanks for any assist. JJ

Posts: 6 | Location: Marion, Iowa USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
You'll never regret the convenience of a PC-based system displayed thru a laptop.....
A good intro from Microsoft is at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/expert/ballew_03may27.mspx

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi JJ,

Hope you are well and full of Turkey. If not I'll mail you some we have plenty.

We have the old style Delorme Earthmate and are totally satisfied with it. It has saved us a few times. We did a trip around Lake Superior and came out on the Michigan side on the 4th of July at night in a rain storm. You all know about the weaknesses of Barth head lights and I can tell you I was almost running blind. We were going Mackinaw City Campground and it led us straight to the front door. Now we have an older Sony Vaio lap top so the voice sounds really cheesy but it worked big time.

My wife Deb did a seminar on GPS at the rally we did last year. I have emailed you the tech sheet we created on the Delorme. Now, the new Earthmate is much more sensitive than ours, is smaller and plug and plays in your USB. The maps are more detailed than ever with more info than you will ever need. If you are traveling in the mountainous terrain of this great country. You will enjoy the topographical overlays. Good to know when you have a 6% grade up or down just ahead.

The only negatives are that the PC will tell you your speed down to the .01 mile and your wife will tell you that about every 5 minutes. "You are going .004 of a mile per hour over the speed limit". You can tell your elevation down to the foot. And, yup you'll hear about that too. So sometimes you can get too much info for sure. You can also become hypnotized looking at that dumb screen. But even with the negatives it is great technology.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ yrs of active membership"
posted Hide Post
Eh? I don't know about the weakness of Barth headlights. Tell me more! And would the new $$ halogen bulbs that everyone tries to sell us, actually help? Happy Turkey Day!

Posts: 34 | Location: Michigan, USA | Member Since: 08-10-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Maureen,

It may just be my 56 year old eyes. Sometimes I think they just aren't bright enough. Some have said that they are too high. Now I have replaced my amber fog lights with clear driving lights and they make somewhat of a differenct. But it still isn't like driving my Sienna.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
"... You all know about the weaknesses of Barth headlights"....

Dave, Maybe it's related to:

1. Newspapers going to smaller print,
2. Grocery bags getting heavier,
3. Child-proof caps getting more difficult,
4. The basement stairs getting steeper,
5. The walk around the block getting longer,
6. The shoes getting harder to tie,
7. The number of pills multiplying.....

I seem to notice the weaker headlights too...usually around my birthday

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Lee, you been noticing those things also. The thing I don't understand is that I get more excited when I see a nice motorhome than a beautiful woman. That....really bothers me.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I think that the excitement only comes when there possibility acquiring the desired entity.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:
The thing I don't understand is that I get more excited when I see a nice motorhome than a beautiful woman. That....really bothers me.

Dave, You're doing fine.

It's OK to lust after another motor home as long as it's a Barth.

It's not OK to lust after another woman.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using GPS for travel navigation for a few years now. I use a handheld eMap from Garmin with MapSource software to load maps specific to my trips. The eMap was invaluable on a trip to england - it actually assisted in negotiating the round-abouts. As far as RV use is concerned I have both the new and old Earthmate units. The new little one is powered by the laptop's USP port where the older, larger one used AA batteries.

I would suggest that the best way to use onboard navigation with laptop and GPS receiver is to have the screen visible by both the driver and "navigator". This way the driver does not have to deal with divided attention. If the driver has to be the sole operator of the system, then use the mouse on your right leg to zoom and track the route. It's easy to do without looking down at the mouse, and if you have your laptop display in front of you, off to the right side, you should be able to go just about anywhere.
You will have to deal with the electrical supply for the laptop, too. I use a 12v DC to 120v AC converter to power the laptop. You may have an inverter so this won't be necessary.
Remember that the mapmakers have never actually driven or seen the roads you will be driving. The programs will route you to go onto a one way street the wrong way, but anyone with common sense can get around these easily. The other problem is with new roadways and streets. Where I live in central Ohio there are many, many new developments and roads that are not on the computer map. Again, common sense and the compass function of the GPS will help. You could actually stop and ask for directions!

Microsoft MapPoint and Microsoft Streets and Trips are virtually identical, except for a very significant price difference. I have both programs and like the MS Streets & Trips as a basic navigation program - it works very well. Right now it might be possible to get two rebates with Streets & Trips, reducing the price to around $15!

Posts: 8 | Location: Ostrander, Ohio USA | Member Since: 11-07-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post