Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

FMCA membership
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Should we join it, also is the towing worth the price they charg? I have been camping for 35 years with a camper or motor home an only one flat tire in canada I fix myself, but I am getting older. thanks James

Posts: 29 | Location: Alton Mo. | Member Since: 05-16-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
We have been FMCA members for a long time. My personal opinion it that FMCA has become a total elitist organization. If you read the magazine, about the only coaches they advertize or even talk about are $500K up.

FMCA has many chartered groups. The Barth Rangers is one. There used to be some advantage because they provided some insurance for rallies, they also provided a free membership in one of these companies which would take care of you if you got sick far from home. They would even make sure that your coach and spouse got home OK and at little of any cost. They have ended all of these advantages including the rally insurance.

If you like looking at the big beautiful coaches, you can get their magazine at B Daltons.

We belong only because you can get Coach-Net roadside service. I know that others have had positive comments on other emergency road services. However, if you do a side by side comparison, no others even come close to Coach Net in what they supply and what they cover.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to be an FMCA member but since I only RV part-time (in contrast to full time) I could find no use for it. They do have rallys and some services that I never used. Some associtions require FMCA mambership in order for you to participate in the association events but I understand FMCA has quit their umbrella coverage for the associations. Some camp grounds offer discounts for FMCA but they also offer the same discount for Good Sam. I seldom pay full price at a private camp ground --- there is always some kind of discount beside FMCA.

RE: Towing coverage---I have RV Roadhelp (Allstate), about $80/year and they have been very helpful. Many other towing services are available which I am sure are just as good. I would not be without it.

Bottom line --- FMCA offers me nothing that is not available elsewhere.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ yrs of active membership"
posted Hide Post
Love the phrase, and it fits, "a total elitist organization." IMHO many of them have never actually been camping. But the mail service has a good reputation, and I enjoy reading the magazine. The rallies are good, and it is really fun to talk to people who think they are too good to talk to you. LOL If I could only join one group, (besides this great Barth group!) it would be the Escapees instead of FMCA. You will get a hug from them, and swap stories, even at an FMCA rally. (and they know not to wear frilly white clothes in the rain, walking on slick red Georgia clay at rallies.) Different benefits tho.

Posts: 34 | Location: Michigan, USA | Member Since: 08-10-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
FMCA is what you make of it. If you have a negative out look, you shouldn't join. There are plenty of converted school buses,Greyhounds, etc. The rallys that I have attended were fun, the people friendly, and plenty of experienced motorhomers, Don Scalzo F2437

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post