Forums    General Discussions    How Common?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How Common?
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
How common is it for you to have motoraid coach heaters or water heaters.

And has anyone installed one of these

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
My 89 Regal has both the motoraid coach heating system and the motoraid assisted water heating.
I have REMOVED the 'add on' 110vac water heater accessory, I felt that it was just not worth the bother to fool with, and many places I go to, want extra money for electric use of either air conditioning or water heating.
I have recently added an Olympian Wave 6 catalytic heating unit to my coach to allow me to heat with out using any battery power. Makes me feel as though I have a fireplace in my coach now, a nice warm feeling on a cold New England evening. I also installed a CO detector, although not for the Wave heater which produces no CO.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Which wall did you put the catalytic heater on.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
The Heater was installed on the wall in the kitchen area on the backside of the shower/bath wall. The wall beside the stove has a space in it for vent lines and I ran the gas into that area and then T’d off the gas line to the stove.
I also installed a “Extenda-Stay” and bought a 100# Propane tank which should give me about a month at low heat, which should be just fine.

Picture of Olympic Wave 6 installed on wall in kitchen

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Unvented catalytic heaters I have used in the past, produced copious amounts of water vapor - enough for water to run down the inside of the windows. This is something to watch out for & to compensate for.

My '90 Regal has motor aided heat for the hwh, and also the rear bedroom/bath.

My s.o.b. had the "hot rod" electric heater in the hwh, but I didn't think to turn the switch off when I winterized the coach. I plugged in the shore power on a dry hwh tank, and the element burned out. I never replaced it. It worked well, but was one more thing to remember.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited November 08, 2004).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in the catalytic heater, I'm building a 'toy hauler" for my daughter and she wanted to install a Pro Com 15000 btu in it. I told her I wasn't sure that it would be safe. They only have one roof vent and I worried about enough air. I'd appreciateany infro. available. The trailer is only 14ft. I got the cabinets and the foldup beds in and ready for heat

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
When I started thinking of the electric power use, and noise that the two built in furnaces provide, I decided to investigate these catalytic heaters. I choose a 6000 btu unit which is about half what would be required for my coach, and planned to add an other one if this worked out well, but was lacking in heating ability. I also understood that these heaters consume Oxygen and needs to have an air supply. I installed it under my ‘Kool-O-Matic’ roof vent (visible in picture) which I leave half open and I leave the dash vents open so I get my fresh air, and it seems to allow the excess moisture to escape out the roof vent. So far so good, not hot, but as said on “NPR’s” “PHC”, “not that bad”. It’s been in the mid to low 20’s and no moisture problems yet. Winterized water system yesterday, will take for a ride shortly to get gas and propane topped off, and get my ‘Stabil’ mixed up well in the fuel system. I’ll then dump, and change engine oil and filter, and move into the house till spring. I’m having RV travel withdrawal. I moved into this Barth in mid May, and now out in Mid November. Its been only six months, but did get lots of travel done, met lots of people, saw lots of places, and loved every minute of it, so did Zack. Now to get my son back safely from his travels with the 1st Expeditionary force visiting in Iraq, then I will really be happy.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Jack, best wishes for your son. My oldest recently returned from chasing Bin Ladin in Afghanistan. I am VERY relieved now.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts.
Talk about thread drift.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Jack it is never thread drift to talk about our boy and girls serving. My son is a combat meteorologist with the Air Force Reserve and is expecting to get his orders to go in a few months. We'll pray for all of them...He just spent his 2 weeks in Alaska training.

------------------