Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

purchasing a 91 28' breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Headed out to look at a 1991 28' breakaway.
It has the standard 160hp 5.9 and 4 speed allison.
I'm told it is in "like new" original condition.
So no mods done.
Have been checking the net and many opinions about this set up. Can someone who has one let me know what pros and cons of this unit are and things I should be taking a careful look at. I don't tow anything but I do head thru the mountains on the way to Baja. I will also be mounting a 400lb motorcycle on it so if any of you have expertise any advice will be welcome.

thanks

Posts: 7 | Location: canada | Member Since: 05-08-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Due to the short wheelbase, I'd advise against anything that heavy on a hitch platform.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Could it be mounted up front?

I used to use a carrier that mounted on the hitch tongue and had a cradle the held the front wheel. The rear wheel rested on the ground and followed along. It needed a strap from each side of the forks or bars to the bumper. Backing was a no go, and sharp turns required an observer. I rigged a clamp to prevent the shift lever from leaving neutral from a bump.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
If the front axle will handle the added weight mounting up front on a DP would probably help handling. With no radiator to block up there I think it would be the better location. Also makes it easy to keep an eye on it.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking mounting it off the front would make the most sense. So the 160hp will be enough to get me over the mountains without to much frustration? I don't mind slow but I hate overheating! thanks for the input!

Posts: 7 | Location: canada | Member Since: 05-08-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I have a 28' '03 Breakaway for sale but mine is 190 HP. I've driven it from Denver to Knoxville TN. Also have driven a 30' Breakaway with 210 HP from Florida to TN. Based on that experience, I would not be satisfied with the 160 HP version. As I understand it, the 160HP version does not have a turbo. Look up the torque curves. Also, the 160 HP version will not have the resale value that either the 190HP or 210HP versions do. I completely agree with Rusty. A friend puts his motorcycle inside the Breakaway. Might be interesting in an accident. I certainly wouldn't buy the 160HP version without driving one of the others first.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in hearing about what you have for sale, I'm in no hurry to buy but will need something by fall. I have no problem flying anywhere on the continent for the right rig.

posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

anyone have a checklist before I purchase a 1991 28' breakaway?

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

quote:
Originally posted by Gregg:
anyone have a checklist before I purchase a 1991 28' breakaway?

This is a lengthy checklist from the site archives: Thumbs Up

http://truckroadservice.com/ba...Buyers_Checklist.pdf

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5190 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent, thanks!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gregg:
I would be interested in hearing about what you have for sale, I'm in no hurry to buy but will need something by fall. I have no problem flying anywhere on the continent for the right rig.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/1753900087

The 1992 30' Breakaway I had was fitted with a much newer 190-hp 5.9 Cummins. It had the Bosch "P Pump" fuel pump with enough pressure and volume to be modified up to 230hp or more. I modified it slightly with a different throttle stop plate.
I went over mountains with it a number of times -- sometimes getting down to 25mph at full throttle before I'd crest the peak.
The early 160hp is normally aspirated (non-turbo) and is not easily bumped up much, particular engines with the earlier (weaker) fuel injection pumps.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the early 6BTs were turbocharged.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rusty about the turbo. Just detuned with smaller injectors. I do believe it had the rotory fuel injector pump and not the inline Bosch pump. Harder to soup up.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Greg, just ask the owner if his has a turbo or not. If he doesn't know what that is, ask him to take a picture of the engine compartment and send it to you. It should be pretty obvious if he has one.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Another way to tell is by the engine model:

6BTA5.9

6= # cylinders
B= Engine series
T= Turbo Charged
A= After cooler which cools the air before induction.
5.9 = Engine capacity in liters

My advice about buying a older unit is to pay attention to big ticket items like paint condition, roof coatings, serious leaks from engine or tranny and, of course, tires and brakes.

Inside most of the appliances are fixable or replaceable but they can be costly also. The A/C should work, the furnace should blow hot, the refer should be cold, etc. I doubt that the dash A/C-heater will be working well.

Good Luck
Don

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post