Forums    General Discussions    New here and Barths looking for a little direction!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New here and Barths looking for a little direction!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted Hide Post
Will do, Thank you very much Bill, SUPER web site you and Dave have here. I'm so happy I found it and all these great forum members!

I'm going to own a Barth land yacht!!! If not this one I'll get on a plane and fly southwest and drive home with one. After seeing that big gouge in our country!

Thanx again, Jeff aka wrat

I'm going to see that Grand Canyon......and I'm going to do it in style!

Posts: 52 | Location: Rockland Maine | Member Since: 07-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Would counting lug nuts tell us anything?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Wharf rat, thanks for the info on the picture. I always found Harry Miller and his engines fascinating. People out here who knew him said he was the smartest crazy man they ever knew. George Salih even compared him to Tesla, in terms of unrealized potential.

When Briggs Cunningham had a museum, there was a small collection of Miller cars there, and some of the staff there were absolute fountains of information. All expressed the thought that Miller was a genius who had far more great ideas than he could ever act on.

Frank Lockhart must've been quite a guy.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the coaches produced in that time frame was equipped with the Gillig chassis - so, based purely on the laws of probability, you probably have a Gillig.

It might be coach 8511-0063-36RDC

I agree it will Bill N Y that it might be that coach (owner: silverbuys). There is, however, the possibility the length is misstated (not a first here Big Grin) The data tag will dispel the doubts.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted Hide Post
Thanx Corey, That's what I thought too when 36' seemed to be a odd size from what I saw after first landing here. I hope that I don't jinx myself by looking for info on a rig I haven't seen and touched yet, is the member from Connecticut? That's where I have to go for a look.

Love those machines you own by the way...he who has the most toys...

Peace, Jeff

Posts: 52 | Location: Rockland Maine | Member Since: 07-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Wharf rat, thanks for the info on the picture. I always found Harry Miller and his engines fascinating.

Frank Lockhart must've been quite a guy.

Yes he was, I read a book on him years ago and that was it, he was my driving hero and engineering mentor. As I remember Harry wanted under the hood of Franks car realy bad when Frank started cleaning up Harrys own cars with a purchased Miller. He kept the inter cooler under wraps for a season at least before he was forced to let the cat out of the bag. I can't for the life of me find that book now. Look him up on the web though, there alot there. When all the other LSR cars were powered by aircraft engines and huge, Frank would have had the world if not for a clam shell in the sand.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Gillig produced chassis with the 8.2T back in the 80s. A friend had a Vogue on one.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I have a sheet from Spartan that came with our Barth that says the 8.2 DD, Cat 3208 and Cummins 8.3 were all available in their chassis.
Have never seen an 8.2 DD in a Spartan chassis Barth though, but with Barth you never know.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post