Reply To This Topic

Invitation to Chat Room
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Chat Room is open for 16 hours daily, from 3pm til 7am ~ 7 days a week.
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis H.:
Just curious, what is with the hours on that chat room? Did I miss something...
Yep... Just 16 hours daily.

I implemented a change awhile ago to "Boot People Off" who had accidentally forgotten to sign off from the night before. Sometimes I had people signed in to the chatroom for 2/3 days straight and they never said a word.

I figured that they had simply forgotten to close the window. Or, they just opened the screen up and kept it open so that they could read the transcripts... I felt, and so did a few others, that it wasn't fair to read other peoples chats if you weren't an active participant.

Also, for me to sign them out I had to "Forcibly Evict Them" and that came with a 24hr-No Return Penalty. I didn't want anyone to think I was riding "Ruff Shot" over them so I tightened up the hours to have the system shoot em out.

I can make another chat room available from 7am - 3pm if there is a need. Or, I can expand the hours that I already have it open. But, I've never seen anyone use it between those hours so I thought it was safe to turn it off.

Why? Did you try to use the chat room at 7am? Did you try to sign on before 3pm? Or, is it just the curiosity of it all. Big Grin

I try my best and I felt that this was a good balance. Did I strike out? Confused

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
I have no issues, I was just curious, I seem to ask a lot of questions. I agree, I'm sure the chat room has virtually no use before 3pm, and people definitely should not be reading others posts if they are not a part of the conversation. Enforcing "operating hours" of the chat room was a very smart way of getting around those issues Bill, I guess that is why we pay you the big bucks around here Big Grin.

I didn't know if I has missed something like Mary Ray staying up till 8am in the chat room or something like that triggered this change, but I guess not.

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry Bill. I sure wasn't saving transcripts. I know I am at least on of the slackers that failed to log out. Tin Foil Hat Club

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curtis H.:
I have no issues, I was just curious, I seem to ask a lot of questions.
Trust me, if you asked it, someone else thought about it already. Smiler

Keep asking questions - for all I know, you may be running things around here in a few years. Wink

Stranger things have been known to happen. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by jsloan:
I'm sorry Bill. I sure wasn't saving transcripts.
I wouldn't sweat it Jeff. java

Did I ban you for 24hrs? It wasn't intentional - I had no choice.

This is why I gave a really long answer - I figured if I booted someone, they should know why it happened like that. It was not my intentions either... Computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
How does one unintentionally stay on chat? If chat is gone from the screen, are you off chat? If you click on another tab without closing or exiting char are you off chat or not?

For that matter, if I click onto another tab without exiting Barthmobile or closing the tab, do I show up as being on the forum?

Chat newbie here.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
what exactly should happen when you click on chat room. I only get a buckskin colored screen with a brown edge and a blinking bar in the top left corner. It does not react to any keystrokes. Frowner

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I was never able to get into the chat room. Bill and I trouble-shot, but it appeared my corporate software might have blocked me.

To be honest, I don't get chatting anyway. I like posting to a forum as I can do it when I get a minute and come back to it later when I get another minute.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
How does one unintentionally stay on chat? If chat is gone from the screen, are you off chat? If you click on another tab without closing or exiting char are you off chat or not?
When you open up chat - you minimize it instead of closing it - that's how you stay on chat by mistake.
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
For that matter, if I click onto another tab without exiting Barthmobile or closing the tab, do I show up as being on the forum?
Nope - when you leave, you're gone - you do not need to "Sign Out" to leave.
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
what exactly should happen when you click on chat room. I only get a buckskin colored screen with a brown edge and a blinking bar in the top left corner. It does not react to any keystrokes. Frowner
You might want to get the newest version of Adobe Flash Player
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
I was never able to get into the chat room.
But we did get to talk to your wife. Thumbs Up

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
I have been guilty of staying in the "chat" room unintentionally before.... It's easy, you go to the fridge for a beer.... Then you sit on the couch fer a second because somthing on TV caught yor eye.... The next thing you know its tomorrow!!! LOL Bill, I would think one hour would be enough to clear out the room, thats how long it takes to mop the floors in some bars once a day.... LOL

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post