Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Suggestions on Edelbrock Carb
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted
Has anybody put on an Edelbrock Carb? If so, would you use the 1406 or 1407 on a 1984 model 454? What was your experience?

Ironically, I'm going to remove the aftermarket AirSensors fuel injection system on my coach. It's an orphan, aftermarket system that's they quit making in 1990. I'm a little concerned about being stuck away from home with a system that's gone dead. It runs well and I'm happy with it...I'm concerned about age and parts availability.

Anybody's thoughts are appreciated.

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Found this on the net

AiRSensors, Inc. Publications & History

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of edelbrock carbs. Though they may be more expensive, I like Holley's. Check eBay Motors for carbs. Usually pretty good deals can be had.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Edelbrock - 750 CFM
Q-jet - 870 CFM
Edelbrock - Square bore
Q-jet - Spread bore

Edelbrock is a Carter design. Parts are available.

I thought Holley has a newer design carb. But on the website, I only see the usual Holley carbs with fuel bowls on the front and back. Elsewhere in 'Barthmobile', someone wrote of warnings that with this design, the heat of the RV engine could induce premature bowl gasket failure. In other words, fuel would leak on to your hot engine, with a risk of fire.

Would you consider a different brand of EFI/TPI/TBI system?

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I put on an a new Edelbrock on my Ford 460 a few years ago and it finally ran well and got a little better fuel mileage. I had nothing but issues with the Holly's. And I am a Ford guy!

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I like Holleys on hot rods and rump-rump boats, but for street cars and RVs, I like Qjets.

The few Carters I have used were OK, but did not deliver as good a mileage or low rpm throttle response as a Qjet.

I tried a Holley spread bore (6619) and it never worked as well as the Qjet it replaced.

Holleys are easier to tune just right, though, particularly if you have cam or manifold puddling issues, etc.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill for the info...I had already found that info and that's why I was concerned!

It seems they quit making this system in 1990. From the website, I called a gentleman who rebuilds the units and services them...there are no new parts...he rebuilds the parts. He is truly knowledgable and reasonable but I'm concerned about being on vacation 1000 miles away and a mass airflow sensor goes out (that is 20 years old.)and I have to wait several days for parts. The system is pretty neat in that it is a throttle body system that you can fully adjust everything from inside the cab on the ECM.

I would feel better with an old fashion, bullet proof, serviceable system that myself or others could tinker with and get me back on the road....even though the mileage and torque might suffer.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I have dealt with carbs on cars, so I wondered what the scoop was across the net. From my highly analytical, thorough and precise polling of the resources available on "Encyclopedia Internet"; I have determined that they are both equally loved and hated.

What did seem to be a trend (and mimics Bill H's reply) is that Holleys are loved by the tweakers who want the most performance available, while Q-Jets - Caters - Edlebrocks -Demons are better loved by the bolt and play crew.

Other than my KTM, every vehicle I own is now fuel injected. One thing I do like about FI is the ability to withstand evaporation in the system. Perhaps I'm done with varnish for good!!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
I have a #1406 with an adapter plate on my 77 454 Budget Barth. It was pretty much bolt and play with the proper linkage kit. I think it works the best with a retrofit like you are talking about. I would have stayed with the Chester on mine if the original carb was still there when I got it. The previous owner replaced it with a cheap rebuilt unit that no one could get to work. One day I will invest in the proper intake manifold but for now it runs fine for the 3k miles I drive it a year.

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhhh, yes hmm the good 'ol Q-Jet... They are a great carb when they operate properly. It's just getting them to run properly that can be aggravating. I have all of the carbs named here on one thing or the other. I must be a good 'ol boy that has had much more success with Holleys' than any of the others. I did install my first Demon carb on my 440 Dart. I DO like that carb too! Most of my stuff still has carbs, though I like the fuel injection on the newer stuff I have. Just don't have that much new stuff....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced a holly proinjection on my 1987 with a Quickfuell technology street carb.780 cfmvs part#ss-780-vs price$525.00. put it on adjusted idle &drove it home.thay are vary helpful have called at#270-793-0900 & thay have answered quessend better then I can say for holly

Posts: 35 | Location: Southeast Kansas | Member Since: 10-07-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
My mechanic had the Summit catalog in the waiting area. And there I see the Holley 4010 carburetor I was thinking of. But now it seems that it has the Summit name on it.

This is a carb with no gaskets below the fuel level. So, no leaky bowl gaskets. Some other websites seem to indicate that Holley didn't have good sales from them. Looks like Summit bought the tooling.

http://www.summitracing.com/se...retors/?autoview=SKU
http://static.summitracing.com...sum-carb%20instr.pdf

This hot rodder site compares the Holley 4010 and the Summit carb part way down, apparently there was a bit more mechanical engineering work done on the Summit.
http://www.hotrodders.com/foru...wn-screw-180794.html
Go about 2/3 down to see the pictures.

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
We do a lot of carb specifying on various engines for our customers and we worked through the Q'jet on an SOB, P30 454 attached to a TH 400 tranny. Carbs were produced a wide variety of configurations by GM that had small but important variations in jet size, length and the metering rod lengths and location of the "step". If you find a real carb expert he will have a book that shows, by casting number and s/n the application for your engine. There are differences that show up in performqnce, particularly on idle and on acceleration. I use Z Carburetors in Pearland Texas and Bill NY may be able to find the older post and link it here. Do not just swap a carb! The differences are significant and I think a proper rebuild will be less money than any chinese copy of a street car GM carb.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Ck out these posts especially the notes from Lee re: Oscar Heritz pg 4 of first link below

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...7061/m/568104771/p/1

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...=100108872#100108872

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post