Tools
Reply To This Topic

The "Barth" of cars
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
After 252,000 miles, Tere and I are thinking of replacing our 96 Caprice. Problem is, we haven't been able to find any thing that will cruise like the Caprice, get 25mpg, carry 2 dogs and 4 grandbabies, for $10/$12 thousand. We've looked at Honda Odysseys (seat too hard), Toyota Siennas, (sludge problem in 3.0 engine}, Chevy Express van (can't get it into the garage--too tall), Buick LeSabre (too small}, Volkswagon Eurovan (poor fuel economy). Has anyone out there found the "Barth of automobiles" out there?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Barth of cars....I've had very good luck with a Grand Marquis and a Lincoln Town Car. Grand Marquis's a year or two old are available in that price range. They have large trunks and V-8's and run forever it seems and get 25+ on the highway. They also do very well in crash tests. I love the front engine/rear wheel drive, practically indestructable.
There's a reason that they are favored for taxi's and police cars......comfort, reliability and power with reasonable economy and plenty of room...plus they handle very well for their size.
My son had a Town Car that had 325,000 miles on the clock. I gave him my Marquis with only 175,000 on it to get a Town Car. They are both mechanically the same for the most part, but I do like the Town Car a little better...more pampering (LOL).
Now for the disclaimer, I'm a Ford Motor Co. retiree.
Whatever you decide...good luck.
Greg Hamilton

gregH

Posts: 6 | Location: burnsville, MN USA | Member Since: 07-10-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correction to previous post....Police and taxis generally use the Ford Crown Victoria not the Grand Marquis as I previously stated. They are of course twins as you probably know.
Greg Hamilton

gregH

Posts: 6 | Location: burnsville, MN USA | Member Since: 07-10-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'll go with the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, too. Had a '92 Grand Marquis. Great highway cruiser, quiet as a Rolls Royce, 30 mpg on the highway. They're in your price range when a year or two old.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Did your Caprice have an LT1 engine? That is my favorite engine. Our sedan is a Jag with a 95 LT1 in it.

If I were buying a sedan today with no engine swaps, I would look for a low mileage Caprice SS, Impala SS or a Buick Roadmaster LT1. I liike well-built old things. You might have better luck finding a low mileage Buick LT1, as more older folks owned Buicks and drove less. The 96 models have OBDII, which is a mixed blessing. Because of California's smog laws, an OBDI car is easier to smog, so I chose a 95 power train for my swap.

The Impala SS and Caprice SS are becoming collector items, so the prices are up there. However, as a result, there are some good ones out there.

Or a 55-56 Packard Patrician.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
I'll join the Crown Vic advocates.....

When we need to turn our assigned airport vehicles in to the Park Service for scheduled maintenance, our loaner cars are usually Crown Vic hand-me-downs from the Park Police Dept.
Most have rolled into 250k-300k mile bracket and they all seem to be going strong, albeit the trim, upholstery etc showing battle scars.
Drivetrains & suspension all feel like they're ready for more......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm also considering replacing my '94 Lexus LS 400 with a boxier car, and the Honda Element looks like a decent choice; if I move to the mountains, 4WD is a prerequisite, and the Honda has plenty of room for the two Goldens and other stuff for trips to the vet and so forth.

You might also find a Mazda MPV would work. My ex-wife has her second and is looking for a third. She has taken the middle seat out (it folds down), giving plenty of room.

Of course, the LS 400 is the "Barth" of cars, but I think there are others more suited.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Rusty, I forgot about the LS400. Really nice. Out here, the Asians like to customize their Rice Rockets, usually to excess, but now and then I see a really nice, subtly done 400. Makes me want one. I have never met an LS400 owner who is not super happy.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Bill, I'd love to have a Packard again. Indeed the 55-56 Patrician would be my choice. But my old '53 straight 8 Clipper never gave me more than 13 mpg, & that was on premium. Foolish me, I traded it for a new '60 Ford Fairlane that wallowed down the road like a drunken hippo. The Packard was like a rock as long as you were going straight ahead.

None of those real oldies, except maybe Chevvies or Fords would do for daily drivers. I still think the late model Fords, Mercs, & Lincolns are the best bet, & my money is on the Merc Grand Marquis

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
We were at a concours last weekend, and got to see quite a few Packards. My grandfather was a Packard man, and when he traded, my dad got the year-old one. Great old boats. (Loved the glove drawer) Except for the misbegotten Ultramatic. Frowner I always lusted for a Caribbean 400 convertible. I had it calculated that if I could talk my grandfather into buying one, we would get it just as I started to drive, and then a year or so later, I could talk my dad out of it. I was sure it would be such a chick-magnet that my future would be nothing but bliss. Smiler Lots of study-hall daydreams centered around that scenario.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My grandfather and uncle were also Packard guys - both had '36s - GF had a 6 cyl 4-door sedan; uncle had a rumble seat coupe. I rode with my grandmother and uncle from Atlantic City to Miami (three-day trip) when I was three - slept on the hat shelf.

I'm very pleased with the LS400 (I got it 4 years ago to replace my Mazda 929S my ex-wife borrowed and scorched the engine) - I just use it rarely anymore, and I'd like something towable like a Scion Xb.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
I too have a Lexus LS 400, 1991 model and have about 180,000 kms or 108,000 miles A few small dents and a little bit of rust signs on front wheel well. Best car ever! Service agent says customers stiil bringing back for service with 350,00 kms or 200,000 miles and engine and tranny having no problems,- just hoses and rubber parts wearing out. My preference would be another Lexus, but a SUV type- GS 350 or ???
But my Barth of Barths would be a 32'-34' Regency !

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote would go to the Chevrolet Impala LT.
I have driven a lot of GM cars, but I'm very
impressed the ride, the quietness, and the
handling of the 2006 Impala. My sister-in-law
recently purchased one, and I drove it for
about 50 miles. I have had 4 Cadillacs, and I would say that the 2006 Impala is as good as
any of the Cadillacs at a much lower price.

Jake Jacobson

Posts: 69 | Location: Harper Woods, MI, USA | Member Since: 05-06-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
We're looking at a 2002 Chevy Suburban with a 5.7 engine in it. EPA is 14/18. Any opinions?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
FWIW: I've owned several Suburbans over the years...always bought new..350's & 454's, 2&4WD, 1/2 & 3/4 ton. Never had a bad one, always dependable...Great for a growing family...pulling a popup or boat trailer was a non-issue....always felt secure that I would have the upper hand in most accidents....Didn't set any records in the mpg department, but I knew that going in.....

I'd still be driving one if GM hadn't priced me out of the market.....(Personal Rule: car payments should never exceed house payments Smiler

If you're gonna fill the third seat w/ pax a lot of the time, rear AC is a gotta-have.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post