Forums    General Discussions    And still another question, on security.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

And still another question, on security.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted
My Barth had a deadbolt; but I recently noticed one on ebay with bars on the windows. For major/full timers, both when the coach is occupied in 'strange territory' and unoccupied while flying somewhere else for a week due to family needs; I'm just curious as to what lengths people go? I have been in campgrounds and parks with the best human and other watchdogs nearby; but what of more remote areas and so on. Any experiences and lessons you can give me? thanks again.

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
There are instances of campground violence, but they are few and far between. You common sense and lock doors at night & when gone, and keep your wallet and other valuables with you whenever possible. That should suffice in the large majority of camping situations. I can't imagine what kind of location/circumstance that would require bars on motorhome windows!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
When we camp at Talledega we're in a gated area that's pretty well lit and patroled. I've had this discussion with guests that always want to deadbolt the door when turning in for the night. I don't feel any threat from outsiders, but I want the door to be accessible to rescuers, should the need evolve. Also, fumbling in the dark for the DB latch could be the split second difference in an emergency escape. Maybe I'm too trusting but in 14 years of Dega camping we've never had so much as a beer stolen from our site. The only time I'd lock myself in would be boonies or a WalMart parking lot.
The .32 right under my head gives me the warm fuzzies in strange territories.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I am the purchaser of the 89 Barth with bars on the windows. I frequently camp in the National Forest where there are plenty of bears. Know of one 5th wheel having the door pulled off. Maybe the bars will come in handy.

Posts: 24 | Location: Summersville, WV 26651 | Member Since: 02-11-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Bet a bear could destroy my 450 buck patio room in seconds! Gotta remember to leave NOTHING out there overnight.
[Self included]

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post