Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Iowa Camping
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/08
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted
Just wondering if any of our crew has camped in Iowa or live in Iowa. My wife and I just moved here and have'nt really found a nice by the water camping facility. Tooling Along

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Posts: 85 | Location: West Des Moines Iowa | Member Since: 10-06-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Where ya at in Iowa? I am betting by Okaboji there should be something. Minnesnowta has all a whole bunch. Of course all the State Campgrounds will close when the State Government shuts down. Holler if your coming up we can try and get together.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Try the Root River area just into Minn., Yellowstone State Park near Monroe Wis. or some of the Ill State parks on the river. All have water/lake/river.If you find one in Iowa,with some things that lots of folks would like to do . Offer up a GTG , its not something that only the oldtimers setup its for anyone to try. Go for it. All who wander are not lost. Smiler

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
About half an hour south of you is Indianola, home of the Nat'l Balloon Classic, one of the country's biggest hot air balloon events. This year it's July 29th - Aug 6th.......

FMI: http://www.nationalballoonclassic.com/default.aspx

While there, Lake Ahquabi State Park is a great place to bunk-over......

FMI: http://www.iowadnr.gov/parks/s...st/lake_ahquabi.html

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the info. We are in West Des Moines. Minnisoda sounds great. I need to find some new tennis shoes for the Barth (which I am struggling with) but would love to hook up with you guys if you don't mind dogs. Tooling Along

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Posts: 85 | Location: West Des Moines Iowa | Member Since: 10-06-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dana:
I am betting by Okaboji there should be something.

Yeah, it is very nice. The west side of Spirit Lake has a nice state park, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Sure
Go to Missouri
http://www.stateparks.com/lake_anita.html
Try Lake Anita in Iowa.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Dogs? The hot dog kind or the four legged ones? Big Grin

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to find some new tennis shoes for the Barth

I put Bridgestones on when I bought the Euro 8r-19.5s on 6" rims. Never had a bit of problem in any way, except maybe that they produce a little music on certain surfaces, but they track fine, hold air endlessly, and they look like brand new.
And no, I will not replace them based on age alone.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted Hide Post
Danny
Where the heck did ya find em? My data tag says 225/70R 19.5F (whatever the F means) but I am having a hell of a time finding any. As far as the dogs are concearned, in this economy both kind of dogs will be traveling with us. head bang

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cabinetguy:
Thanks to all for the info. We are in West Des Moines. Minnisoda sounds great. I need to find some new tennis shoes for the Barth (which I am struggling with) but would love to hook up with you guys if you don't mind dogs. Tooling Along

Good Luck on tires. I have 22.5 and had a terible time finding. Took me 4 weeks and found them 3 days before I picked up the coach. Beware of old tires out there. I found one set they wanted full price and they were 4 years old. They said don't worry they will have full warranty. What a crock!

I have some hard plans but come August things should free up for a Midwest GTG. Do you fish. I saw you were looking to be near water. What do you want to do for fun. There are a few more around like Tonka and some others who are also new owners that we would all benefit from comparisons, I can check out some different places. I went buy an RV and shooting park by Alexandria that I know I need to check out!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Lived in the Council Bluffs area many years ago.

Southwestern Iowa is pretty cool.

State Park system is very different from that of Minnesota and Wisconsin ...more of a self-serve, first-come/first-serve type of system. However, they do take reservations, as well.

Did kind of a Bridges of Madison County Tour last summer.

Camped at:

Clear Lake State Park
Winterset City Park
Pammel State Park
Green Valley State Park
Beeds Lake State Park

Was fun to see covered bridges that we actually drove across back in the 60's on family "vacations".

Have stayed at several City Park Campgrounds in Iowa as well.

Southeastern Minnesota is very nice, but I would have to say I like southwestern Wisconsin the best. Lots of places up and down the Mississippi River Valley.

Be certain to check ahead at anything in the Missouri River Valley due to flooding in southwestern Iowa.

I've stayed at a lot of places in the fore mentioned areas.

Most information found on the Internet, then just taking a stab in the dark and trying places out...

Check-out the West Bend Grotto. It too has a campground right next-door.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hinkeyville barth
posted Hide Post
we live in iowa. we loved camping at lake red rock. it is near knoxville. haven't been there in a few years, but it use to be one of our favorite spots. the resevoir runs into the des moines river.

http://www.redrockarea.com/events/lake-red-rock/

peggy.

Posts: 5 | Location: iowa | Member Since: 06-28-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cabinetguy
posted Hide Post
My wife and I,and our horseofadog Ace, went to Spring Lake in Jefferson this weekend and really enjoyed it. Right on the water, plenty of first come first serve hookups.Fifteen dollars a night,free dump,roller rink, beach with an ice cream shoppe,live bait(I caught nothing but a real small buzz). Five miles away for groceries. WE'll go back. cheers

1998 29' widebody
454 Chevy chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Hey Cabinet Guy...

There ya have-it!

Sometimes, that small-town stuff just seems to work.

I like the self-serve mentality and the price is always right.

Travel around the area and you will find similar experiences.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post