Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Newbie Question
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted
OK going over my new unit there are some broken lenses and outside lights which are not working (I am assuming they are burnt out).. where is the best place to get this kind of stuff...
Also I am doing the RV road coverage thing...What kinds of things are important to make sure they are covered... and what kinds of services are important..
And should I invest in a spare tire and carry it with me.. some people do and some don't...

It looks like we'll be making our maiden voyage in late March or early April... Nothing big just a weekend jaunt to a local show less than 100 miles away..But I am excited and looking forward to it..I guess I need to get my rear in gear and get learning how all this stuff works and how to use it..

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
You didn't specify WHICH lenses, so I will guess.

Clearance lights are pretty generic. I have seen copies at Pep Boys and of course, NAPA.

Headlights are generic sealed beams as well, replace them in pairs.

If you are going to invest in a spare, it is one more thing to maintain, and you need a spanner big enough to get the lugs off and retighten, as well as a jack substantial enough to get that bus up!

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
The only reason I have a spare tire is because my coach came with a cool continental kit. The tires you use are pretty easy to get. As far as road services are concerned. All have heard me here proclaim the wonders of Coach Net. You need to join the FMCA www.fmca.com to get it but I find they are the most rv friendly of the lot. That includes Good Sam.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
John,

If you decide to join CoachNet, check all their available promotions first.....When I joined, they offered a 25-33% discount for first-timers over and above the three year discount, but I had to ask for it from headquarters....Nice folks on the phone & emails.......

I can't comment on their response for road service....haven't had to use them yet
(& hope I never do.....)

Like Dave, I carry a spare only 'cause there's a mount for it ....but I'll let Coachnet folks manhandle it if I get into trouble. In the future, I'll carry a spare for the long hauls...For up-n-down the East Coast flatlands, always near civilization, the tire mount will be modified to carry a pair of restored Whizzer motorbikes. (130# net gain & a long mement arm, so I'll need to recalculate weight & balance)

Clearance lights: I spent about $150 total to replace lights & chrome guards with LED units...reduced amp draw a bunch and at a 100,000 hr life cycle, I figure I've ended my clearance light irritations forever.......
(And don't "assume" yours are burnt out - many times, improper grounding is the culprit) But incandescents will burn out, vibrate loose and oxidize at the contacts....LED's make all of this history...plus, I think they look kinda Kool!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I'm commenting on the spare tire issue. I've always been led to believe that even if you have to call for service to swap out the tire, the good news is that you have the spare immediately available. That way you can drive your coach to the nearest service place to get attention. The key is that you can drive & not wait for a tow. It's a lot easier to get someone to show up with the tools for a change vs. a truck large enough for a tow. It kind of keeps it in your control.

Now, with that said, where do you get a spare tire mount? I have a 25' P-30 chassis and I need a spare tire mount.

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I have heard horror stories of RVers being ripped off on a tire while on the road.

As in, "How bad do ya want it? How much money ya got?"

The last time I bought tires, some of my responses were:

"19.5? never heard of them."

"We don't carry them, because our machine won't handle them. (this from a Firestone company store)"

"Special order only. three days to a week. Lemme check the warehouse."

"We don't do motorhomes because they are too big for our shop/lift."

--------------------------------------------

And all this, mind you, was in Los Angeles county. The mind boggles at the thought of what one would hear in the red counties.

I should point out here that P30 19.5 wheels allow really easy bead breaking, and have a real deep drop center, so changing a tire is pretty easy. Or putting in a mushroom plug yourself from the inside.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post