Forums    General Discussions    O, Canada!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

O, Canada!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flagaway-CANADIAN-FLAG-M...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Smiler Smiler Smiler Smiler

hehe

Did I hear someone say that in time of great emergency that would become the Canadian flag..just kidding to all our dear friends from up north.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
If you're confused, order the one that's marketed in France - it's just white SmilerFrowner

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Lee, I found it. Below is a picture of the French flag.

Bill N.Y. Wink

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
We certainly are a snitty,tacky, albeit historically accurate pair, aren't we? Smiler

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
We certainly are a snitty,tacky, albeit historically accurate pair, aren't we?
"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country.

France has usually been governed by prostitutes."
---Mark Twain

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
---General George S. Patton

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
---Norman Schwartzkopf

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."
---Marge Simpson

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure"
---Jacques Chirac, President of France

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee."
---Regis Philbin

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it."
---John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein?

Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret.
---Conan O'Brien

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq.

After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of France!"
---Jay Leno

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag."
---David Letterman

Wee, wee or as I like to say "Me, Me"
---Bill N.Y.

REPLACEMENTS FOR THE FRENCH NATIONAL ANTHEM:

"Runaway" by Del Shannon,

"Walk Right In" by the Rooftop Singers,

"Everybody's Somebody's Fool” by Connie Francis,

"Running Scared" by Roy Orbison,

"I Really Don't Want to Know" by Tommy Edwards,

"Surrender" by Elvis Presley,

"Save It For Me" by The Four Seasons,

"Live and Let Die" by Wings,

"I'm Leaving It All Up To You" by Donny and Marie Osmond,

"What a Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers,

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin

"Raise Your Hands" by Jon Bon Jovi

And on a serious note:
When the French pulled out of NATO 40+ years ago and declared Americans must close down their bases in France, Secretary of State Dean Rusk had a bitterly caustic response. Should we dig up the graves of American soldiers in Normandy, too, and take them home?

No French answer was recorded.

So Lee, with friends like these...

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
When Canada offered the maple leaf flag for consideration my grandmother was very much in favor of the change. When the flag was adapted my Grandmother who had lived in the United States for half a century at this point remarked, "At last we have our own flag”, my Grandmother was French Canadian.

Given this foundation I think I am in a position to offer a little personal insight and hence some small clarifications on the French flag. As the French do not stand and face their enemies to surrender the suggestion that the flag is white is inaccurate and disingenuous.

The French flag was designed to match the stripe on the back the French military uniforms, we see this in the fashion conscience of the French; haute couture and the like. The flag may appear white at first inspection but it is actually a subtle hue of that portion of the visible spectrum lying between orange and green.

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Holy granola timnlana, that was great. I could almost hallucinate on the imagery of you post.

By the way did I ever share with you my experience in Studio City with the Bangladesh Concert movie, brownies and a girl named......uh....what was her name..

It was like 40 years ago so it doesn't matter except as I recall they had this cool throbbing movie screen....cooool!

They just announced that France is in charge of the "robust" force protecting the buffer between Lebanon's military "hesballah" and Israel. This could be really bad for Israel.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
with friends like these...

Bill N.Y.

Does anyone remember when France tried to destroy our economy by plotting to cash in all the money we had given them as gold certificates using the Special Drawing Rights? Nixon scotched that one.

After two wars, France was an intact country because of us, and France had an economy because of Bretton Woods, which was organized and funded by us. Or should I say that US dollars made Bretton Woods work. And that cochon used it to try to destroy our economy. Our economy did not collapse, but Bretton Woods did. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

I have relatives from two wars buried there.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:
...it is actually a subtle hue of that portion of the visible spectrum lying between orange and green.
Yellow? This just goes to show you that you can't please everyone. What could the country of that flag had done to get these people upset?

That's the best looking French flag that I could find.

Bill N.Y.

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
N. Y. Bill:

As I am sure you know the picture of the burning French flag was taken in Ebloastan, formally Elbonia (do an internet search on “Dilbert” for details) before the revolution put their women back in bags.

The men still sport the traditional beehive beau-font hairstyle and a form of dress, clearly illustrated in your picture, inspired by the labels on American waffle syrup bottles of the last century.

The women wear gloves at all times after they are married to prevent serious lacerations from running their fingers through the heavily hair sprayed doos of the men. This was an issue for American men in the 1960s but thanks to our evolved sense of style is no longer a serious issue except at a few truck stops well off the main highway in the extreme west of Texas (do an internet search for Kinky Friedman to get the details).

Even after the country changed their name the people of Ebloastan are still correctly referred to as Eblonians.

I am sure you are aware of these commonly known facts about Ebolastan but what is not so well known is that the pigeon is a sacred animal in Ebolastan. The common gray pigeon is called, when translated from the spoken Ebolastan language, there is no written language in Ebolastan, “The aerobatic feathered rat of beauty that leaves blessing on my car”.

Well needlessly to say the place is just full of pigeons and the photo was taken in front of the French embassy (The Eblonians have lots of oil) after the French served squab at a formal dinner for the Ebloastanian secretary of state who was heard to remark “This is delicious and the bones crunch just like good corn fed rat but there is no tail to hold this delicious tidbit, what is it?”

This experience was similar to a real life one I had fifteen years back when one of my co-workers had several sides of pork flown to Cairo on the American embassy plane and we were barbequing them in the courtyard of the Marriott hotel. We were endlessly approached by well moneyed Saudis in their silk Armani suits and Kuwaitis in their silk and cashmere or glistening linen Galabias followed by their wives in string bikinis (remember this is Cairo not Saudi Arabia) who all remarked “what a wonderful smell what are you cooking today?” Shocked that we were eating pork they to a man took long slow pulls on their martinis and promptly left telling us that eating pork was a religious abomination. My Jewish wife had two plates and lightning did not strike so go figure.

No one burned any flags and we went to the English Embassy the following Sunday to watch the Egyptians and English play cricket thus illustrating all was still well in the world despite Willie's barbequing in the courtyard of the Marriott.

No French were at the Barbeque and no pigeons were harmed.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Holy granola timnlana, that was great. I could almost hallucinate on the imagery of you post.

By the way did I ever share with you my experience in Studio City with the Bangladesh Concert movie, brownies and a girl named......uh....what was her name..

It was like 40 years ago so it doesn't matter except as I recall they had this cool throbbing movie screen....cooool!

Dave:

We have gone to the Hollywood Bowl for the past (some big number) years so my musical stories one might think would not intersect your own experience in Studio City. This is not the case.

Some number of years back one of our guests baked brownies for us to eat at the bowl and after dinner well before the show started we each had one. Well the first half of the show went well and at half time we went back to the picnic basket to search for some half time goodies and discovered that the brownies were all gone. After a little discussion we were informed by my wife "Yea I heard they were 'special' brownies but I ate one and nothing happened so I ate the rest." "How many was that dear?" "Oh seven I think."

Oh dear god were are in for it now, my wife is not a person of the brownie generation and did not understand that unlike a glass of wine the effects are not quite as immediate.

The second half of the show was chamber music and in a moment of quiet between the carefully developed conversations of the instruments where listeners can sigh, cough and meditate on the music thus far my wife digging her finger nails into my arm screamed at the top of her lungs "Make the stage stop breathing". We no longer eat ‘those’ brownies and come to think of it while Lana does bake now and again she has never made brownies. It has been long enough that the other members of the audence no longer point at us and titter as they share secrets behind covered lips when we arrive and this is good.

Timothy

P.S. My boss thinks I am testing code but the real joke will be when I turn in my notice after labor day. Motovated? Not at the moment, why do you ask? You should expect a drop in the number of my posts next month. I guess I will have to focus on the quality rather than the quanity of my posts then but for the time being that is not the case.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
AAAAHHHH...............now I know who that was.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
Oh no Bill goes to the Bowl too. I should have remembered before my last posting.

I suspect we will hear about this again in Quartzsite.

Bill, thank you for all the help on the engine. I will post a updates after this weekend.

All the best:

Timothy

Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
That's where I got the throbbing screen thing, we did discuss that before. I lived in Reseda and I never wondered at that time why the only place where they were showing the Bangledesh Concert was in Studio City. Nice little drive for a movie but that girl, what ever her name was had to go..

There is no such thing as the good 'ol days"