Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Owner...kinda...with a round key question
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Sandytoes
posted
Hello Barthmobilers,
I have lurked at this site off and on over the years, have just signed up, and have a question...for now. More questions will be coming.
I lurked because my parents own a 22' toaster(no other details yet) and a 30' ? (don't know the model yet). Anyway, I am taking over 30', it hasn't run in years, will fix it up and look forward to travelling.
What is an issue right away are those little round keys for opening compartments. They don't work, I'm using needle nose pliers and tweezers. Where can I get new keys and locks to bring things up to snuff?
I'll expand on the signature info as I get it. The only time I've used one of the coaches was the big one, had a front tire blow a 100 km from base, in the middle of the mountains, no cell reception, on a weekend. Spent two and a half days at a small layby off the main TransCanada highway. 24 hour noise. Blown tire ripped out lots of wiring so only the engine systems ran. Not the best intro to RVing but here we go again. Wish me luck. Lots of prep work to do so I'll be back looking for help.
Cheers,
Cam

Posts: 80 | Location: Duncan, BC Canada | Member Since: 05-31-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Cam, welcome to the world of Barthmobile, many of us are at the Barth GTG in Milford, Indiana but I am sure someone will be able to answer your question as I know some people have replaced the locks on their Barth's. In the meantime try the search function and use the key work "lock" and see what comes up.

The GTG will be over Sunday so I am sure you will get an answer soon.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I have found that most RV dealers have the key. I got mine a a Winnebago dealer. It is a southco lock

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandytoes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I looked at the key and there in big letters is Southco. Pliers are working for now. Today fired it up, backed onto driveway, pumped up tires and airbags. Seems OK for now. Don't want to put on the parking brake, hence the rock. Brakes feel good. I'll take it for a highway run tomorrow for a systems check. If it passes, then a 800km journey thru the mountains to home.
BTW, the unit was bought through Barthmobile in '06, from Stubbs in South Carolina. 1991 28' Regal.

Posts: 80 | Location: Duncan, BC Canada | Member Since: 05-31-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandytoes
posted Hide Post
Ooops, re-size please. Just saw the Photobucket instructions. Will attempt in the future. Sorry.

Picture of Sandytoes
posted Hide Post
I tried to delete the huge photo and re-submit with two resized photos. I don't have permissions.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I don't recognize the ventilation device behind the BR curb side window Confused

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sandytoes
posted Hide Post
They are on both sides, look like they let the windows be open a few inches without blowing curtains around and blocking rain. Labelled 'MaxxAir Vent Corp Tampa'.

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Labelled 'MaxxAir Vent Corp Tampa'.

Thanks.
Co. still is business, but only roof vents and AC now.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Too bad, those look like they would be nice for ventilation! Thumbs Up

Man you got some really OLD rocks around there!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5177 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
They (Maxxair 00-455000 Window/Maxx Louvered Ventare)are on EBAY:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-...uvered/dp/B0027XGFUW

Price: $43.72 & FREE Shipping.

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
You mean you folks didn't get one when you bought your Barth? I have one if I didn't throw it out. The window was open when I got to Yuma. I used a scoop shovel to shovel the 4 inches of Arizona red dirt.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:
They (Maxxair 00-455000 Window/Maxx Louvered Ventare)are on EBAY:

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-...uvered/dp/B0027XGFUW

Price: $43.72 & FREE Shipping.

Interesting. Thanks, Doug. did not see them at website.

Picture of Sandytoes
posted Hide Post
Well, I made it home fine. At least one set of brakes started rubbing metal on metal on the way. Drove like a dream and milage was very good. First cop I saw pulled me over, thought I wasn't wearing a seatbelt because no shoulder strap.
Plugged into to AC at home and most of the systems/devices work like the roof AC, lights, fridge, microwave. Time to start pulling brakes apart, probably master cylinder, maybe lines/hoses too. Quite a rats nest of wires under the dash, gonna be fun tracing that stuff out.

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Make sure you replace any rubber brake lines. They tend to swell shut with age and the fluid cannot return after being pushed to the wheels, making the pads drag.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post