Forums    General Discussions    Barth info tag seeking breakdown from the Barth Masters!
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth info tag seeking breakdown from the Barth Masters!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted

Just got it sent to me. I have to drive 5hrs to get there, I may take a bus! And bring her home to Maine, then prep for a road trip x-country!

Please give me some good news, I'm told she runs like a champ, has 101k well serviced miles.

Thanx in advance, Jeff aka Wharf Rat

I'm going to see that Grand Canyon......and I'm going to do it in style!

Posts: 52 | Location: Rockland Maine | Member Since: 07-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Jeff,the data tag shows the following numbers

8604-0067-36RD-C
8604 April, 1986
0067 Sequential build number, 67th Regency built of the bus type. Does not include the MCC styled Regencies.
36 Length of coach
RD Regency Diesel
C Floor Plan I think

1RP1A5862F1US1068
MCC chassis with Detroit Diesel 8.2 Liter engine.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nick, Owner says this unit has independent susp. front and rear? Is this true? Also, is this the driveline with weak axles, if I put more HP to the wheels? Think my friend is going to fly me down tomorow in his light plane, I'm pumped! Going to make a donation!

I'll probly just keep her stock anyway, told it gets 12 mpg all the time!

Posts: 52 | Location: Rockland Maine | Member Since: 07-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
It is the MCC chassis with the full independent suspension. Also the axles and brakes that have been questioned in the past. now with that said there are owners that love these chassis and wouldn't have anything else. The handling is said to be great.

Having said this, I have never owned one and would have bigger concerns with the 8.2 than I would with the brakes and axles. Larger Brakes are available.

Nick

PS: if you go see this coach please see if you can find the VIN stamped on one of the frame rails near the front of the frame. There might be an error in the VIN listed on that tag. We have TWO coaches with MCC chassis 1068.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You definitely want to check the coach out thoroughly, as chassis parts can be difficult and expensive to get. The engine also tends to be a bit fragile. I don't know about the rear axle (Bill N Y does), but that may make repowering even harder to do (especially if it's IRS - can't just drop in a new axle).

Frankly, I suspect the 12 mpg claim - I get that with a lighter coach and smaller, contemporary engine.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Can a 36foot Regency really have a GVWR of only 22,000# ? My 32' is 34,500# and that seems like his is way too light.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The 22k is legit

Changing an axle on these is really a drop in event - it's not too difficult to do with the right tools.

The engine does not stand up to any overheating conditions, but as I've stated in the past, it wouldn't keep me from purchasing one.

I've been told that these coaches really do get 11-12 miles per gallon.

You will need to become friends with Chris Hoagland at MCR http://www.motorcoachrestoration.com/

There is also another person who sells parts for these in California - can someone help me out with posting a link and/or phone number.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Independent rear suspension!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would go broke buying U-JOINTS ROTFLMAO

Nick

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Here's my advice. Pass on this coach. Take a nice plane ride, then pass. I know you're excited and I know you are a capable wrench, but dealing with an older RV is a bigger task than most and I really want you to see that Grand Canyon. Wait for a Cummins powered (8.3 preferred), Spartan or equal chassied Barth. You'll be glad you did.

I was just reading a post on the Wanderlodge site where a fellow LXi owner backed into a stump. $12,000 later he was back to normal with a new CAC, radiator, fan and associated parts, The body wasn't even touched. Just reached up and kissed the cooling system.

The best of these things are a bit of a money pit, but why look for trouble. Unconventional = pain and funding!

Everyone on this site knows I speak my mind even at the risk of irritating the current owners of "unconventional" rigs. When I ran a motorcycle shop years ago I got a good lesson in loyalty when guys swore by their leaky, unreliable Triumphs, Harleys, 2 stroke Kawis & Suzukis. Those were the best damn bikes made until about an hour after they traded them for a reliable bike. Well, the Harley guys just suffered to be honest ROTFLMAO

Even in modern times I rode my friends Yamaha Road King 1800. The floor boards were sending off sparks and aluminum chunks when I put it into just a moderately hard corner. Thought I was gonna pogo that hunk of pig iron. Couldn't wait to get back on my R1200GS BMW. What are those Japanese engineers thinking? Thumbs Down Violence

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 07-06-2011 10:24 PM Hide Post
Independent rear suspension!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would go broke buying U-JOINTS

Now that there's some funny ....er....stuff!

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted Hide Post
Thanx everyone, just got off the phone again with the owner, think I'm going to go for it! She's big and light and a fuel mizer to boot. Going to fly down with my friend, captn of the boat I've engineered on for the better part of the past twenty years. Owner says she burns no oil starts great even in the cold with no smoke shows, Well maintained, radiator was replaced because of a chunk of pipe that fell off a truck in front of him, being a mechanic (and pilot too) he shut it down and had it towed. Has all the records and books to give me, I realy think he's a honest man. From what I have found, Barth owners are a pretty cool bunch! I'll set it up with a temp alarm and baby my new baby! He's going to pick us up at the airport. I'll fill you all in on how it goes.

I've been sporting a Triumph belt buckle for over thirty years and worked on brit cars, Healys, Jags, MGs ect. since I was kid (Dads shop)father had the fastest Austin Healy Sprite in New England in the late sixtys early seventys. This must be why this Ol' rig found me!! Thanx for the advice though Corey, Love is blind!! I will look her over real well though for sure. I was crazy years back to run a Triumph Trident with a velorex sidehack to FLA for Daytona week! Towed it home though, I was broke (my body) not the machine!!

Wish me luck, say a little prayer, please! As I will for you all.

Thanx again!

Peace, Jeff aka The Wharf Rat

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well maintained, radiator was replaced because of a chunk of pipe that fell off a truck in front of him, being a mechanic (and pilot too) he shut it down and had it towed.

Wow...OK....red flags are popping up all over the place, but it's your funeral as they say. deadhorse

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Good luck! It may not be all bad - heck, I know people who voluntarily owned a British vehicle!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted Hide Post
I'm loving it Smiler Did you guys see my edit or sense it, wow! I hope she's solid, tight and strong running even more now. Just don't throw any VOODOO hokeus pokeus on me will ya ROTFLMAO

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is that you search this site thoroughly and read everything on MCC. You will then be making an informed opinion.

I have known several FMC owners, and got a ride around a road race course in one, driven by a very good motorcycle racer. I was blown away by the handling. Absolutely blown away.

There is a story about Parnelli Jones and Mario Andretti racing their FMCs around Riverside. I was really sorry to have missed it. It was way before video cameras, but it was described as being astounding.

Once you drive it, you may fall in love with the handling.

The two MCCs I have seen were later ones, with the Regency style bodies. The interiors of them were the nicest Barths I have ever seen. Maybe Don from Niagara remembers one of them from a Barth Rangers rally at Q.

I am not the person to give you mechanical advice, as my choice is a P30 because of its fixability.

However, the cautions about overheating require that you think about towing and climbing steep hot grades.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post