Forums    General Discussions    What does it take to be a Barthmobiler?
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What does it take to be a Barthmobiler?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will stifle your urge to point out their errors in picking a coach that will be turned into mulch

Way to go Rusty...Just put my morning coffee through my nose! LOL ROTFLMAO

Can't wait to use that line on my Bro-in-Law's Southwind........ deadhorse

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
And I just had that wonderful feeling of "upgrading" and " modernizing" after 10 years as a busnut with a 1960 GM 4104. We are going 30 years back in to the future with our Barth. Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

- You will come to understand the value of an older coach that won't fall apart faster than you can maintain it.

That sums up why I own a Barth. This is RV number 8 or 9 for us, going back to the Sixties. All previous were stick and staple. Cheap construction by unskilled labor and dry rot finally did me in.

I was always limited my investment (both emotional and financial) in previous RVs, as I knew they would not be around long enough to see any return.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Olroy, your post was right on. You either have to have the skill to do it yourself or deep pockets. Add to that, physical ability. I don't have the skill, have a bad back, and don't have deep pockets. When I bought the 85 Regal, I thought my son-in-law would help, but he doesn't have the time, what with being gone 50% of the time and 4-year old triplets and a 35 acre horse farm to take care of when he's home. Tere's a good sport, but we are both 'technically challenged'.
Maybe an alternative would be a Barth trailer. We have the technical know how to keep one of those running. At this point, anything is a possibility. Tere's out there working her a** off, and the more she does, the more problems she finds. She replaced the starter motor yesterday only to find almost all of the wiring near the exhaust manifold is toast and has to be redone. Add to that the rusty gas tank, rusty fuel tank sending unit, rotting gas lines that she is trying to replace, right side manifold heat shield that won't fit the way it's supposed to, aux radiator fan that doesn't work, timing that's off, and Milford seems to be most unlikely. Maybe someone who has a nice Barth trailer might want to do a trade for the Regal. It's really quite nice and we've had everything replaced by professional mechanics that had to be replaced. Money has just now become an issue.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'm right there with Jim. I had the skill, but physical ability was declining, though I had a 19-year old grandson to help with the heavy stuff.

I managed to drop about $6K in repairs, mods & improvements to the Barth, & things went fine until 2005 when I spent 6 days in a hospital in Phoenix with a heart problem that turned out to be an uncorrectable blockage that knocked my heart capacity down by about 30%. One of my sons flew down & helped drive home.

While I recuperated I had ambitions of finishing the upgrade with grandson's help, but he died in an auto wreck that summer.

We made one local weekend run in the Barth, but I decided I couldn't handle it any more. I was determined to not let it molder away from disuse. We marketed it for about a year, & finally sold for less than half of what we had in it.

We now have a 1995 Class "B, low miles, well-maintained, pristine for its age, that I hope we will be well enough to get some use out of locally this summer. We've had boats, and/or RVs for more than 40 years. It's hard to give up the dream, & I still have something to putter with when enough ambition arises. There are cheaper toys, but I never learned to play with them.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
I suggest a membership with Coachnet or similar road service so when you have one of this Luddite moments as your horseless carriage leaves you stranded on the side of the road no mafia wrecker service or tire service will take you to the cleaners. And remember Murphy's law.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Like I said, if you own an old motor home, don't be in a hurry to go anywhere. No matter whether you can fix it yourself or have to get someone else to do it, Coach Net at least will get you towed to someplace comfortable. I think about Carl and Betsy Feren in some small town in maybe Nevada for a month. But they had the time and the patience, and the willingness to work on it and the money it took. And attitude makes a big difference.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Like I said, if you own an old motor home, don't be in a hurry to go anywhere.
Jim

Also........try not to travel home on Sunday evening. Everything is closed.

Over all the years of weekend recreation and travel, I have had to do some horribly makeshift jake-leg fixes because all the parts stores were closed on Sunday night. Frowner

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
...I have had to do some horribly makeshift jake-leg fixes because all the parts stores were closed on Sunday night. Frowner
I wouldn't know what you were talking about. Ooops

That's my story Mr. D.O.T. Officer, and I'm sticking to it. Wink

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
On the not so serious side you do not have to name your dog "Barth" to point out what kind of coach you are driving. Talked to a man walking his little dog (a snarling little jalapeno popper) and he told me his dog's name was "SOB" because his coach was a SOB (he was also wearing the matching jacket for the SOB). Cannot keep them newer SOBs apart, they all look the same, no personality or character. On the other side I could walk thru the RV park at 5am and holler "Barth Barth" ROTFLMAO (Doris)

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
On the not so serious side you do not have to name your dog "Barth" to point out what kind of coach you are driving. Talked to a man walking his little dog (a snarling little jalapeno popper) and he told me his dog's name was "SOB" because his coach was a SOB (he was also wearing the matching jacket for the SOB). Cannot keep them newer SOBs apart, they all look the same, no personality or character. On the other side I could walk thru the RV park at 5am and holler "Barth Barth" ROTFLMAO (Doris)

Heck, Mrs Gimble named her oldest son after their motor home.

Anybody remember Barth Gimble?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about Fernwood 2 Night? (later renamed America 2 Night)? I think his name was Barth Gumble and his sidekick was Jerry Hubbard?

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I bought the 85 Regal, I thought my son-in-law would help, but he doesn't have the time

Jim and Tere,

Perhaps there is an honest mechanic type that you can work a symbiotic deal with, sort of a time share kinda thing like they do with airplanes. There are probably dozens of people who would put in the mechanical time for a weekend or week of use throughout the year. As hard as it may be to see her taillights leave the yard, in the right circumstances this could be a win/win for people in your situation. I'll call it the "Barth First Mate" program. Tere can be promoted to management then!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patch1st:
Are you talking about Fernwood 2 Night? (later renamed America 2 Night)? I think his name was Barth Gumble and his sidekick was Jerry Hubbard?

Yeah, that's the one. His sidekick was played by Fred Willard, but I don't remember the stage name.

That might be my all-time favorite TV series.

That and The Invaders

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Yeah, that's the one. His sidekick was played by Fred Willard, but I don't remember the stage name.
Here you go Bill... host Barth Gimble (Martin Mull) and his fractious sidekick Jerry Hubbard (Fred Willard). Never heard of it til now.
quote:
Fernwood 2 Night (or Fernwood Tonight) is a comedic television program that ran from July 1977 – September 1977. It was created by Norman Lear as a spin-off/summer replacement from Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. It was a parody talk show, hosted by Barth Gimble (Martin Mull) and sidekick/announcer Jerry Hubbard (Fred Willard), complete with a stage band, Happy Kyne and His Mirthmakers (featuring Frank De Vol as the ironically dour "Happy" Kyne, and Tommy Tedesco as one of the guitarists). Barth was the twin brother of Garth Gimble from Mary Hartman.

Like Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, Fernwood 2Nite was set in the fictional town of Fernwood, Ohio. The show satirized real talk shows as well as the sort of fare one might expect from locally-produced, small-town, midwestern American television programming. Well-known actors usually appeared playing characters or a contrivance had to be written for the celebrity to appear as themselves. (In one episode, Tom Waits' tour bus happened to break down in Fernwood.)

After one season of Fernwood, the producers revamped the show the following year as America 2-Night. In this second version, Barth and Jerry's show moved to Los Angeles (actually, they claimed to be broadcasting from "Alta Coma, the unfinished furniture capitol of the world!"). and is broadcast nationally on the fictional UBS network (presumably a reference to the film Network), whose slogan was "We put U before the BS". This change allowed the show to now have well-known actors on the show as themselves.

In 2001, Martin Mull and Fred Willard reprised their roles in a stage appearance and retrospective at the US Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, Colorado. The pair also appeared together in the final seasons of Roseanne as a gay couple.

Reruns aired on Nick at Nite from 1990 to 1993, on TV Land in 1996, and again on TV Land sporadically between 2001 and 2003, as part of the TV Land "Kitschen", a weekend block of campy programming hosted by Mull and Willard that aired at midnight.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post